The Student Room Group

i am confused to take s1 or d1 in a level math edexcel ?

i want an A *
and i finished c1 to c4
so i would take m1 and s1 or d1 ??
i am wondering which is easier to get an A ??
easier to understand ? easier to answer exams pastpapers ?? :smile::confused:
Reply 1
Original post by michaa
i want an A *
and i finished c1 to c4

M5.
Reply 2
what m5 ??
are you kidding ?:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by michaa
i want an A *
and i finished c1 to c4

hmm reall depends on a few things, what have you got in C1 C2 C3 C4? c3/c4 being the most important since 90 avg on them is what enables you to even qualify for an A* :biggrin:

At the moment I do all three of them units you said - M1 S1 D1, I also do AS Physics which makes M1 a walk in the park :smile: , i didn't do gcse statistics so S1 is one of those things that i'm learning from first principles, D1 is relatively easy - you just need to understand and be able to define the words and the rest is drawing graphs and using algorithms :smile:

On a relative scale from easiest to hardest from my experience its M1<D1<S1

From what I have read on the forums here, most people prefer M1 over S1 since they do A lvl physics, however since you have done C1 - C4 youi still need two app units to fill in the gaps - if you do physics then id say do M1 and M2 (M2 is very easy for an A2 unit) if you want to maximise your UMS go for S1 and M1

thats all i have to say, if you have any questions just quote me :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by sohail.s

hmm reall depends on a few things, what have you got in C1 C2 C3 C4? c3/c4 being the most important since 90 avg on them is what enables you to even qualify for an A* :biggrin:

At the moment I do all three of them units you said - M1 S1 D1, I also do AS Physics which makes M1 a walk in the park :smile: , i didn't do gcse statistics so S1 is one of those things that i'm learning from first principles, D1 is relatively easy - you just need to understand and be able to define the words and the rest is drawing graphs and using algorithms :smile:

On a relative scale from easiest to hardest from my experience its M1&lt;D1&lt;S1

From what I have read on the forums here, most people prefer M1 over S1 since they do A lvl physics, however since you have done C1 - C4 youi still need two app units to fill in the gaps - if you do physics then id say do M1 and M2 (M2 is very easy for an A2 unit) if you want to maximise your UMS go for S1 and M1

thats all i have to say, if you have any questions just quote me :wink:

first of all
thanks for your replying i really appreciate it :biggrin:

ok you said that d1 is easier than s1 ?? so why you suggest me to take s1 ??
and i got all over 90's in the 4 C'S SO
another thing please i want to know whats easier to get a good grade d1 or s1 ??
and which of them take time to study ??
thanks a lot
Reply 5
Original post by michaa
first of all
thanks for your replying i really appreciate it :biggrin:

ok you said that d1 is easier than s1 ?? so why you suggest me to take s1 ??
and i got all over 90's in the 4 C'S SO
another thing please i want to know whats easier to get a good grade d1 or s1 ??
and which of them take time to study ??
thanks a lot

hmm, i say S1 is easier since most of it you just need to be able to use a calculator lol, the workload in both of them is pretty much the same tbh, D1 has less chapters but content wise its equal weighting

If you understand D1 after learning it then D1 is better to get a higher UMS mark in
since a lot of candidates dont perform so well in D1 the grade boundaries are lowered a bit so if you do well in it you could secure 100 UMS with a mark as low as 68/75 depending on how the overall candidature does.

Btw nice ums marks :P you say you have 90+ in Core modules, so by assumption the lowest amount of UMS you have atm is 360, for an A* you need 480/600 overall and 90 avg out of C3/C3 , this means you only need 120 UMS from the remaining two units, theoretically you could get 2 C's in these units and still get an A* :P, unis dont really look at unit marks (apart from cambridge)

So in conclusion its really upto you, if you do physics then M1/M2 would be a nice combo, if you dont no big deal, M1 S1 would also go quite well or D1, it depends on how focused you are to learn, i get bored of D1 a lot lol, as long as you stay on top of things then D1 is really easy, just remember all the algorithms lol

Also your teacher will know you better than I do , so have a word with them and see what they'd recommend since techers usually have a good perception.
Hello,
I've applied for Edexcel Maths, Physics and Applied ICT.
I'll be doing Maths and Physics on Jan 2011. The units i'll be taking in Jan are C1, C2, C3, M1, M2
and Physics will be PH01 PH02 and PH04.
I'm planning to sit the 6 units of applied ICT plus PH03,5, and 6 and C4 in June 2011. So far i've been able to cope up with the work. But I do find physics a little tough. Can I, instead of applying for PH03,5 and 6 apply for FP1, 2 and M3?
Reply 7
hmm, i say S1 is easier since most of it you just need to be able to use a calculator lol, the workload in both of them is pretty much the same tbh, D1 has less chapters but content wise its equal weighting

If you understand D1 after learning it then D1 is better to get a higher UMS mark in
since a lot of candidates dont perform so well in D1 the grade boundaries are lowered a bit so if you do well in it you could secure 100 UMS with a mark as low as 68/75 depending on how the overall candidature does.

Btw nice ums marks :P you say you have 90+ in Core modules, so by assumption the lowest amount of UMS you have atm is 360, for an A* you need 480/600 overall and 90 avg out of C3/C3 , this means you only need 120 UMS from the remaining two units, theoretically you could get 2 C's in these units and still get an A* :P, unis dont really look at unit marks (apart from cambridge)

So in conclusion its really upto you, if you do physics then M1/M2 would be a nice combo, if you dont no big deal, M1 S1 would also go quite well or D1, it depends on how focused you are to learn, i get bored of D1 a lot lol, as long as you stay on top of things then D1 is really easy, just remember all the algorithms lol

Also your teacher will know you better than I do , so have a word with them and see what they'd recommend since techers usually have a good perception.

thanks for your reply

now i understand :smile:

i think i would go for s1 :smile:

for you d1 or s1 is easier :colondollar:

anyway thanks a lot
Reply 8
Original post by switchfootfreak
Hello,
I've applied for Edexcel Maths, Physics and Applied ICT.
I'll be doing Maths and Physics on Jan 2011. The units i'll be taking in Jan are C1, C2, C3, M1, M2
and Physics will be PH01 PH02 and PH04.
I'm planning to sit the 6 units of applied ICT plus PH03,5, and 6 and C4 in June 2011. So far i've been able to cope up with the work. But I do find physics a little tough. Can I, instead of applying for PH03,5 and 6 apply for FP1, 2 and M3?

yes
you can
i mean i took physics a level cie much easier than edexcel and got an A
but edexce my friends find it hard for physics

relativley math edexcel is simpler than physics so i suggest go for math because its simpler
and more respectable
if you do physics
you will get headaches and nightmares
:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by michaa
thanks for your reply

now i understand :smile:

i think i would go for s1 :smile:

for you d1 or s1 is easier :colondollar:

anyway thanks a lot

M1 so far isn't too difficult. I was doing past papers and I pinched 11 marks on a friction question in a matter of 2 minutes (it was question 5). That's roughly 1/6 of the paper done. And M1 helps me with physics (more that physics helps me with m1) so it helps you get a good grade in your physics a level which in turn helps you get into a good university (assuming you do physics)

I don't know about s1/d1. But I'm going to do it later on in the year as part of my f.amths AS level

good luck
D1 is easy because you literaly just have to remember the algorithms. S1 you sort of need to understand it a bit, its still quite easy but on ballance d1 is easier.
Reply 11
D1 is annoying it barely qualifies as maths to me. I enjoyed S1.
Reply 12
Original post by Callipygian
D1 is easy because you literaly just have to remember the algorithms. S1 you sort of need to understand it a bit, its still quite easy but on ballance d1 is easier.

thanks a lot

i will go to d1 because i like programming

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending