The Student Room Group

University/prospective university students-what motivates you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cicerao
Neither.

Firstly, **** off with "WHEN you split up." Secondly, he is proud of me.

Lets be honest, you will split up. I know that and I'm pretty sure you know that. Denying that will not change a thing, it will still happen. All good things come to an end. And adolescent relationships, in 99.9% of circumstances will definitely come to an end.

So again, what will you do when you split up? Lose all motivation for life? Commit suicide? Go on the dole? You shouldn't spend your life trying to make others proud. Do what you want to do because you want to do.

And if he is proud of you, then why do you feel the need to make him more proud? He sounds like an arse.
Reply 21
Original post by Converse
Lets be honest, you will split up. I know that and I'm pretty sure you know that. Denying that will not change a thing, it will still happen. All good things come to an end. And adolescent relationships, in 99.9% of circumstances will definitely come to an end.

No. Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. Plus the fact that 28 is not adolescent.

So again, what will you do when you split up? Lose all motivation for life? Commit suicide? Go on the dole? You shouldn't spend your life trying to make others proud. Do what you want to do because you want to do.

Well, if my husband dies before me I'll be heartbroken but I'll do my best to be a good person and hopefully we'll meet again.

And if he is proud of you, then why do you feel the need to make him more proud? He sounds like an arse.

YOU are the arse. He didn't ASK me to get a degree, I applied before we even met. But yes, he is my motivation in life and he keeps me going when things are hard. If you don't understand that then believe me: it's your loss, not mine.
Reply 22
Original post by Cicerao
No. Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. Plus the fact that 28 is not adolescent.

Well, if my husband dies before me I'll be heartbroken but I'll do my best to be a good person and hopefully we'll meet again.

YOU are the arse. He didn't ASK me to get a degree, I applied before we even met. But yes, he is my motivation in life and he keeps me going when things are hard. If you don't understand that then believe me: it's your loss, not mine.

Oh sorry, my mistake, I should not have assumed that just because you are on a student forum, that you are young. I did not realise that you were an OAP. What are you doing on a student forum anyway? You some sort of paedo?
And, you and your husband will obviously split up. Maybe not now, or ten years, or 15, but at some point you will. Fact.
Also, I am not at a loss. At all...

I must apologise for thinking that what you were saying was coming from an immature child as opposed to someone who has been coerced into denial by what they believe to be love.
Reply 23
Oh sorry, my mistake, I should not have assumed that just because you are on a student forum, that you are young. I did not realise that you were an OAP. What are you doing on a student forum anyway? You some sort of paedo?
And, you and your husband will obviously split up. Maybe not now, or ten years, or 15, but at some point you will. Fact.
Also, I am not at a loss. At all...

I must apologise for thinking that what you were saying was coming from an immature child as opposed to someone who has been coerced into denial by what they believe to be love.

I dunno if you're a troll or if you really are that jealous and/or retarded, so I'm not going to bother to reply. :ninja:
no

on the grounds that they are two different things
Reply 25
Original post by Cicerao
I dunno if you're a troll or if you really are that jealous and/or retarded, so I'm not going to bother to reply. :ninja:

Neither. But I do like the way you avoided my original question. Why do you feel the need to make your boyfriend proud?
Reply 26
Neither. But I do like the way you avoided my original question. Why do you feel the need to make your boyfriend proud?

Why do I have to answer that question? What is it to you?

He's proud of me however and whatever I do and I'm proud of him however and whatever he does (he thinks he's a bad professor but I'm still so proud of him) but if I do well I'll feel like I've tried my best for our future, this is a LONG story which I can't be bothered to explain, so luckily I don't have to.
Original post by Cicerao
I want to make my boyfriend proud of me.

:lolwut: What the... why on earth would you spend 3 years of your own life doing a degree, just to make your boyfriend PROUD? Maybe that's not your only reason, but surely you have a better prinicipal motivation than that? Won't your boyfriend be proud of you whatever you do (within reason)?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by innerhollow
:lolwut: Why on earth would you spend 3 years of your own life doing a degree, just to make your boyfriend PROUD? Maybe that's not your only reason, but surely you have a better prinicipal motivation than that? Won't your boyfriend be proud of you whatever you do (within reason)?

He's already proud of me. No, it's not the only reason.

Why is everyone commenting on this so much? I doubt anyone would even have commented had I said "Make my parents proud," and would just assume I was Asian or something...lol.
Original post by Cicerao
He's already proud of me. No, it's not the only reason.

Yeah... but the idea of the thread was you post your most significant reason. My surprise is that is your most significant reason.

Why is everyone commenting on this so much? I doubt anyone would even have commented had I said "Make my parents proud," and would just assume I was Asian or something...lol.

I haven't encountered anyone give that as their principal reason though, and if they do, it's probably because that's an easy answer to give and/or they don't really know why they made their university choice. Maybe the parents influenced them to choose one subject over another, but then they most likely wouldn't have cared either way tbh. Plus parents are slightly different, they're not "already proud of you" like a close partner/friend would be, because a large fraction of parent's ego is invested in their child.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by innerhollow
Yeah... but the idea of the thread was you post your most significant reason. My surprise is that is your most significant reason.

I haven't encountered anyone give that as their principal reason though, and if they do, it's probably because that's an easy answer to give and/or they don't really know why they made their university choice. Maybe the parents influenced them to choose one subject over another, but then they most likely wouldn't have cared either way tbh. Plus parents are slightly different, they're not "already proud of you" like a close partner/friend would be, because a large fraction of parent's ego is invested in their child.

Ah, okay.

Well, what motivates me is my Love. I was probably being a bit specific when I said him being proud, that's not the main motivation. My main motivation is to do with him, being able to have an income and some other reasons which would take too long to explain which involve his situation right now. The reason I originally applied was...well, I dunno. I just thought I should, as is often the case in schools where they practically make everyone apply. I just kind of drifted into it, heh. :]
Reply 31
Basicly, I am 20 now. I wasted 2 years out of school doing a **** college course, worked for a year and no i am back at college in my final year.

My motivation is to make something of my life, i was close to quitting in May. But thankfully my peers made me see sense. I want to have a degree under my belt for in the future, i know that it wont guarantee me a job when i am out of university but it puts me in the right direction.

My other motivation is about the career i want. Ideally i would like to be a games journalist, but any type of journalism will make me happy. My motivation comes from reading articles on the BBC Sport website about small teams like Gillingham, I like how the writer makes you visualise the feelings and emotions of the fans with what ever they are currently going through. Reading articles makes me think about things I would other wise by-pass and i am always keen to increase my knowledge.
Reply 32
And, you and your husband will obviously split up. Maybe not now, or ten years, or 15, but at some point you will. Fact.Also, I am not at a loss. At all...

In what way is it fact? my parents are still together, my grandparents never split (ok that was a different time), I know plenty that are still together, plenty of people stay together though loads do get divorced but not everyone.

Cicerao - you say boyfriend then mention husband?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Peteo
Is it the career prospects? Passion for your subject? Increased earning potential? Wanting to become more academically intelligent? Enjoy being a student?Something else?

If there's more than 1 reason please state it in order from largest to smallest reason.

Interested in hearing what people say about this.

Thanks.

Cash, lash & gash.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
My parents both worked min wage jobs and hated them, I don't want to do that. So basically I work hard at uni so I don't have to work a ****ty job that I hate and barely get paid for.

This. I want to have a job I enjoy and be able to enjoy a nice lifestyle, preferabley in a warmer country like Australia :biggrin: Having my designs recognised would be pretty cool also :smile:
I love my subject a lot.

Also, I want to do an MA and to have a cat's chance in hell of getting funding, I'm probably going to need to get a first.
Definitely not earning potential anyway:rofl:
Passion for it, wanting to help, like caring for people...
Reply 37
Original post by dg2009
In what way is it fact? my parents are still together, my grandparents never split (ok that was a different time), I know plenty that are still together, plenty of people stay together though loads do get divorced but not everyone.

Cicerao - you say boyfriend then mention husband?

Come on, really?
Reply 38
- A New Way of Life
- Passion for the subject
- Self improvement
- 3/4 years to waste during the shit economic/job climate

^ In no order.

I don't care about triple figure salaries after graduating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending