The Student Room Group

How do you pronounce IKEA?

Poll

How do you pronounce IKEA?

How do you pronounce this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The second one. It makes sense.
I don't see how or why you would pronounce it t'other way.
Reply 2
Original post by Le_Bow
The second one. It makes sense.
I don't see how or why you would pronounce it t'other way.

Well, the first one is the way they say it in Sweden.
Reply 3
French people pronounce it the first way- I know because we always make fun of a French flatmate because of it.

We've also told him that the word "ballsack" (which he didn't recognise) is actually spelt "balsac" and means "pretty lady", so he's been going around saying it to other female students. Good times.
Reply 4
The sweeds ee-key-ya. We say eye-kee-ya.
Eye-key-ya
Reply 6
The second one: Eye-key-ya
Reply 7
Eye-key-a is correct considering 'I' is pronounced 'eye' in english. If you were italian though then i suppose you'd say eee-key-a because 'I' is pronounced 'eee' in italian.
Reply 8
Original post by llacerta
French people pronounce it the first way- I know because we always make fun of a French flatmate because of it.

We've also told him that the word "ballsack" (which he didn't recognise) is actually spelt "balsac" and means "pretty lady", so he's been going around saying it to other female students. Good times.

That's cruel lol:tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Law123mus
That's cruel lol:tongue:

Haha, we wouldn't do it but it's the fact that his English is generally very, very good- he went to an international school in France and has British parents. So because he speaks so well, it's just incredibly funny when there's the odd word or two that he doesn't recognise. :tongue:
Reply 10
I'm so getting owned in this thread. Can anyone select the first option, so I don't feel like an idiot?
Reply 11
Original post by MJay91
I'm so getting owned in this thread. Can anyone select the first option, so I don't feel like an idiot?

I did, I'm used to saying it like that! But then again I'm not British so maybe I don't count and you're an idiot still ö
Reply 12
Original post by mare?
I did, I'm used to saying it like that! But then again I'm not British so maybe I don't count and you're an idiot still ö

I think I'll make an exception. So, congratulations, you count! :biggrin:
I guess the OP is the one person who says it wrong then?
Reply 14
Original post by MJay91
How do you pronounce this?

I say eye-key-ya but my Romanian roommate says neither of your options - she says i-kay-ya (the first letter rhymes with the I in rip)

Original post by Law123mus
Eye-key-a is correct considering 'I' is pronounced 'eye' in english. If you were italian though then i suppose you'd say eee-key-a because 'I' is pronounced 'eee' in italian.

Rip? Tip? Hit? I isn't always pronounced eye :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by wm123
I guess the OP is the one person who says it wrong then?

Like if it wasn't embarrassing enough. :s-smilie:
Original post by ily_em
I say eye-key-ya but my Romanian roommate says neither of your options - she says i-kay-ya (the first letter rhymes with the I in rip)

Rip? Tip? Hit? I isn't always pronounced eye :P

In this context I is pronouced eye. Try to keep up:tongue:
Original post by MJay91
Like if it wasn't embarrassing enough. :s-smilie:

lol dont worry about it dude :smile:
Reply 18
plus the IKEA advert pronounces it eye-key-ya
The second way. Because I am not Swedish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending