The Student Room Group

Twenty-one Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year

Scroll to see replies

Would you prefer that they gave students a place just because of their skin colour?

Those colleges get SO MANY applications, they will choose the students who impress them the most, whatever race they are.
Maybe it's just a little coincidence? Maybe many black people aren't that interested in applying to Oxbridge, so they go for other unis? I know that I personally probably wouldn't be good enough, but meh.

Original post by SomaliMan
I'm Somali, and you need to stop with this race card, this isn't America where Blacks get everything on a silver plate because they uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuused to be slaves. The truth is that British blacks are wasting their lives because of African American culture (gangs, big booty bitches and chicken).

:rofl: Reminds me of that funny youtube video of those dancing guys :lol:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 122
So ****, they didn't make the cut.

Neither did alot of people.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TheSownRose
It's not Oxford's fault that the black applicants* weren't good enough, was it?

EDIT in response to your added part: They wouldn't have even know he was black before they interviewed him. Seeing as they didn't, they would never had known...

* There - no 'the blacks' anymore.

You have to fill in your ethnicity in your UCAS application.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by King-Panther
You have to fell in your ethnicity in your UCAS application.

To be fair, you don't have to - it is an optional question, or at least was.

And the unis don't get told that part before replying to you.
Original post by Delaney
Ohh please, they're picking the best candidates and it's hardly Oxbridge's fault if none of them are black.

**** off you white supremacist, I was held back in school because of my ethnicity! I was by FAR smarter than the smartest white (pink in reality) guys/girls in my year. By far is an understatement.
Original post by Krebs
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/dec/06/oxford-colleges-no-black-students

"The university's admissions data confirms that only one black Briton of Caribbean descent was accepted for undergraduate study at Oxford last year"

Way to single someone out.

"I'm black and applied for Law at Oxford this year. Got 5 As at AS level, near-perfect predictions far beyond what they ask for and pretty nifty GCSE grades too. Didn't even get an interview and everyone thought there was something smelly in the water. They never told me why I wasn't good enough. I would be very worried for the future and direction of our society if this is why."- a comment

Thanks for bringing this up, its an issue that has to be dealt with.
To be fair, you don't have to - it is an optional question, or at least was.

And the unis don't get told that part before replying to you.

Yes they do, who the **** told you that they didn't. The name itself usually indicates your ethnicity anyway. Ethnicity and sex have nothing to do with ones ability to perform at university nor a job! They both should be left out of applications!
Those statistics are false given that the college I go to accepted two students of African Caribbean descent last year.

Following that you must include other students not at the same college - which are many, nothing more than a glance in the lecture hall confirms this.

I expect reliable journalism from the Guardian yet alas it is not to be.
Reply 129
I wonder how many white admissions were made in places like UEL.
The issue is the poor journalism.

Thanks for bringing this up, its an issue that has to be dealt with.

Original post by DeanK22
Those statistics are false given that the college I go to accepted two students of African Caribbean descent last year.

Following that you must include other students not at the same college - which are many, nothing more than a glance in the lecture hall confirms this.

I expect reliable journalism from the Guardian yet alas it is not to be.
Yes they do, who the **** told you that they didn't. The name itself usually indicates your ethnicity anyway. Ethnicity and sex have nothing to do with ones ability to perform at university nor a job! They both should be left out of applications!

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/additionalinformation

"Your national identity reflects how you choose to classify yourself. It's different from ethnicity and nationality and can be based on many things, like culture, language or ancestry/family history. If you prefer not to provide this information, you can select 'I prefer not to say' from the list of options.

Your answer to this question won't affect how your application is considered by universities or colleges as this information isn't given to them until after they've decided whether to offer you a place or not."
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/additionalinformation

"Your national identity reflects how you choose to classify yourself. It's different from ethnicity and nationality and can be based on many things, like culture, language or ancestry/family history. If you prefer not to provide this information, you can select 'I prefer not to say' from the list of options.

Your answer to this question won't affect how your application is considered by universities or colleges as this information isn't given to them until after they've decided whether to offer you a place or not."

One name is often a dead give away and when they appear at an interview, there brown/dark brown face is also a dead give away. How is that going to prevent discrimination then?
One name is often a dead give away and when they appear at an interview, there brown/dark brown face is also a dead give away. How is that going to prevent discrimination then?

But the person complaining they didn't get an interview would have never been seen by them, nor would the uni have known he was black before rejecting him at interview.

Names are not always a 'give away' as to the background of an applicant; for example, have fun guessing I'm of German heritage based on my name alone.
Reply 134
To everyone saying. "yes while black-Caribbean literacy statistics etc are lower what about African descent?"

The article only mentions people of Caribbean decent in the post!
Statistically they perform worse than any other ethnic minority, how can a statistic be racist?
**** off you white supremacist, I was held back in school because of my ethnicity! I was by FAR smarter than the smartest white (pink in reality) guys/girls in my year. By far is an understatement.

No.
No you weren't.
I'm black and ......

if you' think about it, how many black AND even mixed people are there in great britain or wherever the applicants r from, not many. In UK 1.7% is mixed race.... so of course lower black people = less black people accepted... DUHH

Why do people bring race into everything? it's sooo pointless, like x factor, as soon as black contestant gets booted off, omg cherylszzz a racist. Noo bitch she was ****. !
Original post by dnumberwang
No.
No you weren't.

how do you know?
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
I'm black and ......

if you' think about it, how many black AND even mixed people are there in great britain or wherever the applicants r from, not many. In UK 1.7% is mixed race.... so of course lower black people = less black people accepted... DUHH

Why do people bring race into everything? it's sooo pointless, like x factor, as soon as black contestant gets booted off, omg cherylszzz a racist. Noo bitch she was ****. !

man you really need to wake up
Reply 139
In 2009, more than 29,000 white students got three As or better at A-level (excluding general studies) and about 28.4% applied to Oxford; while 452 black students got three As or better, and nearly half applied to Oxford. A spokeswoman for Oxford said: "Black students apply disproportionately for the most oversubscribed subjects, contributing to a lower than average success rate for the group as a whole: 44% of all black applicants apply for Oxford's three most oversubscribed subjects, compared with just 17% of all white applicants. That means nearly half of black applicants are applying for the same three subjects the three toughest subjects to get places in. Those subjects are economics and management, medicine, and maths.with 7% of white applicants. This goes a very long way towards explaining the group's overall lower success rate.

All in all, I don't think Oxbridge is a racist organisation - they have no reason to be; they just take the best people...
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest