The Student Room Group

Does the thought of death scare you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spacepirate-James
Of course.

I'm pretty sure everyone goes through a "fear of death" phase in their lives.

That's true. I've had this phase myself quite a few times. But right now, I'm just feeling indifferent to death. Because, what's the point of being scared of something that is inevitable?
Reply 21
xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by joshuroar
True in some respects, if you believe in no afterlife then you would think nothing happens, you lose all sense of existence. But he could have meant leaving behind a legacy, for example children or an influence on society/the world, and even though you would not see it; there could be people knowing you after your dead in a way.

Yeah i agree. Im sure we all(to a degree) hope that we are remembered for something. Then again we wouldn't have any awareness or means of acknowledging such a thing, seeing as we'd cease to exist
Live fast, die young!!!!!!
Reply 24
Original post by Something_Ironic
Yeah i agree. Im sure we all(to a degree) hope that we are remembered for something. Then again we wouldn't have any awareness or means of acknowledging such a thing, seeing as we'd cease to exist

Yes, it's frustrates me that people that have now had such a profound influence are - probably - completely unaware. It's said a true genius is never understoood by his/her generation; but knowing I have made a difference is sometimes important to me and other times I don't care so much.
erm, yeah! I don't want to die! well, not yet anyway - there are so many things that I want to do in my life and the thought of not getting the chance to live life, beyond going to school for 13 years, is frightening.
Reply 26
given epistemological limits to human thought making it impossible for me to say conclusively that there is or is not any form of afterlife, i have to assume the pragmatic which is that there is no afterlife and that i have 60-70 years to do what i want to do. does death frighten me? it's going to happen, so no, but i am afraid that it will happen before i can do everything on my imaginary list of things i'd like to do before it happens.
Reply 27
Original post by ~*starlight*conquest*~
I believe that there is nothing after death. You simply cease to exist and your body decomposes and returns to the bottom of the food chain (although very, very slowly...). I'm not scared of dying when I think of it, but if I was terminally ill, or if I was in a situation where death was inevitable or very probable, then yes, I would probably be quite scared. It's in our genes to do everything possible to avoid death, except when protecting others, so you can say it's natural. What would scare me much more is the possibility of life after death, or immortality. That would be horrible.

I couldn't agree with you more. The prospect of existing forever without ever being able to die is more scary to me than the idea that I will one day simply cease to be.

Original post by Something_Ironic
But isn't all death a wasted life?
If you die, you lose everything. Seems like a waste in my opinion.
What do you think?

If you're dead, would you care? I can imagine dying is scary, but I think that being dead is neither scary nor soothing, it's probably nothing.
I am not scared of actually dieng because I am not really scared of pain. I used to be scared of being dead but then I realised that being dead doesn't involve any experiances so you can't bad. Having said that I would still rather anything happen than for me to die so I suppose I must be scared a bit.
Reply 29
I'm not scared of death, I'm scared of my family and friends dying.

If I died, it would be a shame because I would like to experience life for a lot longer. But I'm not scared by the prospect.
Reply 30
I don't like the idea of everything I am or ever was not existing any more, as for being scared of death, no more than you are naturally supposed to want to not die.
Original post by Organ
I'm scared of a young death, a death with a wasted life.

This is the most terrifying thought I can think of. To reach the end of your life and know that you wasted it. That's your lot. Gone.
Reply 32
No. I could end my life now if I wanted... all it takes for me to down a litre of vodka in half an hour, and the fact that I could do that right now if I wanted doesn't scare me. I am scared of anticipation of impending death though - so I'm scared of the possibility of being diagnosed with a terminal illness at some point in my life. Also for this reason, I hope I don't live beyond the age of around 80, at which stage I'd probably be grateful for every day I have.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Dont care about death at all.

Its no biggie.
Original post by joshuroar
Yes, it's frustrates me that people that have now had such a profound influence are - probably - completely unaware. It's said a true genius is never understoood by his/her generation; but knowing I have made a difference is sometimes important to me and other times I don't care so much.

Yeah i totally feell the same. For example, vincent van gogh wasn't recognised at all until long after his death, he has no idea or his influence
I have always thought, if I have to go, I hope it happens really randomly, like the light bulb dying. That way I won't have to face my mortality in the usual way of being diagnosed with a disease and being given a time frame of life.
Also, I believe there is nothing after death, so this way, me dying will not affect me in any way whatsoever, as I won't know about it. I won't be worried about how to end my relationship with people and life in general.

I accept this is incredibly selfish though, and would provide close ones no closure whatsoever which would be bad for them I guess. Also, it implies I have to die young, which I don't want, as there are so many things I wish to do.
Death doesn't really scare me, but the process of dying does.
Original post by Sorenfors
I couldn't agree with you more. The prospect of existing forever without ever being able to die is more scary to me than the idea that I will one day simply cease to be.

If you're dead, would you care? I can imagine dying is scary, but I think that being dead is neither scary nor soothing, it's probably nothing.

What gets me is that knowing you'll die, and as you said, you wouldn't care when you're dead. That makes me think, why should i care about anything at all? when im dead i'll have no awareness of anything, so why care before death?
Reply 38
Nah, I don't want to be here forever. It actually comforts me, knowing I wont be on earth forever. How I die though, that is another story.... wouldn't want to get savagely murdered or anything, I'm certainly scared of that.
Reply 39
I am not so much scared of how I die, although, I hope it's not as graphic as those horror movie franchises, I'm scared of what the answers to those all important questions. These are, what happens after death? What is the meaning of life? Now, I'm a Muslim, but I am not completely certain that I won't just cease to exist. That is what scares me. If it were true, we just have some years to live, and that's it. We die, or 'sleep' forever. I mean what happens when, millions or billions of years into the future, earth becomes uninhabitable, or when the human race becomes extinct, does everything just cease to exist?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending