The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Maths Bsc - 4 years!?

Hi

I was considering Glasgow as my firm choice as I really like the sound of it and for Maths Bsc the typical offer is ABB, not mentioning further Maths, which I take, which is also likely to increase my chances of getting in.

However does anyone know why the course is 4 years long? Is it to do with the Scottish Education system? Fast route version which is only three years requires three A's so wouldn't be a good insurance choice.

Is an extra year a disadvantage worth taking having a very good ABB reserve or is it beyond consideration?

There are no other ABB universities I want to go to, but in balance would it be better applying to an AAB university who have a good chance of accepting ABB, seeing as I save a year?

Thanks
I'm currently at glasgow, and my degree involves studying 3 subjects in the first 2 years and then you focus solely on your subject in the final 2, so I'm guessing it may be the same for maths :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Since the Scottish Education system lasts one year less than the English then we do 1 year extra at uni.
Reply 3
Original post by soup
Since the Scottish Education system lasts one year less than the English then we do 1 year extra at uni.

Not exactly - I'm in the equivalent of year 13 in Scotland - S6. I do Advanced Highers which relatively few people do compared to Highers which are done in S5. But it's the Highers that are mainly used for university admissions :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by soup

Pretty much this. Because most of us leave with only sqa highers then honours degrees are 4 years. However if you have sqa advanced highers or a levels then you can possibly get into 2nd year, if they allow it ofcourse.

EDIT: good choice for maths at glasgow though. Apparently their course is really good, but it's HARD!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by (You)
If Scottish universities' degrees were only three years long (like they are in England) - Glasgow would be an AAA university equivalent in England.

So, some/most material you have covered in Advanced Higher/A-level will probably be covered again in first year at a Scottish university. This is why second year entry is an option for applicants who do well in their Advanced Highers/A-levels as it would be the same as starting your first year of university in England.

A History: Why are Scottish degrees a year longer than English degrees?

Scottish students typically left school a year earlier so the extra year makes up for the lost school year, however leaving after 5th year (Year 12 to you) isn't common practice any more as more stay on for a 6th year (Year 13 to you).

Do a UCAS search for Maths degrees (again). You might want to look into the structure of Glasgow's degrees as well (they would have told you this at the open day - do you not remember?):

Year 1: Maths - (Physics) - (Chemistry)
Year 2: Maths - (Physics)
Year 3: Maths
Year 4: Maths

All this information is available on their website:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/about/headline_95466_en.html

If you're not willing to a do a four year degree then don't apply to Glasgow unless you're considering second year entry. :smile:

Thanks, I'm definitely not applying!
Original post by robinyourpersie
Thanks, I'm definitely not applying!

Good.

Enjoy your three year degree which is looked down upon in the rest of the world. Hence why many English universities introduced the four year undergraduate "masters", MMath.

American universities, and probably most (if not all) others across the world, require you to do a four year degree as part of their requirements for graduate study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending