The Student Room Group

Which language should I study???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by deej3005
OP, what are your reasons for wanting to learn a language in the first place? It all depends on that.

If you want to learn languages for business, then Spanish is the most widely spoken, if you're looking for an easy language then again Spanish is the easiest, but what are your motives for learning in the first place?

I love learning languages and I want to do MFL at higher education :smile: I definitely want to do French and I need something ot supplement it. I love German but I don't really like the country itself that much and I don't want to lose my grasp of the language by dropping it. I probably won't do Spanish as iit's quiet similar to French and I want to demonstrate my range but I was told I ought to because of the whole South America thing. And I just love the idea of being able to tell people I can speak Russian :biggrin: I also love Russia in history, with the tsar and that but I've never been there or to Spain.
Whenever I see these threads I always feel like giving a whimsical answer but then I see the OP has presented us with a list. :s-smilie:

I like the grammar of Russian, go with that. Plus it has awesome swearing potential.
Reply 22
Definitely spanish, it sounds too sexy!
Reply 23
Original post by joanna-eve
And I just love the idea of being able to tell people I can speak Russian :biggrin:

Why does it mean so much for you?
Unless you are prepared to work very hard at Russian I suggest you take German as you already have a base in it. Don't do what I did and think that because you understand the cases in German that the Russian cases won't be too dissimilar. I studied German at Adv. Higher level and then thought I could pick up Russian at uni (yes I know I am talking about a different academic level to OP) but starting from scratch is HARD!
Although as a student studying A Level Spanish I would recommend it, I would say study Russian. It's such an awesome language. I'd love to speak more than 'Hello. I love you. Where bed?'
Reply 26
Original post by Paul PTS
Why does it mean so much for you?

Because it sounds so prestigious, it's like studying physics or some other such subject for very smart people! Plus Russia is HUGE and a lot of the ex-USSR colonies will still speak it.

Original post by LeeLee---x
Unless you are prepared to work very hard at Russian I suggest you take German as you already have a base in it. Don't do what I did and think that because you understand the cases in German that the Russian cases won't be too dissimilar. I studied German at Adv. Higher level and then thought I could pick up Russian at uni (yes I know I am talking about a different academic level to OP) but starting from scratch is HARD!

I taught myself the cases of German in year seven and the rest of my class, who are all doing higher tier, still don't get it. I understand that Russian will be hard but I'm more than willing to put the effort in. I also know a bit of Latin and Russian can't be worse than all those declensions, moods and conjugations!

Original post by The Lyceum
Whenever I see these threads I always feel like giving a whimsical answer but then I see the OP has presented us with a list. :s-smilie:

What did you have in mind, I always need new hobbies :biggrin:
Because it sounds so prestigious, it's like studying physics or some other such subject for very smart people! Plus Russia is HUGE and a lot of the ex-USSR colonies will still speak it.

I taught myself the cases of German in year seven and the rest of my class, who are all doing higher tier, still don't get it. I understand that Russian will be hard but I'm more than willing to put the effort in. I also know a bit of Latin and Russian can't be worse than all those declensions, moods and conjugations!

What did you have in mind, I always need new hobbies :biggrin:

No idea, perhaps an interesting dead language like Akkadian? Failing that something like Japanese.
Reply 28
No idea, perhaps an interesting dead language like Akkadian? Failing that something like Japanese.

Japanese is available at my college, but I didn't want to do it because it's only an asset language course and the teacher is a nutcase! I'd love to do something random like Serbian or Finnish though!
Japanese is available at my college, but I didn't want to do it because it's only an asset language course and the teacher is a nutcase! I'd love to do something random like Serbian or Finnish though!

Finnish has a very interesting structure plus you can read the Moomins and the Kaleva in the original, ha.

For languages similar to Russian, you could also look at Polish and, to some extent, Lithuanian. A cursory glances makes them seem interesting at least.

Mental teachers are sometimes a great learning prop, god knows years from now my little Latin/Anc Greek class will probably be saying the same about me. :s-smilie:

OO Mongolian. :colondollar:
Reply 30
Icelandic.
Reply 31
Finnish has a very interesting structure plus you can read the Moomins and the Kaleva in the original, ha.

For languages similar to Russian, you could also look at Polish and, to some extent, Lithuanian. A cursory glances makes them seem interesting at least.

Mental teachers are sometimes a great learning prop, god knows years from now my little Latin/Anc Greek class will probably be saying the same about me. :s-smilie:

OO Mongolian. :colondollar:

You teach Latin and Ancient Greek? That is so cool! I wish that was offered where I'm going! Might have a little look at Polish, get to know the new neighbours! Lithuanian not so much although I suppose then the EU might want me :colone: Mongolian would also be pretty cool, mongols are nomads aren't they? I can totally see me living on the plains in a ger :biggrin:
Reply 32
I love learning languages and I want to do MFL at higher education :smile: I definitely want to do French and I need something ot supplement it. I love German but I don't really like the country itself that much and I don't want to lose my grasp of the language by dropping it. I probably won't do Spanish as iit's quiet similar to French and I want to demonstrate my range but I was told I ought to because of the whole South America thing. And I just love the idea of being able to tell people I can speak Russian :biggrin: I also love Russia in history, with the tsar and that but I've never been there or to Spain.

Kl, nice to find somebody who is as passionate about languages as I am (see my About Me and you'll understand), based on what you said I think I would go for Russian because if you have a real passion for languages you shouldn't have too much trouble dedicating yourself to learning the grammar even though it's quite difficult, plus it's definitely the most 'out there' and interesting of the 3, and you like Russian culture.

Also, Russian might well be manageable if you're doing French alongside, because French isn't normally too challenging.
Reply 33
Original post by deej3005
Kl, nice to find somebody who is as passionate about languages as I am (see my About Me and you'll understand), based on what you said I think I would go for Russian because if you have a real passion for languages you shouldn't have too much trouble dedicating yourself to learning the grammar even though it's quite difficult, plus it's definitely the most 'out there' and interesting of the 3, and you like Russian culture.

Also, Russian might well be manageable if you're doing French alongside, because French isn't normally too challenging.

Glad someone else feels the same way! Checked out your profile as instructed and whoa!!! I wish I could be like that!!
I think what I might do is take Russian AS in my second year as a compromise so I can do a bit of both! :yep: Thoughts, anyone?
Reply 34

I think what I might do is take Russian AS in my second year as a compromise so I can do a bit of both! :yep: Thoughts, anyone?

I think in Russian, so you can't understand all my thoughts yet. :biggrin:
I would do either Russian or German because Spanish is so common. Russian is difficult only because it has a different alphabet but it would definitely stand out. German is fun and the grammar side isn't that bad. Also German is known as the 'business' language especially in the UN.

I did French and German and they're different enough that you don't get confused between the two whereas French and Spanish together can be quite confusing.
Reply 36
Russian!!!!

I plan on taking evening classes in it next year :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 37
I think in Russian, so you can't understand all my thoughts yet. :biggrin:

:awesome: Haha well maybe someday! I dream in French sometimes and when that happens I usually have no idea what everyone is talking about, even though it's my dream. Bizarre much :yep:
Were you brought up Russian then, or is it a skill you've acquired?
Reply 38

Were you brought up Russian then, or is it a skill you've acquired?

I live on the road from Moscow to Yaroslavl.
Reply 39
I live on the road from Moscow to Yaroslavl.

Oh cool! Did/do you go to uni in the UK or there? Do you speak any other languages? Is it really cold there all the time? 'Scuse my nosiness :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending