The Student Room Group

International Relations, confusing UCAS application, help needed :)

Hey all,

I finished my A-levels in 2009 and have held 4 offers from unis, of which two for Medicine. I haven't been able to take any of this up because of my fees status and financial situation (I am an asylum seeker and therefore have to pay foreign tuition fees. I am not allowed to work so can't earn the money for it and have no access to public funds, loans, grants etc. No trust or foundation is willing ot fund me.)

So I've had to take a year out, and am now forced into my second year out. I haven't been able to do anything structured during this time like a lot of people do and of course I can't travel outside the UK. My asylum situation is still unresolved; the gorvernment can't send me back but are unwilling to grant me a leave to remain yet.

However these two years have been very beneficial for me. I have volunteered for thousands of hours (literaly) have gained an interpreting qualification and am currently studying Spanish.

I have four A-levels (Chemistry - A, Biology - B, History - B, Russian - A), and have now changed my mind about Medicine and hope to apply to study International Relations.

Sorry for rambling on, just thought it'd be essential to share some detail...

So my question essentially is: how can I explain in my PS that I haven't had the choice in my gap year and yet don't think I've wasted it?

Also: how can I explain my change in subject choice especially if I'm applying to a uni from which I have previously held an offer?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Lusi :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
1) You don't really need to justify your gap years, just discuss the things that you've done in them that are of relevance to your application.

2) Again, you don't need to explain it - just appear enthusiastic and passionate. It's unlikely they'll still have your application on file, and it will be going to a different department.
I would explain it. It stands to your credit.

I would also speak directly to the admissions departments of the 4 unis that have offered you places and ask for advice re: funding.
Reply 3
Original post by HistoryRepeating
I would explain it. It stands to your credit.

I would also speak directly to the admissions departments of the 4 unis that have offered you places and ask for advice re: funding.

Thanks for this. If I was to explain it, how could I do it without being negative about my situation?

Thanks
Original post by Lusine
Thanks for this. If I was to explain it, how could I do it without being negative about my situation?

Thanks

Just describe it factually I suppose, like you have done here.
Reply 5
I dont see any benefit of explaining why you took the gap years. You seem to have been very constructive within your gap years so i would talk about this. Its much more positive.

If you explain you have not been able to accept a university place previously due to funding issues then they may be wary of offering you a place because your asylum status has not changed, they may question whether you will be granted funding....Just a thought but i think you would be using up valuable space within your application focusing on the wrong things or may come across as negative.

Also it is unlikely they will have your previous application and a different department will now be dealing with your application.

Good luck in whatever you decide! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by traveller09
I dont see any benefit of explaining why you took the gap years. You seem to have been very constructive within your gap years so i would talk about this. Its much more positive.

If you explain you have not been able to accept a university place previously due to funding issues then they may be wary of offering you a place because your asylum status has not changed, they may question whether you will be granted funding....Just a thought but i think you would be using up valuable space within your application focusing on the wrong things or may come across as negative.

Also it is unlikely they will have your previous application and a different department will now be dealing with your application.

Good luck in whatever you decide! :smile:

That's very helpful, thanks a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending