The Student Room Group

The big wikileaks thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I could see how you could justify some of the leaks he and his site have published.

However, the latest, that list of sites crucial to US national security, that is just plain dumb.
Reply 381
Original post by Earl Nuce
You deserved the neg.
I'd love to see how you react to being set up. 'Oh I guess I deserve this.'

How do you know he didn't do it? I don't understand why everyone thinks he is innocent, maybe he did rape someone, lets wait and see.
Reply 382
Original post by Earl Nuce
You deserved the neg.
I'd love to see how you react to being set up. 'Oh I guess I deserve this.'

What evidence is there that he has been set up?
Sure it's a bit dubious all these warrants being suddenly released for his arrest on supposed rape charges, but the main reason he is wanted is because of these leaks.

If said leaks lead to deaths of government or millitary personell or even civilians, it's Mr Assange that will have the blood on his hands, so it's really his responsibility.
Reply 383
Original post by MoanyLisa
No problem.

1.58pm: Assange is due to appear in court in the next few minutes, according to a tweet from Channel 4 News.

Returned the favour.
Like I said, if the leaks of classified information causes death or other issues the blood is on his hands. He should answer for it.

There is a line where the right of the public to know stops and classified starts. This should be maintained for many reasons.
Crossing it and making public this information is wrong.
Reply 384
Some spokesperson for Wikileaks said despite Julian Assange being arrested and probably confined for a long time, Wikileaks will operate as per and still release files
Reply 385
Original post by MoanyLisa
The law (quite rightly) doesn't work that way.
He has been charged with things completely unrelated to Wikileaks - It would be wrong to introduce anything else into the matter.
That would not be a fair trial, by the standard of any decent democratic law system. And I am dubious of anyone who supports such idiocy. (Such as yourself)

And in the same way that there is no evidence to say that he has been set up. There is no evidence to indicate that he has caused the death of anybody or that he has blood on his hands.

The law doesn't work that way because there hasn't even been a case like this on this scale. Therefore it makes sense that the law adapts to these new sort of crimes.

True there is no evidence to say his actions have caused a death directly, however it is very risky releasing documents like this, and they could eventually cause deaths or other serious security issues.
I think it's right that the authorities talk to him.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,733153,00.html

Interesting. Never knew the US was so chummy with Iraq while it was killing its own civilians. Especially interesting for the liberal interventionists.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Le_Bow

Original post by Le_Bow
The law doesn't work that way because there hasn't even been a case like this on this scale. Therefore it makes sense that the law adapts to these new sort of crimes.

True there is no evidence to say his actions have caused a death directly, however it is very risky releasing documents like this, and they could eventually cause deaths or other serious security issues.
I think it's right that the authorities talk to him.

I believe that the atrocities that have been uncovered should be punished before we think about the whistleblower.
Original post by Seanisonfire
I believe that the atrocities that have been uncovered should be punished before we think about the whistleblower.

Exactly. Don't shoot the messenger.
The only thing I think is a bit reckless is releasing the list of locations that the US Government considers 'vital to national security'. But then again, if Al Qaeda and other terrorist organisations were as organised as various governments say they are, then terrorists would have already identified these locations.
The helicopter attack video is absoulutely disgusting. How could they misinterpret a camera for an AK47? They obviously did it for the the kick. And the way they were laughing about killing over a dozen (innocent) people was disgraceful.

And that soldier who spoke up about the real way the US army works, and the reality of the two children who were fatally wounded, and the rest of the innocent men who were killed. I think its fair to say that he was one in a million.

I'm glad wikileaks released this, as it really does give an insight into the reality of the situation, and it just reinforces my hatred for american soldiers. Maybe there is the possibility that there are terrorists in Iraq, but shooting every person on the streets is sickening.
I've been following wikileaks for a good long while now, and what strikes me is how the Swedish court dropped the case previously as there was no substantial evidence Assange had done anything wrong. Now all of a sudden, oh so coincidentally they have issued an interpol red alert over the issue.

They definitely have been pressured by the US
Original post by BackDoorEntry
I've been following wikileaks for a good long while now, and what strikes me is how the Swedish court dropped the case previously as there was no substantial evidence Assange had done anything wrong. Now all of a sudden, oh so coincidentally they have issued an interpol red alert over the issue.

They definitely have been pressured by the US

Yeah I thought they had dropped the charges as well. Now all of a sudden they want him back? Can someone explain this to me?
Reply 393
Original post by G8D
Charles Arthur, the Guardian's technology editor, points out that while MasterCard and Visa have cut WikiLeaks off you can still use those cards to donate to overtly racist organisations such as the Knights Party, which is supported by the Ku Klux Klan.

The Ku Klux Klan website directs users to a site called Christian Concepts. It takes Visa and MasterCard donations for users willing to state that they are "white and not of racially mixed descent. I am not married to a non-white. I do not date non-whites nor do I have non-white dependents. I believe in the ideals of western Christian civilisation and profess my belief in Jesus Christ as the son of God."

He makes a fair point.

Yeah just read this too. It's ridiculous.
I am disgusted by today's events.

It wasn't 1984, it's 2010.
Reply 395
They can assassinate him. But Wikileaks would always go on.
Reply 396
I think now, they can legitimately operate as an anonymous organization. Many would previously be sceptical of an anonymous organization releasing leaks. But after the way the world has hounded and treated wikileaks, cutting off it's funding, getting Assange arrested, It could easily become anonymous and operate as per normal.
Reply 397
Original post by G8D
He has teams across the globe to continue releasing the leaks.
Plus the site is now mirrored on like 1000 different sites.

Wikileaks is going nowhere :smile:

What does that mean? Is there a directory for something like this?
I hate who the media portray some sort of image of criminality with wikileaks and often associate it with terrorism. In fact some University lecturers are condemning the site.
Reply 399
Original post by G8D
He has teams across the globe to continue releasing the leaks.
Plus the site is now mirrored on like 1000 different sites.

Wikileaks is going nowhere :smile:

Yeah, plus the insurance file. I still can't believe all this mayhem has arisen over only 1,000 of the 250,000 docs, it's brilliant. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending