The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

What are the actual STUDENTS like?

At the risk of sounding incredibly shallow, I need to ask this as its important for my Uni experience. What are the students at Aberystwyth like?

Fair enough theres no clubs there etc, I can live with that. But only if the PEOPLE are FUN.

But are the students there mainly welly wearing country people? Who don't wear nice clothes or makeup? I'm a city girl from Birmingham and I don't know how easy it would be for me to adjust. Please understand that I just don't want to be surrounded by people who have entirely different lifestyles to mine - I'm not THAT petty. I'm really into fashion and clubbing and music, but I chose Aberystwyth because it sounded like a different experience for me. Also because it matched my credentials :smile:

I spent a month in the French countryside, and they all lacked effort in the appearance department and wore rain macks. I don't know that much about the countryside apart from this.

Also on an unrelated topic - hows the talent...if there is any? haha

Also if i'm entirely wrong about the welly-wearing part, don't laugh at me - im new to this! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go have a look? I'd recommend this before going to any uni to be honest.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by likeastar--x
Please understand that I just don't want to be surrounded by people who have entirely different lifestyles to mine - I'm not THAT petty. I'm really into fashion and clubbing and music, but I chose Aberystwyth because it sounded like a different experience for me. Also because it matched my credentials :smile:

Bit of a contradiction?

Don't go Aberystwyth everyone there is wierd and you won't like it :biggrin:

On a serious note, everyone loves it here. And I wouldn't worry about who is here already because as they say, it is what you make it.

As already stated, go and visit. I wouldn't consider any uni without visiting it first. But make sure you go on a uni visit day, there you will meet staff and students and be given loads of info and be shown around the uni aswell as the accomodation. If you are anything like me, what I saw on the open day basically made Aber my favourite uni.
Reply 3
I don't care if you're new to this, I'm laughing. Sorry.

Yes, of course the whole of the University population is wearing wellies. Yes, of course, there are no clubs. Yes, of course, no one is fun. Yes, of course, no one likes nice clothes or makeup. Need I go on?

Don't come here. Clearly not your kind of place.
Reply 4
Original post by Æbbie
I don't care if you're new to this, I'm laughing. Sorry.

Yes, of course the whole of the University population is wearing wellies. Yes, of course, there are no clubs. Yes, of course, no one is fun. Yes, of course, no one likes nice clothes or makeup. Need I go on?

Don't come here. Clearly not your kind of place.

Not sure whether this is some kind of sarcasm or not. Either way its not really appreciated? I have to make a decision soon and you aren't helping.
Reply 5
Original post by JordE
Bit of a contradiction?

Don't go Aberystwyth everyone there is wierd and you won't like it :biggrin:

On a serious note, everyone loves it here. And I wouldn't worry about who is here already because as they say, it is what you make it.

As already stated, go and visit. I wouldn't consider any uni without visiting it first. But make sure you go on a uni visit day, there you will meet staff and students and be given loads of info and be shown around the uni aswell as the accomodation. If you are anything like me, what I saw on the open day basically made Aber my favourite uni.

Aha yeah I guess it is. I meant more of a location difference, but I was hoping that some of the other students were also city people, although theres a chance they all the students just flock from countryside areas to another countryside area?
I am going to visit at some point, but it may not be on a Uni open day. I probably won't get as good a perspective on the students, which is why I thought i'd just ask. And I didn't really have much leeway with my choices, so I kind of had to put Aber down, whether I liked it or not. Now its just choosing out of my 5 choices...
I went to look round and everyone was a farmer or of a farming family, loads of people missed lectures during the harvest aswell, it was so weird.......

OP I'd avoid it if I was you.
Reply 7
Original post by theronkinator
I went to look round and everyone was a farmer or of a farming family, loads of people missed lectures during the harvest aswell, it was so weird.......

OP I'd avoid it if I was you.

We also lure a policeman to the town every year and burn him inside a giant wicker man...
Reply 8
Aha yeah I guess it is. I meant more of a location difference, but I was hoping that some of the other students were also city people, although theres a chance they all the students just flock from countryside areas to another countryside area?
I am going to visit at some point, but it may not be on a Uni open day. I probably won't get as good a perspective on the students, which is why I thought i'd just ask. And I didn't really have much leeway with my choices, so I kind of had to put Aber down, whether I liked it or not. Now its just choosing out of my 5 choices...

None of my flat are from the countryside, just to clear this myth up.

Half of them are from Manchester infact.
Reply 9
I went Aberystwyth once for some Animation festival and i remember it taking me an my friends ages to get out of campus as we stumbled around some winding driveway from the main doors only to find that was the long way round. There is a hot blond Woman working in the Spurts Hall too, she was wearing those tight gym pants and her ass was amazing and round and big and juicy.

There is a KFC there so all in all it's definitely a place to visit for the Colonel's Chicken alone!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
University is a diverse place that brings together people from all over the place. There will be many people there that you will have loads in common with. They will not be all the same. You will have no trouble fitting in. Given that more people live in cities than not, it's highly likely that there will be a large percentage of students from city areas like yourself.
Reply 11
Original post by JordE
We also lure a policeman to the town every year and burn him inside a giant wicker man...

Although I heard last year you burnt a city girl from London instead due to policeman unavailability. Is this true?
Reply 12
I have heard of many that have ventured into the lands of Aberystwyth, but I have heard of none who have ever returned......
Reply 13
I just went on some review site for Aberystwyth, and apparently the girl to guy ratio is high and the guys are all farmers who look like gandalf, so most girls have to settle. considering my first choice is royal holloway which was voted hottest uni by fhm, its not really a vote of confidence...lmao
Reply 14
I just went on some review site for Aberystwyth, and apparently the girl to guy ratio is high and the guys are all farmers who look like gandalf, so most girls have to settle. considering my first choice is royal holloway which was voted hottest uni by fhm, its not really a vote of confidence...lmao

Then don't apply to Abery?
Really, this is quite a no brainer.
Reply 15
Aber is about 3 hours from the nearest city, which is in England. (Excluding St. Davids - but let's be honest, with a population of 2,000, it doesn't exactly count). Don't go to Aber unless you want to be trapped in a small seaside town for 3 months at a time. People I know who go there love it, but they do say it gets very dark, cold, depressing and grim around winter - not helped by the fact they can't really go anywhere.
Reply 16
Original post by Hooj
I remember it taking me an my friends ages to get out of campus as we stumbled around some winding driveway from the main doors only to find that was the long way round. There is a hot blond Woman working in the Spurts Hall too, she was wearing those tight gym pants and her ass was amazing and round and big and juicy.

There is a KFC there so all in all it's definitely a place to visit for the Colonel's Chicken alone!

Thats Mandy-Lynn Randyman, her father/ fiance was one of the first pioneers to settle in Aberystwyth.
The KFC here is awsome though, but this might be because I haven't visited any others in a while. But hey it must be good, I've eaten there and not only am I still alive but I want to go back!

Theres a twist in our small farming town that you have to kill and provide your own chicken but you get a 10% discount for it.

Original post by JHar
Although I heard last year you burnt a city girl from London instead due to policeman unavailability. Is this true?

Although I wasn't here last year I hear that was the case. There wasn't a police investigation or nothin...

I hear this year we are getting Nicholas Cage though. Anything to get our crops to grow.

Its interesting someone mentioned harvest, because my degree is in Combine Harvesters, its one of the newest in Aberystwyth and replaces the degree in Horse and Plough. Its one of only three degrees the uni offers after their degree in Managing Large Redneck Families and A Study of Naming Conventions in Large Redneck Families. Next year we will be offering a degree in Farmer Hobbies, which will include studies on chewing tobacco and even goes as in depth as the best way to shout YEEHAW at the rodeo, I won't spoil too much of the surprise though.

If the looks of the students actually mean more than the town, lifestyle and degree you will be studying then not only do I beg you not to come to Aberystwyth (As you will just be wasting someone betters position) I also urge you to consider wether your decision to attend university was a wise one. I am being serious.

University isn't a 3 year party and it isn't like Legally Blonde either, because Reece Witherspoon would have failed, not become a succesfull lawyer.

People come here to get a degree so that they can be more successful in later life or because their chosen path requires them to get a degree or for some other good reason. Everyone I know at the moment is highly motivated to getting that degree because they realise how important it is, and the reason everyone I know here is highly motivated is because all those who weren't have left and given up because its not a walk in the park.

Yeah, there are parties and they are awsome. The nights out are awsome and the people here are awsome. This is a legit reason to choose Aber as a uni to go to, but its not a legit reason to just go to uni. Its just a sort of added bonus.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
I have a mate who goes there and he seems to be having a pretty bloody good time. Go visit and check out the surroundings.

:rofl:

Also, obvious troll is obvious?
Reply 19
Original post by ForgettingWhatsername
:rofl:

Also, obvious troll is obvious?

Thought so too. Checked WhatUni, and found a review that used those words (paraphrased somewhat), so might be a legit brat here.

Quick Reply

Latest