The Student Room Group

Who is the most logical and intellectual on TSR???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 69Crazyfists
How does this determine who is the most intellectual?

I'd just go out out and buy some digital scales...

Tell me the place where you'll find the cheapest digital scales?

Spoiler

Original post by harr
His solution doesn't work. In fact I'm reasonably confident that it impossible to solve the problem with six coins and two weighings, so you need to do more on the first step (either get down to a smaller group or get some information about whether it's heasvier or lighter).
As 13 isn't divisible by 3, the approach seems unlikely to work with that many coins.

I don't see how 13 not being divisible by 3 causes a problem for his system (actually I'm pretty sure my system can also deal with 13 coins including one fake (you can work out for 5 coins in 2 weighings)), it just alters the specific weighings which you do.

You do appear to be right that you can't do 13 coins with the possibility of none being fake. But this is because 9 doesn't divide by 2, not because 13 doesn't divide by 3. If you had an extra coin that you knew was good, then you could work out for this situation.
Reply 42
Original post by shamim2k9
Sorry if im just being plain stupid, but in 3) im presuming you select 2 from the 3(with fake in) to compare with 2 from the 9 you have established are not fake. I accept that IF the 2 you select from the set of 3, weigh the same as the 2 you select from the 9 gold ones then the unweighed one is fake. But I don't understand how you would find the fake one if the 2 you select from the 3 would weigh differently to the 2 real ones :s again sorry if im being silly :biggrin:

umm you misread his solution entirely

disregad this i have seen the error of my ways
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by harr
His solution doesn't work. In fact I'm reasonably confident that it impossible to solve the problem with six coins and two weighings (even when you have standard coins to which to compare yours), so you need to do more on the first step (either get down to a smaller group or get some information about whether it's heasvier or lighter).

his solution is fine he finds out in step 2 whether the fake is heavier or lighter

disregard this i have seen the error of my ways
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Ha! I did it in just under an hour. Am I a genius?
Original post by looking
Ha! I did it in just under an hour. Am I a genius?

Explain please :smile: , im baffled :cool:
This doesn't really prove who is most intellectual or logical, but assuming he isn't lying and that he really did do it in 4 minutes from first principles, then it does prove that HistoryRepeating is very good at discrete maths. Though quite likely he is big headed enough already.

Also, I really wish I had kept trying to see how long it took me to do, rather than just giving up after 2 minutes :-/
Reply 47
Original post by Converse
Just to be a dick I'm going to neg rep this post. :smile:
BTW I'm not the same person who neg repped your other post.

:rolleyes: Probably should have seen that coming :p:
Reply 48
try and flog the gold coins to a pawn shop and the one they reject is the fake one. if they accept all of them as real who cares you're quids in :borat:
Original post by James Gregory
This doesn't really prove who is most intellectual or logical, but assuming he isn't lying and that he really did do it in 4 minutes from first principles, then it does prove that HistoryRepeating is very good at discrete maths. Though quite likely he is big headed enough already.

Also, I really wish I had kept trying to see how long it took me to do, rather than just giving up after 2 minutes :-/

Is it actually correct though? Because it seems the last bit requires a bit of luck (chance) to get it done within 3 weightings.
Original post by shamim2k9
Is it actually correct though? Because it seems the last bit requires a bit of luck (chance) to get it done within 3 weightings.

In step (2) he discovered whether the fake is lighter or heavier, so if in step (3) the two coins weigh different amounts, you will know whether it is the heavier or the lighter one you need to choose. If in step (3) they weigh the same, then it is the unweighed one which is the fake.
In step (2) he discovered whether the fake is lighter or heavier, so if in step (3) the two coins weigh different amounts, you will know whether it is the heavier or the lighter one you need to choose. If in step (3) they weigh the same, then it is the unweighed one which is the fake.

This is wrong because Step 2 will not tell you if the fake is heavier or lighter if you weigh 3 non fakes against 3 non fakes.

But chance would end up playing part. Step one takes 1 weighting. What if in step 2 you compare 3 from B (which just happen to be gold) against 3 from A (which you know are gold). That would take another weighting and you would then have one weighting opportunity left and 3 coins with a fake in it. It is therefore impossible to find the fake without using more then 3 weightings, or chance... I think :confused:
Original post by jolteon
i think someone's mad. your iq low bro? you think you were a 170 and you got handed a 112? sucks man. but don't worry, youll look cool at the pub quiz when you get an answer or two more than the builders.

low IQ haha, I couldnt care less what my IQ is, but I have an offer to study and arguably the third best university in the UK, now I dont know about you, but I'd rather study at a top university then have an IQ of 200 and work at tesco's. If I gave the slightest care about what you think, then I'd take the mensa, but its a waste of time. Enjoy boasting about your IQ score from an online test when i'm at my top paid job coming from a top university :wink:
Original post by RupertTheBear
This is wrong because Step 2 will not tell you if the fake is heavier or lighter if you weigh 3 non fakes against 3 non fakes.

My bad, and he now has +9 rep for the wrong solution! I will go back and try to understand yours.
Reply 55
Original post by Eloades11
low IQ haha, I couldnt care less what my IQ is, but I have an offer to study and arguably the third best university in the UK, now I dont know about you, but I'd rather study at a top university then have an IQ of 200 and work at tesco's. If I gave the slightest care about what you think, then I'd take the mensa, but its a waste of time. Enjoy boasting about your IQ score from an online test when i'm at my top paid job coming from a top university :wink:

hey, its not my fault youll never come up with anything inventive man, dont shoot the messenger. youre just not a da vinci or a newton. its okay. you can still be worth something, somewhere. your family will always respect you, even if they hold others in awe.

if you didnt care what i or others thought, you wouldnt have just told me that story about your university prospects and top paid job plans.
Reply 56
Original post by fat_hampster
I don't see how 13 not being divisible by 3 causes a problem for his system (actually I'm pretty sure my system can also deal with 13 coins including one fake (you can work out for 5 coins in 2 weighings)), it just alters the specific weighings which you do.
I misinterpreted his implementation of the sequence idea. If he'd been doing what I'd thought, there would need to be some adaptions that would change the specific implementation (possibly not weighing the last coin at all, for example).
Original post by jolteon
hey, its not my fault youll never come up with anything inventive man, dont shoot the messenger. youre just not a da vinci or a newton. its okay. you can still be worth something, somewhere. your family will always respect you, even if they hold others in awe.

You sound like my little brother, and he is stupid

Original post by jolteon
if you didnt care what i or others thought, you wouldnt have just told me that story about your university prospects and top paid job plans.

You seem to think IQ is the most important thing in the world, just letting you know the world isnt like that. Absolutely noone cares about it. I usually care about what people think, unless they are IQ lickers.

nice talking to you
It's quite an interesting puzzle, even though I failed. It's cool the way there are far more possible approaches than you would first imagine, and that seemingly correct solutions can in fact be wrong.

I'm assuming fat_hampster's method works in that it makes the effort to account for every possibility, though it's not written in a very easy to follow fashion. RupertTheBear's method is quite cool, but it's very complex - I have my doubts that anyone could come up with that just off the top of their head without having first studied some higher-level discrete maths, or at least having done several similar problems before.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Eloades11
You sound like my little brother, and he is stupid

You seem to think IQ is the most important thing in the world, just letting you know the world isnt like that. Absolutely noone cares about it. I usually care about what people think, unless they are IQ lickers.

nice talking to you

ladies and gentlemen, never before has a man been more blind to a troll. i give you the winner of today's lack of perspicacity award!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending