The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I just got my first ever job interview!! With Sainsbury's! :woo: Whoopee! I'm rather happy :biggrin:. Though it was meant to the last week, but got cancelled because of the snow. But never mind as I have it again this Friday. Fingers crossed :grin:

sbuys was my first job =) have fun!
Original post by kirsty142

On a not so pleasant note, my uncle died suddenly at the weekend and I've just been told the funeral's next Wednesday in Chester (5 hr train journey from here) and I'm supposed to be working, what are Sainsbury's like when it comes to asking for time off for things like this? And do I go to HR to sort it out?

Someone on my shift needed a day off to go to a funeral and it was a bit hellish trying to get it off by the sounds of it, and he didn't get paid. But our store are arses. Like fxx said you're fully entitled to tell them to shove it =)
I really want (and need) to keep my job after christmas (I'm xmas temp) but really worried I won't get offered it :frown: anyone got any tips on how to make you seem like a good candidate to keep on?
I already do lots of overtime and stick to the time limits of the online shopping.
Original post by stargirl92
I really want (and need) to keep my job after christmas (I'm xmas temp) but really worried I won't get offered it :frown: anyone got any tips on how to make you seem like a good candidate to keep on?
I already do lots of overtime and stick to the time limits of the online shopping.

All I can suggest is try your best =) You can't give more than your best, and hopefully they'll offer you a permanent job.
Just curious about how good were your stores at the 12-week probation thing...

I've been there about 7 weeks now and am yet to have my 4-week review. Does the probation period end at 12 weeks regardless of whether you have had these reviews or not, or does it carry on until they've completed the three reviews?

I'm feeling a bit down about work to be honest. Already. I feel invisible most of the time, despite trying my best. Eg, being told that my manager thought I wasn't there working [and thus having my wages docked] when I was actually working harder than many of the others [the store wasn't yet open, so a quite a lot of the staff 'hid' in the staff area for - literally - three/four hours of their shift!]. I still haven't got any uniform, despite asking a few times since the induction, and so forth. Plus, I often have to beg for my breaks - whilst the people around me are taken off the till for breaks, they seem intent to ignore me. I've worked 6 hours without a break these last few weeks and even then I only got my break because I insisted... :frown:

It is all a bit of a mess. It makes you see the place in a new light when you work there I suppose...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by FXX
Tell your manager. They won't give you any grief, and if they do, you're fully entitled to tell them to kindly **** off and mind their own business.

Original post by inksplodge
Someone on my shift needed a day off to go to a funeral and it was a bit hellish trying to get it off by the sounds of it, and he didn't get paid. But our store are arses. Like fxx said you're fully entitled to tell them to shove it =)

Thanks for the replies, I'm trying to get Wednesday covered and have Thurday off, otherwise I'm going to have to get a very early train on Thursday morning to be back in time for work. I'm not bothered about being paid, I just want to be able to be there.
Original post by inksplodge
sbuys was my first job =) have fun!

(edited 13 years ago)
end change tonight -_- gaah
Original post by stargirl92

Sorry to break it to you, but no matter how good of an employee you are it won't give you a greater chance of being kept on after christmas and be given a permanent contract. Well this goes for our store atleast.

Last year, Sainsbury's was my first ever job and I was also a christmas temp. Worked there from Oct - Jan, gone through 4 observations and I was always told I was excellent, always getting green and done the correct things. I was told did I want to be kept on during the feedback experience thing about a week before my contract was going to end, and I was given the letter saying I was let go. However, everyone got this and I was told it is completely dependant on the amout of sales they receive after christmas - as they normally drop considerably. It's understandable, that they simply can't be overstaffed when it isn't required. But you're store might be different lol
Original post by affinity89

I've been there about 7 weeks now and am yet to have my 4-week review. Does the probation period end at 12 weeks regardless of whether you have had these reviews or not, or does it carry on until they've completed the three reviews?

I'm feeling a bit down about work to be honest. Already. I feel invisible most of the time, despite trying my best. Eg, being told that my manager thought I wasn't there working [and thus having my wages docked] when I was actually working harder than many of the others [the store wasn't yet open, so a quite a lot of the staff 'hid' in the staff area for - literally - three/four hours of their shift!]. I still haven't got any uniform, despite asking a few times since the induction, and so forth. Plus, I often have to beg for my breaks - whilst the people around me are taken off the till for breaks, they seem intent to ignore me. I've worked 6 hours without a break these last few weeks and even then I only got my break because I insisted... :frown:

It is all a bit of a mess. It makes you see the place in a new light when you work there I suppose...

sounds ****, leave and come to my store where the people are pro pro :biggrin:
about the probation thing; I've never had a single review or observation or anything like that in the 2 and a half years I've worked there lol
Reply 7071
Original post by affinity89

1. Don't worry about the reviews, you're supposed to have one every 6 months, but I've only had 1 in years. Which is a sign of poor management. It's not your problem, and reviews don't really mean anything anyway.

2. Regarding the docked pay, I would seriously take this up with HR and file a dispute. If you work the hours, you get paid those hours, don't let your manager bully you.

3. Make sure you take your entitled breaks. If they do not allow you to take your breaks they are in breach of contract. Put your foot down!

All in all, it sounds like bad management. It's the same in my store.
i've had three reviews since i started over a year ago.. one after 4 weeks, one at end of probation, and then one when i finished my foundation training
Hey guys, i started my job at sainsbury's yesterday and some bitch has already reported me for HAVING to wait so the person i was serving could get their wii games from the back and so i could scan them in so she could pay. That has nothing to do with what i'm about to ask.

My question: What is it with till supervisors and overtime? I work at a rather big and busy store (which apparently takes the 2nd highest profit out of all the sainsburys :wink: ), and i went to them to ask a question and ended up with 32 hours overtime down. They made it sound like it was compulsory, and i'm a christmas temp! surely not? She was so damn insistent she wouldn't let me go till i had some down. I said yes just so i could go in the end. And i never asked the question.

Anywho, hope y'all have a good xmas.
Original post by wickerman24
Hey guys, i started my job at sainsbury's yesterday and some bitch has already reported me for HAVING to wait so the person i was serving could get their wii games from the back and so i could scan them in so she could pay. That has nothing to do with what i'm about to ask.

My question: What is it with till supervisors and overtime? I work at a rather big and busy store (which apparently takes the 2nd highest profit out of all the sainsburys :wink: ), and i went to them to ask a question and ended up with 32 hours overtime down. They made it sound like it was compulsory, and i'm a christmas temp! surely not? She was so damn insistent she wouldn't let me go till i had some down. I said yes just so i could go in the end. And i never asked the question.

Anywho, hope y'all have a good xmas.

They do seem quite pushy with overtime. I ended up with an extra 25 hours in just 9 days a few weeks ago because they woman kept adding more and more. You just have to be firm. The last couple of times they've asked, I said a flat 'no'. It isn't compulsory. Stand your ground. :smile:

Had another fun time today! When I finished at 2pm, I went to see the supervisor about my wages. Long story short - I filled in query form from HR; they told me to give to manager; been in twice since and manager hasn't. In the end, the supervisor told me to give it straight to HR and that they would talk to my manager about it. Anyway, as I went to leave, she called me back and told me to go on self-scan, as I was the only member of staff in who knows how. When I politely said my shift had finished 5 minutes earlier, she swore! Not at me, more at the lack of planning I think, but I was still taken aback... :/

I like most of the customers and the work is easy enough. I just wish the conditions could be a bit better. And that I could actually be given my uniform. Otherwise, I really don't think I'll be hanging around into the new year...
I had my 4 week review yesterday (been there 6 weeks) was very pleased cos I got green :biggrin: And was told that I may be offered a permanent job after our store expands in February :biggrin:
Reply 7076
ahhhh my hands hurt from the cold weather, i'm getting cuts on every finger and they split and get bigger when i'm working. what's worse is needing to wash my hands, it's painful.:frown: think i'm gonna cry.
at least i can rest them for a day hopefully they heal.
I am allowed to book off holidays that aren't full weeks, right, even though it advises to? I have two days left over with my hours given for holidays and I want to use them.
Reply 7078
Does anyone know the cut off date for this months next pay day? i think pay day is the 31st if im not wrong.

Also is it compulsary to work xmas eve?
Reply 7079
Original post by rko
Does anyone know the cut off date for this months next pay day? i think pay day is the 31st if im not wrong.

Also is it compulsary to work xmas eve?

Cut off day is Christmas Day.

If you're contracted to work Fridays and you haven't taken it as holiday then you need to work it, yes.

Latest