The Student Room Group

Who is the most logical and intellectual on TSR???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
guys,, please. so far in this thread there is no right answer. stop believing, that the answers that at the end claim to be right (also easy), are right. if any of the members think they're answer is right, oh please do give me the chance to prove it isnt.

and to give a hint: the first step is to divide the 12 coins into groups of 4 and weight two of these groups. anything else such as divide in 6es, 3s, 2s etc. is not right and cannot possibly be right.
Reply 81
Original post by vahik92
guys,, please. so far in this thread there is no right answer. stop believing, that the answers that at the end claim to be right (also easy), are right. if any of the members think they're answer is right, oh please do give me the chance to prove it isnt.

and to give a hint: the first step is to divide the 12 coins into groups of 4 and weight two of these groups. anything else such as divide in 6es, 3s, 2s etc. is not right and cannot possibly be right.

why don't you read the whole thread before replying?
fat_hampster and myself have posted two seperate (correct) solutions
Reply 82
and btw, im sorry for the statement about intellectual, perhaps i should have not written that because i guess intellectual skills are not neccessarily logical.
Reply 83
Original post by munn
why don't you read the whole thread before replying?
fat_hampster and myself have posted two seperate (correct) solutions

i have read all the thread!!!!! , there 12 coins, i know which one the fake is and whether its heavier or lighter. you have three weighings. so, ask me which coins to weigh, ill tell you the outcome - and you tell me which one the fake is. ok?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by vahik92
i have read all the thread!!!!! and give me a chance to prove they are incorrect,, there 12 coins, i know which one the fake is and whether its heavier or lighter. you have three weighings. so, ask me which coins to weigh, ill tell you the outcome - and you tell me which one the fake is. ok?

{1,2,3,4}{5,6,7,8}

{1,2,5,7}{3,9,10,11}

{3,5,10,12}{2,4,8,9}

Tell me the results of these three and I'll tell you which one is the fake and whether or not it's heavier or lighter that the rest

I'm going to watch some CL football so i'll either reply at halftime (2030-2045) or after the game (2135 or so)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by munn
{1,2,3,4}{5,6,7,8}

{1,2,5,7}{3,9,10,11}

{3,5,10,12}{2,4,8,9}

Tell me the results of these three and I'll tell you which one is the fake and whether or not it's heavier or lighter that the rest

wow,, im sorry my mistake, i did not see this thread and i missed a whole page!!! sorryyyy.. even though my way of solving this is not similar to this, this solution seems to be correct as well.

did you solve this or did you copy it from the website quoted earlier?
Reply 86
Original post by vahik92
wow,, im sorry my mistake, i did not see this thread and i missed a whole page!!! sorryyyy.. even though my way of solving this is not similar to this, this solution seems to be correct as well.

did you solve this or did you copy it from the website quoted earlier?

well my method is there, it's not particularly complicated as long as you have the initial idea
Reply 87
Original post by munn
well my method is there, it's not particularly complicated as long as you have the initial idea

but you didnt solve this did you?
Reply 88
Original post by vahik92
his answer is wrong

Yeah, I realised that a couple of hours ago. lol
Being really pedantic- if the coin differed in weight enough to visably affect the scales, you would be able to feel it just by holding it in your hands.. so just do that :wink:
Reply 90
Original post by vahik92
but you didnt solve this did you?

Of course I've solved it - I posted my method too, what more do you want?
Reply 91
Original post by Gemma :)!
Being really pedantic- if the coin differed in weight enough to visably affect the scales, you would be able to feel it just by holding it in your hands.. so just do that :wink:

nonsense, good scales can show you differences of fractions of a gram
Original post by munn
Ah yes I understand now, very good solution, works quite well. The OP did ask to determine whether or not it is heavier or lighter however.

Read the OP again, I'm pretty sure there is no mention of finding out the weight, just finding the problematic coin. I'm sure that finding the weight is a common variant though.

Original post by Jacktri
why can't it be the B on the left?

I'm not sure what you're talking about here?
ah the same question put to me at my Gringots interview

"Use the force, young potter" was the answer, I believe
I'd try and bend them, as gold is very soft. Simple.
Reply 95
Original post by danny111
This guy has it.

This is exactly how I did it. :biggrin:
Reply 96
Original post by fat_hampster
Read the OP again, I'm pretty sure there is no mention of finding out the weight, just finding the problematic coin. I'm sure that finding the weight is a common variant though.

You're right, here's what I read and put it all together, i do it quite often

there are 12 coins. 11 of them are golden but 1 of them is fake - they all look the same. the 11 golden coins weigh exactly the same but the fake one has a different weight - either heavier or lighter - you dont know this. how can you know which one of the 12 is the fake, having a two sided scales (the one that doesnt show the weight in number, just weighs two items and tells which one is heavier/lighter) and having only three chances to weight any combination of the coins?

Most (if not every) time I've read it before though it has required you to find the weight, but i think that's because it's impossible to find the fake without finding the weight at the same time
Original post by munn
nonsense, good scales can show you differences of fractions of a gram

Yeah but they're not the ones with numbers on.. just average balancing scales.
Reply 98
Original post by Gemma :)!
Yeah but they're not the ones with numbers on.. just average balancing scales.

That''s what I meant - the best balances are incredibly precise as long as the fulcrum is near enough frictionless
Its nice that I got loads of pos rep for a flawed solution.

Shouldnt have rushed through it I guess.

I'm not sure anyone could comfortably come up with the correct combinations to weigh (in the correct 4vs4 solutions) in a reasonable amount of time during an interview, unless there is some logic to spotting them quickly that I dont see.

Also this test tells you nothing about logic or intelligence generally, and lots about discrete maths ability (/practice... haven't done any serious maths for 6 or so years!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending