The Student Room Group

Nursing after first undergraduate degree options?

From the 'research' I've done I know that the nursing diploma courses have moreless stopped.
Does this mean that I'd have to do a second undergraduate degree?
I live in Scotland, but wouldn't mind going further afield! lol

The prospect of doing a second undergraduate degree kinda puts me off though, is there some kind of fast route? I'll be 22 once I've finished my first degree (in politics/history)
Reply 1
Original post by pamelaa
From the 'research' I've done I know that the nursing diploma courses have moreless stopped.
Does this mean that I'd have to do a second undergraduate degree?
I live in Scotland, but wouldn't mind going further afield! lol

The prospect of doing a second undergraduate degree kinda puts me off though, is there some kind of fast route? I'll be 22 once I've finished my first degree (in politics/history)

Not everywhere requires you to do the degree, but it's recommended being that they are phased out.

I'm in the same situation as you and am about to start nursing for a second degree. There are a few accelerated courses for graduates, but to be honest I doubt most of them will accept you with your degree as they want something more related. A couple would take me for the accelerated course but I decided to go with the full three year course as I thought the experience etc would be much more important.
Reply 2
Original post by wordsearch
Not everywhere requires you to do the degree, but it's recommended being that they are phased out.

I'm in the same situation as you and am about to start nursing for a second degree. There are a few accelerated courses for graduates, but to be honest I doubt most of them will accept you with your degree as they want something more related. A couple would take me for the accelerated course but I decided to go with the full three year course as I thought the experience etc would be much more important.

Good point thank you! Do you mind if I ask what your degree was? Do you have an A level in Biology? [I don't! :tongue:]
Reply 3
Original post by pamelaa
Good point thank you! Do you mind if I ask what your degree was? Do you have an A level in Biology? [I don't! :tongue:]

Early Childhood Studies. So half of them considered it was relevent because I'm going for Children's Nursing, half of them didn't, haha. And no, we do not speak of my a levels :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by wordsearch
Early Childhood Studies. So half of them considered it was relevent because I'm going for Children's Nursing, half of them didn't, haha. And no, we do not speak of my a levels :biggrin:

Oooh okay. Thanks for all your help. :smile:
The idea of me moving to England or something and living in halls with a bunch of 18 year olds at the age of 22 would probably make me a bit nervous but I'd have to stay in them I think :p: Ah well suppose I don't know what life will be like then, haha. Good luck with your course!
Reply 5
Original post by pamelaa

Original post by pamelaa
The idea of me moving to England or something and living in halls with a bunch of 18 year olds at the age of 22 would probably make me a bit nervous but I'd have to stay in them I think :p: Ah well suppose I don't know what life will be like then, haha. Good luck with your course!

Depends on the uni... For example, my uni does accommodation which is only for student nurses and midwives. Again age ranging from those who've just left school to mature adults. We all get along fine :smile: I know in other unis you have to go into "uni halls" but it's not the case at all universitys.
Reply 6
Original post by pamelaa

I'm 18 and on a nursing course and a vast majority of the people on my course some are in their 20 30's 40's.SO i wouldn't worry about it, most of us 'youing' ones talk to the older students as if there is no difference in the age gap.Most of us look up to them as they have been careers etc.Supprisingly there aren't that many under 18's on the course to be fair as most have been HSA'S AUXILLARYS and careers prior to the course

Quick Reply

Latest