The Student Room Group

Why does everyone get a boner over maths?

I found Edexcel Maths easier than my Business Studies A-Level.
Everyone here is always putting down essay subjects.. maths is piss..

maths - easy
further maths (fp1-fp3, m2, m3, m4) - easy
additional further maths - yawn
step I, II - simple, teasing

I can honestly say that Business is harder than afm..

step II is harder though, lol..

I'm just saying show a lil' respect to the essays you maths bumbandits!

or am i mistaken?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because normal people can't do maths.
Reply 2
nah it's cos losers at school try and make it sound really complex. especially A-Level maths.. oh my god you'd think it was a bloomin' nobel prize course
Reply 3
Business studies is a piss take, maths is not.

Some people do understand maths, some don't.

Simple as that.
Different people have different skills in different areas to varying degrees.

Despite your apparent knowledge in maths, you don't seem to be able to grasp that.
Reply 5
Original post by LW5x01
Business studies is a piss take, maths is not.

Some people do understand maths, some don't.

Simple as that.

not really mate, it's not 'simple as that'

you've given me no reason as to why the following couldn't be true:

maths is a piss take, business studies is not

etc...
Reply 6
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Different people have different skills in different areas to varying degrees.

Despite your apparent knowledge in maths, you don't seem to be able to grasp that.

that's not my point. i don't understand how all the people who take maths think they're the dog's nuts. nothing to do with difficulty really.. just some inflated aura. history is harder imho..

i guess we can always say 'each to their own'.. but we could say that to any opinion.

somebody who can express themselves eloquently is more impressive than someone who knows maths
Original post by SeanChamp
I found Edexcel Maths easier than my Business Studies A-Level.
Everyone here is always putting down essay subjects.. maths is piss..

maths - easy
further maths (fp1-fp3, m2, m3, m4) - easy
additional further maths - yawn
step I, II - simple, teasing

I can honestly say that Business is harder than afm..

step II is harder though, lol..

I'm just saying show a lil' respect to the essays you maths bumbandits!

or am i mistaken?

I agree about maths and further maths, but I do not agree with further additional maths or STEP. Further additional maths had some statistics concepts that aren't usually treated until near the end of the first year/beginning of the second year university courses (moment generating functions, estimators and their bias). STEP requires far more practice than all the a-levels I know something about.
Reply 8
that's not my point. i don't understand how all the people who take maths think they're the dog's nuts. nothing to do with difficulty really.. just some inflated aura. history is harder imho..

i guess we can always say 'each to their own'.. but we could say that to any opinion.

somebody who can express themselves eloquently is more impressive than someone who knows maths

history, business studies are essay subjects and maths isn't.

It seems you are struggling with essay subjects, while you are pretty good with maths, right?
Reply 9
Original post by LW5x01
history, business studies are essay subjects and maths isn't.

It seems you are struggling with essay subjects, while you are pretty good with maths, right?

Not really, I do Econ at LSE and took a political theory course in my 1st year... i got a 74. i'm better at maths though, admittedly
Reply 10
Original post by IrrationalNumber
I agree about maths and further maths, but I do not agree with further additional maths or STEP. Further additional maths had some statistics concepts that aren't usually treated until near the end of the first year/beginning of the second year university courses (moment generating functions, estimators and their bias). STEP requires far more practice than all the a-levels I know something about.

fair play, i was probably a little OTT about the afm.
i think that STEP is more about the enjoyment.. it's the point where you can't get by through just studying really hard - which is what i found to be the case up to afm. I don't particularly enjoy maths (i study econ)
I also found maths (and further maths) really, really easy.

I never understood how people could 'not get' maths. Its just a series of techniques you mechanically apply.
Reply 12
Original post by HistoryRepeating
I also found maths (and further maths) really, really easy.

I never understood how people could 'not get' maths. Its just a series of techniques you mechanically apply.

maths was really, really easy for me.
further maths was easy.. but not really,really easy - fp3 threw a cheeky curve ball lol

You seem to have missed the point of my post entirely.

Clearly, to someone who has a lower level of skill to you (when it comes to maths), an achievement will be worth more to them than it would to you.

If you can not grasp that, you fail at life.
Reply 14
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
You seem to have missed the point of my post entirely.

Clearly, to someone who has a lower level of skill to you (when it comes to maths), an achievement will be worth more to them than it would to you.

If you can not grasp that, you fail at life.

i'm talking about the people who choose to do maths... these people are normally good at maths.. and then they talk all day about how they have to solve some triangles like it's hard.. looking down at coastal erosion etc.. load of ****

your point applies to every scenario in the world.. so thanks for your incisive input
lol you're just doing A levels

Nobody gets a boner over A level maths. The type of maths people get boners over is doing proofs in university. A level stuff is only hard if you haven't seen the material before, once you've learned how to do it and practiced the methods it just becomes a case of repeating the same thing every time.

In university when you are put in a group with a few other people all given the same problem and you all spend the whole week trying different approaches to solve the same problem, thats when you earn erectile respect.
Reply 16
Original post by HistoryRepeating

I think it's a matter of most people finding it incredibly dull as much as anything else.
If you think maths is so easy, then solve this problem:

Find the number of subsets of (1,2,3...2000), the sum of whose elements is divisible by 5.
Reply 18
I heard that about Bizzo when I was at school.
Edexcel Math is a joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending