The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by GuineaPrig
Nah, Leeds make you do the year abroad in the 2nd year, which I find a bit too scary after only one year of Japanese!

I've read all the negative stuff about SOAS too, but always heard good things about their Japanese department - I like the fact the university is small, too, and the workload doesn't put me off... I can't wait to get stuck in and actually get taught something I've wanted to learn about for years! I looked at the 'Week in the life of an SOAS student' thread and the timetable for Japanese looks really appealing - lots of language lessons, complimented by a few Japanese culture lectures here and there, and no unrelated fillers.

Wow. I'd be scared too! That's quite daunting. Perhaps it's good in terms of progression, but I'd still prefer the year abroad to be in the third year! I was speaking to my family about it, they all say that even just three months in a foreign country really helped them to get to at least a conversational level. A lot of my family can speak at least two languages.. it sucks, I feel so left out! Ha ha

Definitely. Out of all of the other Unis, they seem to get more praise for the amount of time they give for language-learning. If I had the grades, I would've applied too! I like their course layout.

Have you learnt quite a bit of Japanese so far?

Had a listening exam in my Japanese class yesterday. It was a lot easier than I thought, but I'm having a speaking exam next week. =O I am so nervous I'll suffer from mental block. Ha ha. What I find funny is when people don't really think about what they're saying in any langauge they're learning (not saying I'm not guilty for it). For example, the people in my class have a hard time using past tense, like:

Teacher: Shuumatsu wa, nani wo shimash:ta ka? [What did you do on the weekend?]
Student: Geemu wo sh:te, terebi wo mimasu. [I play games and watch TV].

Heh. I can be guilty of auto-reading. Meaning I just glance (I read like this in English, I am used to quickly going through text and summarising in my head). It can mean I confuse words more easily. You can totally see it when some members of my class keep saying, "Dou desh:ta ka? [How was it?]" instead of, "Doush:te desu ka? [Why?]", ha ha. I've been lucky so far in not falling into these traps 'cause I'm too paranoid in class to not carefully think of what I'm going to say. But when I'm e-mailing someone or something, I can make some stupid mistakes. ¬_¬ Ha ha
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jazmine
Wow. I'd be scared too! That's quite daunting. Perhaps it's good in terms of progression, but I'd still prefer the year abroad to be in the third year! I was speaking to my family about it, they all say that even just three months in a foreign country really helped them to get to at least a conversational level. A lot of my family can speak at least two languages.. it sucks, I feel so left out! Ha ha

Definitely. Out of all of the other Unis, they seem to get more praise for the amount of time they give for language-learning. If I had the grades, I would've applied too! I like their course layout.

Have you learnt quite a bit of Japanese so far?

Had a listening exam in my Japanese class yesterday. It was a lot easier than I thought, but I'm having a speaking exam next week. =O I am so nervous I'll suffer from mental block. Ha ha. What I find funny is when people don't really think about what they're saying in any langauge they're learning (not saying I'm not guilty for it). For example, the people in my class have a hard time using past tense, like:

Teacher: Shuumatsu wa, nani wo shimash:ta ka? [What did you do on the weekend?]
Student: Geemu wo sh:te, terebi wo mimasu. [I play games and watch TV].

Heh. I can be guilty of auto-reading. Meaning I just glance (I read like this in English, I am used to quickly going through text and summarising in my head). It can mean I confuse words more easily. You can totally see it when some members of my class keep saying, "Dou desh:ta ka? [How was it?]" instead of, "Doush:te desu ka? [Why?]", ha ha. I've been lucky so far in not falling into these traps 'cause I'm too paranoid in class to not carefully think of what I'm going to say. But when I'm e-mailing someone or something, I can make some stupid mistakes. ¬_¬ Ha ha

hai, nihongo ga chotto wakatteimasu ga, hontou ni jouzu janai desu!

I took the Japanese IGCSE recently to show the universities I'm serious about learning it, however it was hard to stay disciplined about it and I learnt it in rather sloppy ways with inconsistent resources on the internet... plus I had no oral lessons, give or take one or two with my boyfriend who's only a 2nd year student. My understanding of particles like 'ga' is really crap so most of the time if I'm not sure, I'll try and use logic/guesswork... I need structured learning, argghh!

The oral test was really hard, I managed to do the role play task relatively well and my set speech was fine, but I found it hard to respond to the examiner's questions because I'd had so little preparation (I began learning the language by picking up things here and there since I was 16 but I never focused on learning it properly until a month before the exam, heh). The reading comprehension/writing paper was absolutely fine until the last 2 pages, when it became insanely hard and I know what you mean about mental block... I totally got it as the minutes were ticking away. The final paper, continuous writing, I found the easiest and felt more comfortable with expressing my (limited) ability... I'll get the results in January but I don't think I'll get anything higher than a C.

That is why I'm so eager to learn it at university, I'm kind of OCD and need a strict routine and timetable with tutors depending on me to do well, it gives me more motivation - along with the proper books and resources being suggested. If they quiz me about my Japanese ability and suggest being placed slightly higher, I'd really rather not, as I want the opportunity to hone my oral skills from scratch. I'm pretty decent at listening as I've been watching Japanese TV shows for aaaaaages, though.

I'm sure you'll do great in your oral exam, the only advice I can offer really is to try and keep it natural (i.e. you don't need to repeat the whole question back at the examiner and then add your answer, a lot of the time one-worded answers or short sentences are preferable) and if you're not comfortable with gramatically complex sentences, try and keep it short and simple and in your comfort range. That's what the IGCSE notes advised the examiner to encourage, anyway!

Good luck!

Edit: TSR doesn't like Japanese characters ;o
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 222
aha, finally finished my PS. I had to re-read some books to make sure I knew what I was talking about and one of them was The Tale of Genji.

I am praying that my slowness doesn't detract my application in some way. If someone handed it in to me so far behind everyone else I'd be suspicious of taking them. :s-smilie:

Lol it seems that the worrying game has already started :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 223
Original post by aaant
Hertford college - went there on the open day and really liked it, plus they have 2 Japanese fellows which is a plus :smile:
What sort of preparation have you been doing?

Original post by *paperstars*
Same! See you there then :smile: Although apparently the Norwegian Japanese fellow from Hertford is dead scary xD

For prep I've read a soul-destroying book that was mentioned on the website (The Making of Modern Japan), part of 'Embracing Defeat' by Dower, did an EPQ on zaibatsu and have basically been trying to analyse my every thought.
Oh, and obviously JapanToday and stuff from time to time :rolleyes:

What about you? :colondollar:

I applied to Hertford too! Guess I'll see both you guys there.:cool:

For interview preparation I've been reminding myself of the books I mentioned on my personal statement and am making sure to keep up to date with East Asian current affairs. I'll also go through my written work and try to think of any obvious questions. Tbh there's no real way to predict what they'll ask though. :confused:

Is "The Making of Modern Japan" the 1000 pages+ one? :tongue:
Reply 224
Original post by Susant
aha, finally finished my PS. I had to re-read some books to make sure I knew what I was talking about and one of them was The Tale of Genji.

I know how you feel about Genji - just had to read it myself :smile:

Aaaaaah ****ting bricks only a week to interview!!
Reply 225
Wooo. Got interview or Japanese at Oxford! Wadham to be exact!
Reply 226
Does anyone know what the Japanese and cultural studies course at Newcastle is like? Or just their teaching of Japanese in general?

Trying to decide between Manchester and Newcastle :s-smilie:
Reply 227
ffffffuuuuuuuu-

Because of the snow the school's been closed since I sent mine off and my co-ordinator hasn't approved my application. I was already slow and with the approval and reference still not done I'm going to lose another week -__-
Reply 228
Good luck with the interviews everyone who's got them! Hope they're not too stressful. =)

Original post by GuineaPrig
hai, nihongo ga chotto wakatteimasu ga, hontou ni jouzu janai desu!

Yeah, I don't get what TSR has done, but they STILL haven't fixed the issue with not being able to write Japanese characters.

Yes! I was thinking of doing the same thing, a GCSE or A-Level. But after finding out there are no direct resources for this, I just left it. Ha ha, I thought I'd struggle too much. Hope you did well on it, in any case! =D Might've done a lot better than you thought. I've always been better with written language than spoken (regarding foreign languages). I think its because I get more nervous when having to speak or listen to people. My mental block becomes more severe!

For me, doing a Japanese degree was primarily so that I'd have qualifications and skills enabling me to use Japanese professionally. =P Plus, I was always jealous of people doing it in Uni, because they have access to more help and explanations about things that I don't as a self-learner, really =P. But I my friend scans in some of her work from her Japanese classes at Leeds Uni (she likes keeping personal records) and looking at it makes me really excited 'cause it seems quite fun. =P Like being a kid again!.. but with tons of paperwork to go through. =D Ha ha

I really want to find out the reading list I'll be working with!! Exciting. Heard Uni is expensive with regard to the amount of books they want you to go through. ¬_¬ Hopefully I could get away with getting most of them from the library though.

I kind of hope I don't pass any test to go into a higher group. Due to my abilities being all over the place, I bet I could look like I know more when I really don't. Although I know kana and recognise quite a bit of kanji, I don't handwrite much.. so I've probably forgotten all of the strokes, etc (although I TRY to remember for when I do write stuff).. therefore, I'd kind of like to be in the lower classes. Plus, yeah, my speaking is terrible!

I had my listening exam last week, it was really short, actually, and a lot easier than I thought it would be. So, on Tuesday, my speaking exam! It's not like iGCSE-style, it'll be role-play-y. We have to make arrangements with each other, for example:

1: Want to go to the cinema on Sunday?
2: Hmm, Sunday is not good for me.
1: Why?
2: I'm going to a party.
1: How about Saturday?
2: Sure! What time?
1: How about 8pm?
2: Sounds good.
1: Shall we meet at the station?
2: Yeah, let's.
1: Well, see you on Saturday!
2: Bye~!

But in Japanese, of course. I am even more nervous because my speaking partner goes automatic a lot, doesn't always think about what he's saying. =P It can make it hard to get back on track or to say any more than what's been said. In any case, if that's all my teacher is looking for, then that'll be very short, I think. I would add more info., but I don't want to confuse my partner. Sorry, I make him sound really bad, but he's not! Ha ha, I think it's because of the pressure 'cause he's fine otherwise.

Edit: Sorry for this long reply!

Original post by Susant
ffffffuuuuuuuu-

Because of the snow the school's been closed since I sent mine off and my co-ordinator hasn't approved my application. I was already slow and with the approval and reference still not done I'm going to lose another week -__-

Aw, don't worry! I'm sure there are still gonna be spaces around and whatnot. I don't think it should matter too much, in any case. And worst case scenario, you have clearing. =) I know tons of people who applied at LAST MINUTE to Uni (January, if I'm not mistaken) and they got places. I know there's a bit more competition nowadays, but I'm guessing - when they get declined by applicants, they start to dish out those spaces too? ... Whatever the matter, don't hassle yourself over it and good luck, x. =D
(edited 13 years ago)
How's everyone doing offers-wise? For all people applying to SOAS did you get an email saying that application results will not be posted until around March next year? :frown:

Here's my offers so far!
1. SOAS - waiting
2. Leeds - Conditional AAB
3. Sheffield - waiting
4. Manchester - Conditional AAB
5. Edinburgh - waiting

good luck to everyone! :smile: x
Reply 230
Original post by mmm-dorayaki
How's everyone doing offers-wise? For all people applying to SOAS did you get an email saying that application results will not be posted until around March next year? :frown:

Here's my offers so far!
1. SOAS - waiting
2. Leeds - Conditional AAB
3. Sheffield - waiting
4. Manchester - Conditional AAB
5. Edinburgh - waiting

Same choices as me :smile: And yep I got the email too. Thought it was good news (i.e. that it meant they'd reply like, the next day...) but clearly not if everyone got it at the same time haha. :P
Original post by Shuu
Same choices as me :smile: And yep I got the email too. Thought it was good news (i.e. that it meant they'd reply like, the next day...) but clearly not if everyone got it at the same time haha. :P

Have you been to any of the uni open days? I haven't and all I've heard from people is that SOAS's teaching is unbeatable but the student events/facilities and admin are awful! What's your opinion on this? Obviously I'm going there on the open day to make a judgement myself but I'm interested in what you think.

What are your top two choices btw? :smile:

sorry for all the questions I'd just really like to get a second opinion!
Reply 232
Original post by mmm-dorayaki
Have you been to any of the uni open days? I haven't and all I've heard from people is that SOAS's teaching is unbeatable but the student events/facilities and admin are awful! What's your opinion on this? Obviously I'm going there on the open day to make a judgement myself but I'm interested in what you think.

What are your top two choices btw? :smile:

sorry for all the questions I'd just really like to get a second opinion!

Aha, sorry, just thought I'd give my 2 cents..

I went to only 3 open days :tongue: at Cambridge, Sheffield and SOAS - three very different unis. I heard the same thing as you about SOAS, and when I went there I got that exact impression. Although I applied there, I am firming Sheffield mainly because it has an excellent Japanese department too but with a more rounded uni experience. That being said, SOAS looked great, but not for me. I am independent and I could cope, but there would be a question of enjoyment factor - in fact, my mom reckons I would become a hermit at SOAS due to the lack of social activities. :s-smilie: I'd say you definitely need to visit though, to get a feel for the place.

Oh yeah, a deciding factor for me was the fact that I felt so young there! :redface: The atmosphere felt totally different to the others since there were so many mature students. I'm already one of the youngest in my year, and I felt like I was 11 walking around with my mom :colondollar: That may not apply to you - 'specially if you are a mature student :rolleyes: but it unsettled me.
Reply 233
I got rejected from Leeds and Manchester BUT...

GOT OFFER OF BBB FROM OXFORD BROOKE!!!!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm soooo happy and soooo much calmer now I have a place to go :smile:
Reply 234
Original post by smileree
I got rejected from Leeds and Manchester BUT...

GOT OFFER OF BBB FROM OXFORD BROOKE!!!!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm soooo happy and soooo much calmer now I have a place to go :smile:

Congratulations!! :biggrin:
Got an offer from Leeds :smile:))

I just want Sheffield though!
Reply 236
It's now my turn to feel panicky about my lack of a reference it seems :fuhrer:
Original post by Jazmine

For me, doing a Japanese degree was primarily so that I'd have qualifications and skills enabling me to use Japanese professionally. =P Plus, I was always jealous of people doing it in Uni, because they have access to more help and explanations about things that I don't as a self-learner, really =P. But I my friend scans in some of her work from her Japanese classes at Leeds Uni (she likes keeping personal records) and looking at it makes me really excited 'cause it seems quite fun. =P Like being a kid again!.. but with tons of paperwork to go through. =D Ha ha

Ugh, SAME HERE. I'm obsessed with worksheets. I love filling out workbooks and being asked questions, it's something of a fascination of mine, lol. I can't wait to get all my Japanese books for the first year!! I hope I have to buy a workbook like the Genki one. :biggrin:

I really want to find out the reading list I'll be working with!! Exciting. Heard Uni is expensive with regard to the amount of books they want you to go through. ¬_¬ Hopefully I could get away with getting most of them from the library though.

Me too, I want my reading lisssssssssssts, so I can stalk Amazon and look at how many books I can get for 1p. I think the bursary etc. will help with books costs.

I kind of hope I don't pass any test to go into a higher group. Due to my abilities being all over the place, I bet I could look like I know more when I really don't. Although I know kana and recognise quite a bit of kanji, I don't handwrite much.. so I've probably forgotten all of the strokes, etc (although I TRY to remember for when I do write stuff).. therefore, I'd kind of like to be in the lower classes. Plus, yeah, my speaking is terrible!

Totally, me too. As I said before I've done no speaking practice except for the bare basics so I really want to go into the beginner group and make sure I've got a firm grasp of everything and can start practicing orally from scratch.

I had my listening exam last week, it was really short, actually, and a lot easier than I thought it would be. So, on Tuesday, my speaking exam! It's not like iGCSE-style, it'll be role-play-y. We have to make arrangements with each other, for example:

1: Want to go to the cinema on Sunday?
2: Hmm, Sunday is not good for me.
1: Why?
2: I'm going to a party.
1: How about Saturday?
2: Sure! What time?
1: How about 8pm?
2: Sounds good.
1: Shall we meet at the station?
2: Yeah, let's.
1: Well, see you on Saturday!
2: Bye~!

But in Japanese, of course. I am even more nervous because my speaking partner goes automatic a lot, doesn't always think about what he's saying. =P It can make it hard to get back on track or to say any more than what's been said. In any case, if that's all my teacher is looking for, then that'll be very short, I think. I would add more info., but I don't want to confuse my partner. Sorry, I make him sound really bad, but he's not! Ha ha, I think it's because of the pressure 'cause he's fine otherwise.

I'm glad it went well for you, I hope the speaking one went okay, too. The IGCSE exam did have role play in it, I got 15 minutes beforehand to read a sheet that had role play scenarios on it (in Japanese) and I had to figure out what they were trying to get me to do... as well as the pressure of it being in Japanese, it was annoying trying to figure out what all the arrows and pictures etc. were hinting at, it wasn't exactly clear... more like a game of charades, lol. Still, I think I did the best in the role-play test because I got time beforehand to formulate a response in my head. The general conversation was haaaaaaaaaaard, because I'm just not used to it. T_T

I got an offer from Manchester yesterday so I'm really happy, I need to get a B in the IGCSE though and 5 Distinctions, 10 Merits on my Access course (so far 6 Distinctions, 4 Merits, 1 Pass) so I can do it but I can't slip up at all. XD Nervewracking. The fact they didn't want an interview has made me a little more interested in going there than before, as it was my 4th choice really and I couldn't be bothered going up there (sooo expensive and far away), seeing as Sheffield are only asking for 10 Merits and I preferred it overall.
Just got rejected from Manchester today, pretty bummed about it :frown: and no reason with it which was annoying :/

Status so far is:

Newcastle: waiting (email of acknowledgment)
Manchester: rejected :'(
Sheffield: waiting
SOAS: waiting (email of acknowledgement)
Southampton: (to study japanese chinese and german) waiting

First application reply and it's a rejection kinda threw me, worried I'm gonna be left without any acceptances :/ Predicted BBB so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they care about your personal statement as well as grades.

Newcastle and Sheffield are what I'm concentrating on right now after I've lost Manchester, hows everyone else doing? xx
Oxford Brookes :smile:
I deffo wanna Insurance this.
I hope I'm not raining on other people's parade, here.
I'm just happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending