The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for Archaeology in 2011?

Hey!
I haven't found anything about archaeology, so I just though starting one...

Name all your choices (course and universities) and offers, if you have any.

I applied for Cardiff, Newcastle, Sheffield, Exeter and Abberdeen.
3 offers from the first 3 :biggrin:

anyone for any of these unis?

Scroll to see replies

I do Archaeology at Cardiff already, but I just wanted to come in and give you a *high five*
Hi :smile:

I've applied for Archaeology too, doesn't seem to be many of us around on here at the moment!

I've applied Sheffield, York, Chester, Liverpool and Durham. Had acknowledgeements from all but Sheffield, although i've read that they don't send them anyway. Durham's a real long shot but i had a choice left so thought what the hell. Haven't had any offers or rejections yet, the wait is killing me.

I'm applying as a mature student on an Access course
Reply 3
Original post by portugueseninja
I do Archaeology at Cardiff already, but I just wanted to come in and give you a *high five*

Hi!
How's it going?
What can you tell about the course and the uni? :tongue:
Umm... what would you like to know! I am happy to answer any questions.

It's going well, or at least I think it is... I can tell you for sure how well it's going when I get my essay grades back in a couple of weeks, but overall I'm enjoying it.

As a mature student (I'm only 23 but being out of school for a while has definitely been noticeable for me) it's taken me a while to settle in, but as I'm coming to the end of my first semester I'm feeling positive.

This semester I've had these classes:

- Greek and Roman Archaeology (I didn't like the Greek part much but the Romans are interesting)
- Introduction to Archaeological Skills (I like this class too, it's more sciency and every other week we have a 3 hour practical session that so far has included drawing archaeological sites, plotting graph things, and a computer based one about mapping)
- Ancient Egypt (this was an optional module, you get to choose between this and Human Origins, which I've looked at the course material for and it actually looks really interesting)
- Great Discoveries in Archaeology (basically a history of Archaeology, notable people in the field and what they did for the discipline, it's interesting)

Also in your first year you have to take an additional subject. I picked beginners Italian, which is super intense, I would strongly advise people not to choose a language as their additional subject if they don't have a language background. But it is good though, I'm excited to learn a new language.

I can't think of what else to say, but like I said, if you want to ask any specific questions then go ahead :smile:
I've applied for Archaeology with Anthropology at both Durham and Edinburgh :biggrin:
I have applied for Archaeology at Bristol, Birmingham, Reading and Worcester. My application went off on 25th Nov and i've had acknowledgments but no offers yet. The wait is already killing me :smile:
just had an email from Liverpool saying they are going to make me an offer. My first reply so far and i'm so bloody happy! at least i now know i'll definitely be going to uni next year :smile:
Reply 8
I do archaeology alongside my ancient history course :smile:
I'm applying for Archaeology and Anthropology, so not strictly an archaeologist :P at Bristol and Manchester. Applying for other courses at other unis, which are in my sig :smile: Got an offer from Manchester yesterday :biggrin:
Reply 10
I can't think of what else to say, but like I said, if you want to ask any specific questions then go ahead :smile:

What can you tell about the department? - lectures (or whatever you call them :P), students...
Are you living in a residence? If yes, what can you tell about that?

Also in your first year you have to take an additional subject.

That additional subject can be anything we want? Or does it have restrictions?

A bit out of context - can I ask the "meaning" of your username :P?
Thanks
The department, as far as I can tell, is very good. The lecturers are very knowledgeable and VERY friendly, as a mature student coming back into studying after a few years out since high school, I've had a lot of questions and all the staff have been extremely helpful.

Lectures are mostly held in a big lecture hall, though each module has two (I think) seminars per semester that go over an in depth aspect of something in the module. The seminars have on average 10-15 people in. Each lecture lasts for 50 minutes, except for the fortnightly 3 hour practical class.

There's a big diversity among the students. Some are single honours, some are double honours, some are BA students, some BSc. The first year is common to all archaeology students so it's quite a mixture at the moment. I'll be doing the BSc degree, so my core modules will be more scientific than the BA for my second and third year, but at the moment the BA and BSc students take the same core modules.

I'm living in residences, yes. I'm in Senghennydd Court (affectionately known to some as the 'Sengetto'.) I am generally having a very positive experience. The accommodation is not as spangly and new as other halls, but it's undoubtedly the best location - right near to the city centre, and only a 10 minute walk away from the Humanities building where I have lectures.

The additional subject is for most people worth 40 credits, which you choose from a list of available subjects. You can't just pick anything though, it has to be timetable compatible, and some subjects have pre-requisites. For example, I wanted to do maths, but I didn't have an A Level in maths so I wasn't allowed to do that as my additional subject. I wanted to do music, but it was in the same timetable group as some of the archaeology classes, so I couldn't do that. Etc etc, it depends what's available and what background you have.

As for my username, it's from a song. Sadly, I am not Portuguese. Nor am I a ninja.
I've applied for BA Archaeology at UCL, Durham, Sheffield, Bristol and Nottingham. I've had offers from Sheffield and Nottingham, Acknowledgments from Bristol and Durham, and a questionnaire from UCL (so i've moved forward in their selection process) ^^

Predicted A*AAB, but I reckon I'll get higher than the B, once I retake my biology ISA :wink: I went on two excavations this summer and absolutely loved it, just hope I get more offers! If I get one from UCL i'll be over the moon :smile:
Reply 13
I'm living in residences, yes. I'm in Senghennydd Court (affectionately known to some as the 'Sengetto'.) I am generally having a very positive experience. The accommodation is not as spangly and new as other halls, but it's undoubtedly the best location - right near to the city centre, and only a 10 minute walk away from the Humanities building where I have lectures.

Since you're already at university, which do you think is better, catered or self-catered; ensuite or shared bathroom?
Reply 14
Original post by KatieRhiannon
I've applied for BA Archaeology at UCL, Durham, Sheffield, Bristol and Nottingham. I've had offers from Sheffield and Nottingham, Acknowledgments from Bristol and Durham, and a questionnaire from UCL (so i've moved forward in their selection process) ^^

I've also one offer from Sheffield. What did they ask you?

Original post by KatieRhiannon
Predicted A*AAB, but I reckon I'll get higher than the B, once I retake my biology ISA :wink: I went on two excavations this summer and absolutely loved it, just hope I get more offers! If I get one from UCL i'll be over the moon :smile:

Just for curiosity, where were those excavations you participated in?
Good luck for your UCL application :wink:
Reply 15
I've applied for one archaeology course at Worcester. Its ecology that I'm going in for however Worcester let me do a joint degree in archaeology and ecology. I've had an offer from them of 260 UCAS points. It might be my insurance or my firm, I'm still deciding whether to do a joint or just concentrate on ecology. I really like archaeology as I'm doing an A level in it and find it really interesting. I wish more places did a joint archaeology and ecology degree.
Reply 16
Original post by Pink_butterfly
I have applied for Archaeology at Bristol, Birmingham, Reading and Worcester. My application went off on 25th Nov and i've had acknowledgments but no offers yet. The wait is already killing me :smile:

Which one have you applied for at Worcester? I'd be doing the BA one, Archaeology and Heritage studies as I can do it as a joint degree with Ecology.
I'm applying to do Archaeology and Anthropology at one of my unis (Oxford) Interview on Monday!!! I'm a bit nervous though, because I don't know much about Archaeology (I'm a social anthropologist really, sorry to encroach on your thread:smile:) Is anyone else doing Anth as well as Arch?
Also, has anyone heard of Ethnoarchaeology and could explain it to me?? So many conflicting sources :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by FamousFourTops
I'm applying to do Archaeology and Anthropology at one of my unis (Oxford) Interview on Monday!!! I'm a bit nervous though, because I don't know much about Archaeology (I'm a social anthropologist really, sorry to encroach on your thread:smile:) Is anyone else doing Anth as well as Arch?
Also, has anyone heard of Ethnoarchaeology and could explain it to me?? So many conflicting sources :frown:

From what I can think is that it is looking at humans and seeing how they use objects. I found This which talks about Lewis Binford and what he found. I remember using him as a case study last year.
I've applied for BA at UCL ,Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham and Exeter, got offers from all of them except UCL where I have to wait til monday to get into school and find out if they've emailed me a questionnaire or a rejection :eek3:

Quick Reply

Latest