The Student Room Group

Instant rejection for predicted UCAS points below course requirements?

Today my head of year 13 gave back my UCAS application saying that I would need to check if my predicted grades on it translated into enough UCAS points my course requirements state; I was told that if not, my application would be sent and the universities would instantly reject me.

Is this true?

I'm skeptical as predicted grades rarely dictate a candidate's final outcome sigificantly.

Also, I'm unsure what predicted grades on my application represent, is it what I'm predicted to get for my A2 assignments, or is it a predicted overall grade for AS and A2?
Reply 1
It's your overall A2 grades, and maybe just ask one of your teachers to increase your expected grade? It's not that big a deal really
No - people below the usual requirements can get offers if the rest of the application is strong - but it depends how competitive your course is and how many other applicants who are equally strong and meet the requirements.
No, it doesn't generally mean an instant rejection, though it increases the chances of it happening.

Your predicted grades are what they expect you to achieve as your final A-level grades.
Reply 4
Original post by naomidawn
It's your overall A2 grades, and maybe just ask one of your teachers to increase your expected grade? It's not that big a deal really

Yeah I'm already considering that! lol

thanks for the reply!
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose
No - people below the usual requirements can get offers if the rest of the application is strong - but it depends how competitive your course is and how many other applicants who are equally strong and meet the requirements.

Yeah I may have to go for some less highly acclaimed courses. the only one I'm really worried about rejection is Bournemouth University. They want 340 points!
Reply 6
Original post by Potally_Tissed
No, it doesn't generally mean an instant rejection, though it increases the chances of it happening.

Your predicted grades are what they expect you to achieve as your final A-level grades.

But hang on, one guy said it was final A2 grades and you say overall. How do I calculate overall? Add my AS and A2 predicted grades together?
Original post by Überlamb
But hang on, one guy said it was final A2 grades and you say overall. How do I calculate overall? Add my AS and A2 predicted grades together?

"A-level grade", "A2 grade", "final grade", "overall grade" all tend to be used to mean the same thing. It consists of the AS modules you already did, plus the A2 modules you are yet to do, ie. The whole A-level subject. Your predicted grade is what you are expected to get for it.
Reply 8
Original post by Potally_Tissed
"A-level grade", "A2 grade", "final grade", "overall grade" all tend to be used to mean the same thing. It consists of the AS modules you already did, plus the A2 modules you are yet to do, ie. The whole A-level subject. Your predicted grade is what you are expected to get for it.

Oh right! Stupid question but so how should I now calculate my final grade predicted points?
I'm doing
2 GCE Adv Levels
1 OCR Nat Certificate
(So I have my AS grades for my GCEs but not my OCR grade because it's ICT)

Stop me if I'm being to reliant on your help c:
Oh right! Stupid question but so how should I now calculate my final grade predicted points?
I'm doing
2 GCE Adv Levels
1 OCR Nat Certificate
(So I have my AS grades for my GCEs but not my OCR grade because it's ICT)

Stop me if I'm being to reliant on your help c:

Using these tables work out how many points you stand to get from your predicted results. AS grades, along with individual assignments and the teacher's opinion, were most likely used to generate your predicted grades so it's therefore unwise to disregard predicted grades and use just your AS grades as a guide.
Reply 10
Original post by RightSaidJames
Using these tables work out how many points you stand to get from your predicted results. AS grades, along with individual assignments and the teacher's opinion, were most likely used to generate your predicted grades so it's therefore unwise to disregard predicted grades and use just your AS grades as a guide.

Sure thing! Do I add my AS grade points to my predicted grade points?
Sure thing! Do I add my AS grade points to my predicted grade points?

You only add the AS grade points for the subjects you're not continuing to A2 Level, and only if the unis you're applying to accept AS grades as part of their offer.
Reply 12
Original post by RightSaidJames
You only add the AS grade points for the subjects you're not continuing to A2 Level, and only if the unis you're applying to accept AS grades as part of their offer.

Oh. Thats lame, whats the point in AS then. Well I guess in that case I won't be applying for a course at Bournemouth Uni, they want 340 points!
Oh. Thats lame, whats the point in AS then. Well I guess in that case I won't be applying for a course at Bournemouth Uni, they want 340 points!

the point in AS is that it forms half of your final grade
Reply 14
Original post by salty_candy
the point in AS is that it forms half of your final grade

I'm so confused
I'm so confused

A levels are a two year course, the grades you get in the first year (so, your AS year) is combined with the marks your get in your second year (A2) to make your overall grade.
in terms of UCAS points, don't worry about it too much. all you need to know if that you only use the points from the highest level of qualification (so, if you need 320 points then that would be 320 points made up of your A2 grades. only include AS grades if it's specified in the offer, and only include the AS in your points if you didn't carry it on to A2 )
i don't think im making sense so ill do an example because i'm too tired to make my brain come up with logical sentences right now.

HI! I'M TIM.
tim takes
Maths
Psychology
history
last year, he also took English but he dropped it after AS. he got a C

tim has an offer from the university of cheesey examples, the conditions of this offer from UCE are:
320 ucas points from 3 A levels

so tim needs to get ABB, AAC or A*BC in maths, psychology and history

Tim also has an offer for the university of poor explanations, the conditions of his offer from UPE are:
320 ucas points from 3 A levels and one AS level

as he already has a C in AS english, giving him 40 points, he needs:
BBC, ACC, etc.. in maths, psychology and history
to meet the offer
(edited 13 years ago)
If you are ever in doubt, you can always phone or email the university admissions office with your qualifications/expected grades. I've found this to be very helpful, they will advise you whether they would consider you or whether they probably would reject you (but will advise on how to make your application stronger for next year), that way you arent using up some choices with universites that are going to outright reject you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest