The Student Room Group

I am a unemployed grad, don't care:)

Heya,

Lots of people seem to be stressing about not being able to get work but why? Life's too short to waste it worrying.

I finished uni in june and then went traveling around the world for 5 months. USA, hawaii, fiji, NZ, Australia and back in London because the money run out. I am now just applying to do any work I can get be it data admin, admin, anything. Then after a few months of saving up i'm going to go traveling again:smile:.

Screw getting a proper graduate job in something lame. I'm going to enjoy my life till this recession crap blows over:smile:

Anyone else just chilling and not worrying like me?

I got back to London from traveling last thursday and in that time, i've ate pizza, chinese, gone for a random walk alone, met up with a mate in central london, went to buy chocolates and bought two history books (one on the SS, and one on captain james cook, a guy who's name kept popping up everywhere i went travelling).

Just chill everyone:smile:.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some people are more career driven than you though/have different priorities.
Reply 2
Original post by blue_shift86

Anyone else just chilling and not worrying like me?

Nope. I haven't graduated yet, but I know that I will want to start earning straight away.
Reply 3
Original post by Hooovan*
Nope. I haven't graduated yet, but I know that I will want to start earning straight away.

like but why?!?!? You have your whole life to do that...whereas you don't have your whole life to travel. After all traveling when you're retired and old sucks. Why not travel for a year or so when you are young?...then get a proper job and become a drone like most of society?
Reply 4
Not everyone has the money to go traveling!
Not everyone is rich enough to do that.

Get a grip on reality please.
My career aspirations have been put on hold but I intend to study further starting in January. I'm going for a more vocational route at an FE college which is a big step down in the world but I have lost some faith in the value of academia.

I guess there's no point in worrying about things as you are doing but I'm always wary of becoming complacent and losing my work ethic altogether.

Still, you only have one life - enjoy it as you see fit.
Reply 7
Original post by Law123mus
Not everyone has the money to go traveling!

well stop drinking then! lol. I saved up over the last 4 years from work, uni grants and stuff to go traveling:smile:. I only drank like a pint a month or so cos i saw drinking as a waste of money! I chose to save up that dosh people normally spend on booze to go traveling. :smile:

Even poor people can travel :wink:. My parents didn't give me a penny:smile:.
like but why?!?!? You have your whole life to do that...whereas you don't have your whole life to travel. After all traveling when you're retired and old sucks. Why not travel for a year or so when you are young?...then get a proper job and become a drone like most of society?

Because if you keep waiting too long, then all of that nice degree work that you studied hard for can become obsolete. Why should employers recruit a person who graduated 3 years ago when they could have someone fresh out of uni who still has the drive, knowledge and skills?

I don't think many employers will. By all means get a grad job when you finish university for a couple of years to save up money for this travelling and gain actual experience. Then you can take a couple of years out travelling and have something good to go back into the job market with.
Reply 9
ye im gonna do this but im gonna coach football and learn the game from around the world
What degree did you get?

I plan to get a career as soon as I graduate. If not in Civil Engineering, then I'll stay with Premier Inn and continue to move up the ranks. Spending money is a lot more fun after a period of hard work for me.
It depends if you've money to eat decently...
Reply 12

The idea of dossing around the world for a year doesn't excite me. I'd rather focus on my career, make some money, start thinking about a house, and go on holiday every so often.

For me, the excitement of travelling would wear thin fairly quickly.
Good for you! Might as well travel young because I guarantee you won't have the time when you get a job. When you retire you probably won't be able to do all the things you wanted to do when you were younger. Personally I think travelling gives you more life skills. Independence, the ability to consider other values and cultures. It's all good experience/
well stop drinking then! lol. I saved up over the last 4 years from work, uni grants and stuff to go traveling:smile:. I only drank like a pint a month or so cos i saw drinking as a waste of money! I chose to save up that dosh people normally spend on booze to go traveling. :smile:

Even poor people can travel :wink:. My parents didn't give me a penny:smile:.

If it were possible then i would.
Reply 15
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
What degree did you get?

I plan to get a career as soon as I graduate. If not in Civil Engineering, then I'll stay with Premier Inn and continue to move up the ranks. Spending money is a lot more fun after a period of hard work for me.

i got 2:1 in geophysics undergrad. in hawaii i saw the lava flow into the sea. It was the coolest thing ever! :O. If i'd ever be content with a geophysics job it'd be studying the system of volcanoes in Hawaii:smile:. The big island, hawaii, and Kauai island, Hawaii are deffo a must before you die guys! One of the most beautiful places on earth together with most of new zealand!

have a look at this pic
Reply 16
Original post by inksplodge
Good for you! Might as well travel young because I guarantee you won't have the time when you get a job. When you retire you probably won't be able to do all the things you wanted to do when you were younger. Personally I think travelling gives you more life skills. Independence, the ability to consider other values and cultures. It's all good experience/

Three reasons why I chose to travel post uni:smile:. You sum it up very well!
Reply 17
I just want to get a job as soon as I graduate. But I don't have a burning desire to just work all my life and die! There needs to be some good stuff inbetween as well, so I will want to go travelling sometime, and play playstation of course, that's also fun stuff.
That sounds AMAZING.
I will defenitly go traveling for a while after uni before getting a proper job.
Why even bother travelling, though? I left uni two years ago and basically just sit online doing nothing. Just pick a dead end and chill out 'til you die.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending