The Student Room Group

Found out the guy I like smokes/takes the occasional pill on nights out...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by natashapt
So what you're saying is you basically would let your daughter go out with someone that did drugs? Seeing as you took the matter so lightly. pah.

'Does drugs' is such a stupid term. It groups smoking marijuana in with injecting heroin. Clearly they're the same...Not. So don't treat them the same.

Making the point of whether or not someone would let their daughter go out with someone who takes ecstacy every now and then, in order to prove the point that she shouldn't go out with someone takes it every now and then is simply the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Some parents don't even want their sons/daughters going out and having sex, so by that logic, she shouldn't go out with a guy who wants sex either? Right.

That is why the comment was so stupid, well that and the use of the term 'pills'. I wasn't saying that I would actually let them (I don't actually have a daughter btw but I can't imagine I would approve).

Ecstacy itself is an incredibly safe drug. I'm failing to see the issue here, he's not forcing her to take it, he doesn't do it often and when he does do it, he's doing a pretty safe drug. As David Nutt said, you've more chance of dying Horse Back riding that you would dying from Ecstacy, yet, if he was going horseback riding every couple of months and she was complaining, everyone would be calling her ridiculous. The death rate for ecstacy is about 1 in 200,000 users, compared to Alcohol which has a death rate of 1 in 2,000 users.

So please enlighten me, where is the issue and what is the problem?
Reply 81
Smoking and the odd pill? He must be one crazy cat. Bet he mixes his drinks aswell the little scamp.
Original post by You Failed
'Does drugs' is such a stupid term. It groups smoking marijuana in with injecting heroin. Clearly they're the same...Not. So don't treat them the same.

Making the point of whether or not someone would let their daughter go out with someone who takes ecstacy every now and then, in order to prove the point that she shouldn't go out with someone takes it every now and then is simply the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Some parents don't even want their sons/daughters going out and having sex, so by that logic, she shouldn't go out with a guy who wants sex either? Right.

That is why the comment was so stupid, well that and the use of the term 'pills'. I wasn't saying that I would actually let them (I don't actually have a daughter btw but I can't imagine I would approve).

Ecstacy itself is an incredibly safe drug. I'm failing to see the issue here, he's not forcing her to take it, he doesn't do it often and when he does do it, he's doing a pretty safe drug. As David Nutt said, you've more chance of dying Horse Back riding that you would dying from Ecstacy, yet, if he was going horseback riding every couple of months and she was complaining, everyone would be calling her ridiculous. The death rate for ecstacy is about 1 in 200,000 users, compared to Alcohol which has a death rate of 1 in 2,000 users.

So please enlighten me, where is the issue and what is the problem?

It's not the fact that he does drugs, it's because she doesn't want to be associated with someone who incorporates that lifestyle. She's fearful it may develop into something more dangerous, and if she were to fall for him, that she would then be part of that world. Even though it may not seem dangerous now, it might transform into where he does it every few days for a buzz or whatever, and she might feel pressured in that situation. He wouldn't have to force her but can you imagine being straight laced and having a girlfriend who does drugs regularly? You'd feel out of place in their world, especially if a lot of their friends did it too.
I know these are all "ifs", but they must be "ifs" taken into consideration if she is falling for this guy. She is within her right not to want to date someone who does drugs, I would not either, but I would never go out of my way to change someone to stop them just because I don't agree with the concept. This is where her problem lies, because she is falling for him, but doesn't agree with the idea of him doing drugs, so therefore doesn't know whether to cut her losses or hold out and hopes it was just a "phase".
Reply 83
OP, I didn't see anywhere in which you said you wanted to change this guy. You only asked for advice because you were uncomfortable with some of his - how you say? - leisure activities.

I think the debate on here about recreational drugs is exactly the kind of feedback you should be getting. My advice would be to educate yourself about drugs, then talk to him about it and decide whether or not both of you are happy to get more involved with each other. You are both free to choose how you live and who you spend time with.
Woah, **** son, someone call Jeremy Kyle

/unnecessary exaggeration
It's not the fact that he does drugs, it's because she doesn't want to be associated with someone who incorporates that lifestyle. She's fearful it may develop into something more dangerous, and if she were to fall for him, that she would then be part of that world. Even though it may not seem dangerous now, it might transform into where he does it every few days for a buzz or whatever, and she might feel pressured in that situation. He wouldn't have to force her but can you imagine being straight laced and having a girlfriend who does drugs regularly? You'd feel out of place in their world, especially if a lot of their friends did it too.
I know these are all "ifs", but they must be "ifs" taken into consideration if she is falling for this guy. She is within her right not to want to date someone who does drugs, I would not either, but I would never go out of my way to change someone to stop them just because I don't agree with the concept. This is where her problem lies, because she is falling for him, but doesn't agree with the idea of him doing drugs, so therefore doesn't know whether to cut her losses or hold out and hopes it was just a "phase".

This was the big load of nonsense I've read, how many times do you want to say the same thing?

There's no more of a problem with the 'lifestyle' of taking ecstacy once every few months than there is in drinking every weekend, in fact there's more of a problem with drinking every weekend. So that's a issue made out of nothing.

Fearful it may develop into taking it every few days? Are you just taking the piss now? Do you seriously know *that* little about what you're talking about? You might want to go and read something before making stupid statements like that. I can half understand the point of going on to do other things but realistically, that's not going to happen, if the guys only doing it once every few months and the only other thing he's doing is drinking and smoking, he's not suddenly going to start smoking crack. People don't just suddenly lose all sense of what's a good idea and what's not after they've taken a few different drugs you know. Then there's also the fact that, if he did start doing something really bad a few years down the line when they were involved, he'd have the moral sense to not do it if she asked him not to.

You seem to have the idea that if you smoke some marijuana or take ecstacy every now and then that you must live in this underground 'world' and you must only be friends with drug dealers and that you can't just live a normal life, so she'll be forced into that one. What. A. Load. Of. Crap. The only difference between his lifestyle and hers is that every few months he'll take a bit of ecstacy when he's out in a club. There's no feeling out of place, no being part of a different world, no being pushed into doing it or anything like that so stop pretending it is like that.

I'm still failing to see the issue at hand here. There is no difference between him doing it and him not doing it, apart from on one night of the week every now and then and even she admitted, she couldn't even tell he was on it...
Reply 86
What would I do? Um, nothing. You only live once. Let him have his formative adolescent experiences! :tongue:
This was the big load of nonsense I've read, how many times do you want to say the same thing?

There's no more of a problem with the 'lifestyle' of taking ecstacy once every few months than there is in drinking every weekend, in fact there's more of a problem with drinking every weekend. So that's a issue made out of nothing.

Fearful it may develop into taking it every few days? Are you just taking the piss now? Do you seriously know *that* little about what you're talking about? You might want to go and read something before making stupid statements like that. I can half understand the point of going on to do other things but realistically, that's not going to happen, if the guys only doing it once every few months and the only other thing he's doing is drinking and smoking, he's not suddenly going to start smoking crack. People don't just suddenly lose all sense of what's a good idea and what's not after they've taken a few different drugs you know. Then there's also the fact that, if he did start doing something really bad a few years down the line when they were involved, he'd have the moral sense to not do it if she asked him not to.

You seem to have the idea that if you smoke some marijuana or take ecstacy every now and then that you must live in this underground 'world' and you must only be friends with drug dealers and that you can't just live a normal life, so she'll be forced into that one. What. A. Load. Of. Crap. The only difference between his lifestyle and hers is that every few months he'll take a bit of ecstacy when he's out in a club. There's no feeling out of place, no being part of a different world, no being pushed into doing it or anything like that so stop pretending it is like that.

I'm still failing to see the issue at hand here. There is no difference between him doing it and him not doing it, apart from on one night of the week every now and then and even she admitted, she couldn't even tell he was on it...

Yeah as i said in my post, they are a lot of "ifs" , i didn't say they were certainty or fact if you'd bothered to read properly. I'm teling you how a girl who is falling for a guy would view it, she would not think of how things would logically turn out, she'd imagine the worst extremes or the best extreme (ie. him not taking it at all). Instead of all your "im so high and mighty" act, read that I wasn't challenging your view in anyway, just trying to show how a girl who is very much falling for a guy would see the situation.
Yeah as i said in my post, they are a lot of "ifs" , i didn't say they were certainty or fact if you'd bothered to read properly. I'm teling you how a girl who is falling for a guy would view it, she would not think of how things would logically turn out, she'd imagine the worst extremes or the best extreme (ie. him not taking it at all). Instead of all your "im so high and mighty" act, read that I wasn't challenging your view in anyway, just trying to show how a girl who is very much falling for a guy would see the situation.

Actually originally you were trying to tell me to stop seeing the situation so lightly, well, you implied it.

So, then, since there are so many if's and but's and maybe's and that you agree the girl isn't being rational or logical, then we can agree that it's silly and that there's no real issue (which I've said several times). I had no problem seeing it from her point of view at the start but what I saw was ridiculous and made no sense, hence, my posts.
Actually originally you were trying to tell me to stop seeing the situation so lightly, well, you implied it.

So, then, since there are so many if's and but's and maybe's and that you agree the girl isn't being rational or logical, then we can agree that it's silly and that there's no real issue (which I've said several times). I had no problem seeing it from her point of view at the start but what I saw was ridiculous and made no sense, hence, my posts.

There is no REAL issue , the issue she is concerned with is only whether she can be with someone who uses recreationally or not. You didn't need to imply that I was such an idiot either, because I'm not :smile:
There is no REAL issue , the issue she is concerned with is only whether she can be with someone who uses recreationally or not. You didn't need to imply that I was such an idiot either, because I'm not :smile:

Yes and I was arguing that it shouldn't be an issue at all because there *isn't* an issue.

If I implied you were an idiot, I didn't mean to, so I apologise for that.
Reply 91
Having dated guys who smoke and drink when I do neither I'll give you the advice I wish I had years ago: don't expect to change him, you'll only end up disappointed.

It's best to just accept the person as they are, and if they quit doing those things for whatever reason then it's a bonus.
Use and abuse, same thing. Either way you're harming yourself. This is my opinion and you're entitled to yours, but you cannot tell me I'm wrong, as this is only my opinion and judgement on the matter. I don't think drug use is right from people I know around me, yet I know some people will go through life using drugs and it will never affect them in the way it affects some unlucky people. I just wish some of the lucky ones could see what the unlucky ones do encounter.

Use and abuse are most definitely not the same thing! Is someone who has a casual glass of wine over the weekend the same as someone who binges dangerously? Is someone who smokes the odd bit of weed at festivals the same as a stoner who stays in his room all day? Is someone who took LSD once with a group of close friends for the experience the same as a psychotic acid head?

The world is not black and white - there are more shades in between than we can imagine.

I do agree with you that it can be a slippery slope, and some people would be better off having never tried certain drugs (and then getting addicted) in the first place. But it doesn't mean the distinction isn't there.

It's a cliche by now but alcohol and especially ciagarettes cause much more harm than many illegal drugs. Yet your black and white view seems to ignore this and just says 'illegal drugs=bad'.

And one more thing. If you was to, for example, take some ecstasy and feel the profound sense of oneness, connection and empathy with others, even if just for those few hours, surely you would have a better understanding and your mind would be open. Come and drop with me tash. I can show you the view from button moon :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending