The Student Room Group

Does the thought of death scare you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I guess I'm a bit scared of the unknown. However, I don't really think about death much at all...I'm more worried about how painful my death will be, rather than the prospect of actually being dead.
I don't understand how people can be scared of the inevitable... it's like being scared of puberty or the possibility of getting wrinkles.
I would say "life goes on", but in this case... :h:
Reply 42
The thought doesn't scare me. I'm actually interested in what happens next (I don't believe in heaven etc), but I am interested in how being in a state of oblivion would work. I'm sure it won't just be blackness, because you need you're brain working to acknowledge the blackness.

I'm not keen on a painful process of dying, or dying early however.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
Oh yeah? why is that? (Here's my guess: you're either very religious and can't wait to go to heaven or where ever - or anti-religion and can't wait to prove them theists wrong)
Reply 44
what's so scary about infinite sleep?

Lol no purely on the basis of the fact that I used to watch the Grim Adventure of Billy & Mandy as a child and that always made me think that that is what death is like, haha.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm scared of how i'm going to die, but i'm not scared of being dead.
Reply 47
You look forward to death so you can donate your body to science?

I have no reason to believe in an 'afterlife' or any of the thousands of religions or gods out there. You guessed wrong. I'm not quite sure how one can prove 'them theists' wrong by dying, since, well you know, you'd be dead. Try again. :rolleyes

Wasn't being serious
Im not afraid just curious. I want to be reincarnated as a Labrador or alsatian and piss were I want, drink out the toilet and growl at children.
I was dead for countless years before I was born and it didn't inconvenience me in the slightest.

Only slightly worrying thing is I pretty much know already how I'm going to die.
Reply 50
Nope, it does not scare me. I've been dead for billions of years before this and that wasnt scary at all.
Reply 51
Original post by jemadore
Well, even if you don't believe that there is life after death, there might be, no one is sure. A lot of people are dying young these days:frown:

Not really, life expectancy in the UK and probably overall in the world is continuing to increase, more people are living longer than say 100, 200, 1000 years ago.
I think death is NOT inevitable, there is a chance that we will reach a stage where science will make us forever young. Scientist are constantly experimenting on rats and other animals trying to extend the life span and it is working...sort of :smile:. Well there is room for improvement, but we should not scrap the idea of getting genetic treatment which would rejuvenate us in the near future.

This might seem that i would be afraid to die, but actually i am quite curious of what happens when you die and ain't afraid of it at all.
Original post by Patrick.Mccullen
I think death is NOT inevitable, there is a chance that we will reach a stage where science will make us forever young. Scientist are constantly experimenting on rats and other animals trying to extend the life span and it is working...sort of :smile:. Well there is room for improvement, but we should not scrap the idea of getting genetic treatment which would rejuvenate us in the near future.

This might seem that i would be afraid to die, but actually i am quite curious of what happens when you die and ain't afraid of it at all.

This. They do say immortality is only 50 years away.
I did not worry about being born so i shall not worry about dying.
Not really. Each time I've decided to kill myself I've chickened out, not from the fear of death but the fear of it going wrong. A lot of things are worse than a quick, painless death.

Seriously. I don't.
I do not fear death, but I fear losing everything. My friends, my family, my conscience. Death will come to us all, it's inevitable and I understand that, but I guess you could say I am fearful, or moreso intrigued, about what happens after. I guess it's like when you are born, but this time you have something to lose, thats what I'm afaid of, that I will not be happy when I die.

Whatever death is I am not ready for it.
I think as you get older you learn to accept that you'll die eventually, its sad but true...

Only one thing creeps me out really. Cloning, imagine they perfected it to the point where there was an exact copy of you, with your current thoughts and feelings and would be the exact same person as you. But say you're dying and your clones not, they get to live and your family would accept that knowing they have the same person still, but you have to die knowing its you in every way but you're the one that doesnt get to live. Clone-you would live on just as you would, but as you died you would have that horrible panic - its not me!

Ugghh, gives me chills. I think about it too much!
No.
I would like to be alive for at least another 50 years, but I am comfortable with the fact that I will die one day.
I don't believe anything happens to my "soul" after death, by the way. I think that the chances of there being an after-life are infinitesimally small. This doesn't bother me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending