The Student Room Group

Rejection from Cambridge for 2011

Spotted there was an Oxford one but no Cambridge one so voila.

When: November 27th
How: Opened letter in front of best friend, parents and sister
What for: veterinary medicine
College: Girton
Emotions: A little disappointed but relied didn't have to face an interview and then be rejected.
Why: I am assuming low AS modules and only on borderline for GCSEs feedback just said high level of other applicants with ASs in high 90%s but apparently my GCSEs results were impressive :eek:
Reapply?: Not for this degree maybe for intercation or try later for phD or research maybe
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When: 26th of November ( actually they send it on 10th of November...)
How: letter
What for: law
College: allocated to Selwyn
Emotions: I dont know why they didnt invite me, but I am getting over it.
Reapply: nope, waste of time.
I was going to start this thread! :smile: But thought it'd be too depressing, so I didn't.

When: November 22
How: Received an email after my Mount Holyoke interview, then a paper letter, then a UCAS notice
What for: History
College: Newnham
Emotions: Numb and depressed, then angry and sad, then moody and reckless and very mean to everyone around me, now still hurt but less so every day
Why: BBB equivalent means an automatic rejection
Reapply?: Maybe... And definitely for grad school no matter what.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Argh, I remember getting my rejection. I got a really thin letter, so it was bad from the outset...
Original post by Don John
Argh, I remember getting my rejection. I got a really thin letter, so it was bad from the outset...

Ugh, the dreaded thin letter. It especially sucked because it was my first uni decision ever, so it was a confidence killer on top of everything else. Now every time uni mail arrives in the mailbox my mother asks me if it's a rejection. :closedeyes:
Reply 5
Original post by Athena Gray
Ugh, the dreaded thin letter. It especially sucked because it was my first uni decision ever, so it was a confidence killer on top of everything else. Now every time uni mail arrives in the mailbox my mother asks me if it's a rejection. :closedeyes:

Aw, man that sucks. With me, I applied some time in October, and then got an acceptance for Edinburgh two weeks later! Then got a rejection from Bristol for not replying to a interview letter, fail.
Reply 6
Original post by Toni42
Spotted there was an Oxford one but no Cambridge one so voila.

When: November 27th
How: Opened letter in front of best friend, parents and sister
What for: veterinary medicine
College: Girton
Emotions: A little disappointed but relied didn't have to face an interview and then be rejected.
Why: I am assuming low AS modules and only on borderline for GCSEs
Reapply?: Not for this degree maybe for intercation or try later for phD or research maybe

Girton sucks anyway. Count yourself lucky.
Reply 7
I have to say, as a student at Cambridge, I'm surprised to hear of people getting rejected from places like Girton and Newnham. These are where most of the pooled and open applications go, so you'd think they wouldn't be rejecting people outright.

In fact, everyone I know who is at Newnham and Girton was either pooled or made an open application.
Reply 8
Original post by dd4483
I have to say, as a student at Cambridge, I'm surprised to hear of people getting rejected from places like Girton and Newnham. These are where most of the pooled and open applications go, so you'd think they wouldn't be rejecting people outright.

In fact, everyone I know who is at Newnham and Girton was either pooled or made an open application.

I don't see any inconsistency. Is there a reason to think that open applicants are any weaker than applicants who designate colleges? If not, then the fact that open applicants end up there only speaks to the colleges being undersubscribed, not to the strength of those applicants. As for the pooled applicants who get in, they've still been screened and usually ranked highly by the interviewing college that declined to make them an offer. It seems entirely reasonable that undersubscribed colleges would choose to reject-without-interview direct applicants that they've decided do not objectively meet their standards, while reserving those spots for indirect (pooled/open) applicants who do meet their standards. This is particularly true because they get to save the resources that would be associated with interviews that they've decided would not be fruitful.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by dd4483
Girton sucks anyway. Count yourself lucky.

Thanks for that but it doesn't, none of the colleges do, only the application process and a few of the students. I realise as a Cambridge student you may feel all knowing and better than the rest of us, but your other comment was actually rather hurtful so would prefer it if you returned to your studies rather than illustrate your limited emotional intelligence. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Toni42
Thanks for that but it doesn't, none of the colleges do, only the application process and a few of the students. I realise as a Cambridge student you may feel all knowing and better than the rest of us, but your other comment was actually rather hurtful so would prefer it if you returned to your studies rather than illustrate your limited emotional intelligence. :smile:

With all due respect, since I am actually at Cambridge, it is somewhat fair to say I do know a bit more that someone outside of Cambridge. I don't mean that in a big-headed way, it's just logical, as with any student at Cambridge.

You can always reapply. I know plenty of people who did, and got in.
Reply 11
Original post by dd4483
With all due respect, since I am actually at Cambridge, it is somewhat fair to say I do know a bit more that someone outside of Cambridge. I don't mean that in a big-headed way, it's just logical, as with any student at Cambridge.

which college are you at btw?
Reply 12
Original post by dd4483

I perhaps know a little more than most outsiders, as both my parents and granparents went to cambridge and so does my cousin currently. My mother also use to be Girton's admission's tutor. And its just a uni no point in reapplying. Sorry if I came off as defensive before obviously for anyone a rejection is a little sore.
Reply 13
I may as well say it now:

When: December 07
How: Went for an interview. First interview was great, test was excellent but my second interview was so bad that half way through one admissions tutor decided to walk out. I made said silly stuff in the interview (won't disclose content) which I then figured out the answer to on the way back home on the train.
What for: Engineering
College: Downing
Emotions: Disappointed in myself. If I knew it was going to be like this I wouldn't have even gone to the interview
Why: Messed up my second interview
Reapply?: No. Never.
Reply 14
Original post by chaz1992
I may as well say it now:

When: December 07
How: Went for an interview. First interview was great, test was excellent but my second interview was so bad that half way through one admissions tutor decided to walk out. I made said silly stuff in the interview (won't disclose content) which I then figured out the answer to on the way back home on the train.
What for: Engineering
College: Downing
Emotions: Disappointed in myself. If I knew it was going to be like this I wouldn't have even gone to the interview
Why: Messed up my second interview
Reapply?: No. Never.

He really did walk out? That's sick. It's so inappropriate, no matter what you said.
Reply 15
Original post by ulle
He really did walk out? That's sick. It's so inappropriate, no matter what you said.

He came back in 2 minutes late though. He finished his half of the interview, handed it over to his colleague and just left before coming back in sitting down for 5 minutes and then announcing that that was the end of the interview :mad: .

The first interview went really well though and so did the test but what good is that when I get all the physics questions wrong.

Oh well, looks like I need to work hard for Imperial.
Reply 16
He came back in 2 minutes late though. He finished his half of the interview, handed it over to his colleague and just left before coming back in sitting down for 5 minutes and then announcing that that was the end of the interview :mad: .

The first interview went really well though and so did the test but what good is that when I get all the physics questions wrong.

Oh well, looks like I need to work hard for Imperial.

DOn't worry!!If your test was excellent,then you will be fine.
Are you interviewed by chinese professors?
was the test hard???
Reply 17
Original post by fanfan
DOn't worry!!If your test was excellent,then you will be fine.
Are you interviewed by chinese professors?
was the test hard???

I have to say around 90% of engineers there were Chinese.

I had an interview with Dr Guy Williams and Dr Liping Xu first. Both really nice people to talk to, I felt confident, comfortable and happy during that interview.

I then had the interview I messed up on with Dr Bill O'Neill and Dr Jie Li. Dr Bill O'Neill did the physics questions before walking out and coming back in and Dr Jie Li did the maths questions. I worked out the answer to the questions on the train ride home. When the day was over I left Downing and say Dr Jie Li having a cigarette in the corner of the entrace to Downing College :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
I have to say around 90% of engineers there were Chinese.

I had an interview with Dr Guy Williams and Dr Liping Xu first. Both really nice people to talk to, I felt confident, comfortable and happy during that interview.

I then had the interview I messed up on with Dr Bill O'Neill and Dr Jie Li. Dr Bill O'Neill did the physics questions before walking out and coming back in and Dr Jie Li did the maths questions. I worked out the answer to the questions on the train ride home. When the day was over I left Downing and say Dr Jie Li having a cigarette in the corner of the entrace to Downing College :biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin:
the same professors as mine....
Is the test difficult???
Reply 19
Original post by fanfan
:biggrin::biggrin:
the same professors as mine....
Is the test difficult???

Make sure you know your C3/C4/FP1 and you should be fine.

I answered 10/12 questions. Didn't have time for the other 2. Not really allowed to say anymore as we're not allowed to.

Quick Reply

Latest