Open University
Milton Keynes

Fee Grants to be withdrawn by Government

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
HLS
OP
Original post by lifemagic
Stupid question, but presumably the computer grant will go too? I'm on year three fully funded but never claimed it, but each year I had a letter saying I can claim one.

So, next year or the year after would be the last time I could go for it?

No I think this is likely to remain, depending on regional decisions.

In England the Computer Grant is funded out of the Access to Learning fund, which is not being scrapped I don't think.

The devolved assemblies/Parliaments are unlikely to scrap it.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
I for one am really scared by these funding changes. My best-case-scenario spreadsheet has all my modules mapped out for completion in year 2013/14. That is with very intensive study, an average of 90 points at once but there are a couple of places where there are 120 simultaneous points. I was expecting that I would have to spread some of those modules out as I progress just to keep my sanity.

I currently get grant support for my OU studies. I have a student loan of around £14k from a previous attempt at a degree which I'm currently paying down. If my fee grants are withdrawn, I don't entirely know what I'll do. Under the current system, I wouldn't be entitled to further student loans because of my previous loan support. I've not seen anywhere that this is likely to change?

I think the OUs statements giving full support to Browne review recommendations are short-sighted and irresponsible. If these loans aren't available to those with previous HE study then any ideas about this giving OU students parity with full time students are out the window. The whole point of the OU is that it provides access to HE to people in a huge variety of situations from all backgrounds. These people aren't going to fit well into the kind of tick-box criteria used by SFE to assess people for loans.

If I could speed up my degree, I would. At the moment worrying about this is sapping away a lot of my motivation to work.
Reply 22
HLS
OP
Current speculation seems to imply that the existing regulations that determine eligibility will be maintained for the new loans system.

By that rationale, if you are eligible at the moment, you should be eligible under the new system. In the past if eligibility has changed mid-course, the government have honoured previous commitments. I wouldn't fret just yet :smile:
Original post by HLS
Yes you are right - FT students on the 2011 system will remain on it throughout the length of their degree course.

PT students - who knows? In the past when changes have been introduced, you were entitled to finish your degree under the legal framework within which you began it..

Does full time mean you are doing 120 points each year? I started my first 10 point course this November, and am starting a 60 point course in January. After that I plan to do 120 points each year. Do you know if this qualifies as "full time"?
Reply 24
Original post by Lazuliblue

Original post by Lazuliblue
Does full time mean you are doing 120 points each year? I started my first 10 point course this November, and am starting a 60 point course in January. After that I plan to do 120 points each year. Do you know if this qualifies as "full time"?

It doesn't! It's not possible to be a full-time student with the OU. Study is always classed as part-time even if you do 120 points, an equivalent to full-time study.

I'm yet to see a statement on this from the OU but I can't imagine how they could ever administer any kind of two tier funding system. How do they identify who should be regarded as a "current student" when it comes to funding? I think we'll all end up in the same boat together.
Job Centre used to call it full time if you were studying more than 0.5 course load i.e. 60 points or more.
Reply 26
HLS
OP
Original post by alibee
It doesn't! It's not possible to be a full-time student with the OU. Study is always classed as part-time even if you do 120 points, an equivalent to full-time study.

I'm yet to see a statement on this from the OU but I can't imagine how they could ever administer any kind of two tier funding system. How do they identify who should be regarded as a "current student" when it comes to funding? I think we'll all end up in the same boat together.

The first part is correct - regardless of intensity of study, you are considered a PT student with the OU.

The second part - currently the SLC are able to administer different funding systems simultaneously. I see no reason they would not be able to with the OU.
Reply 27
HLS
OP
Original post by SunburnedCactus
Job Centre used to call it full time if you were studying more than 0.5 course load i.e. 60 points or more.

To my knowledge this is not true. At the moment they only assess directed learning hours. The OU has no compulsory directed learning hours for most modules and as such, is not assessed as it does not interfere with availability for employment.
Original post by SunburnedCactus

They tried that with me, but I complained and they changed their mind. I doubt that there is a set policy on OU work, it seemed to me like it was a 'make it up as you go along' situation.
Original post by morecambebay
They tried that with me, but I complained and they changed their mind. I doubt that there is a set policy on OU work, it seemed to me like it was a 'make it up as you go along' situation.

I agree with this. OU students studying 120 points or more don't qualify for a reduction in council tax, so clearly they aren't recognised as 'proper' full time students for that purpose. If job centre staff have said otherwise, they're just trying it on :mad:

I wonder if all this will change when the new funding regime is in place though. If the idea is to put OU students on an equal footing with our full time counterparts at conventional universities, does this mean we'll qualify for the council tax reduction, student bank accounts etc?
Reply 30
From what I read today at work, grants will go for most of OU students, I take with me being on min wage I'll have to pay myself or take a loan if they happen.
Totally putting me off study unfortunatly :frown: I'vw just gotten myself out of debt I don't want more but then again I may never pay it back.
Reply 31

Original post by HLS
The second part - currently the SLC are able to administer different funding systems simultaneously. I see no reason they would not be able to with the OU.

What I mean is that many many people have done the odd OU module. Far more than intend or ever intended to study for the degree. The criteria for determining who is currently working towards a degree would have to be much weirder than at a brick uni where it's pretty obvious one way or the other, you started or you didn't.

If they gave students the opportunity to pre-register for degree modules by a certain date to qualify or something, it might work, but the whole joy of the OU is that you can speed up/slow down to suit yourself and adapt chosen modules as you discover where your interests lie.
'this is worrying to me.
Reply 33
How will they work out the cost of modules? Surely not £3000 per module as that would be too expensive, maybe cost the whole degree but still let you pick what modules you want to do and when.

I don't really want to get into debt but if I can get loans than I'll have to. As long as funding is still seperate from 'brick' uni's as I've already have 1 years full time funding.
Reply 34
For people not entitled to any subsidy, it could well end up cheaper enrolling overseas. There are places based on the OU model, Hong Kong has an OU, as does Australia etc. and they've just started one in Malaysia, not an OU but the same model, with the logo 'people's university'.

With most countries, if you obtain a degree there, then it's easier to get a work permit afterwards. I bet with many places they would recognise the OUUK work already done, and if some courses in the UK are going to be six grand, even if you need a pre-booked air ticket to get to an exam somewhere, it will be a lot cheaper perhaps. We're looking at it all, the new system, as a downside, but perhaps it's going to be a ticket out of the UK.

Who wants to hang around and see this country in its death-throes?
Reply 35
HLS
OP
Original post by lifemagic
Who wants to hang around and see this country in its death-throes?

I think this is a little melodramatic. The OU model is quite cost efficient anyway so I would hazard a guess that even with the funding cuts, it is likely to remain substantially cheaper than the alternatives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending