The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To get into the grammar school sixth form I went to you needed six Bs, including at least a B in English, Maths and any subject required for what you wanted to study.
It was hugely oversubscribed; the vast majority of people in year eleven got the grades and wanted to stay on, so we had very very few new additions. They did make the odd exception, such as with this rather annoying, precocious girl who got a C in Maths but As in everything else and wanted to do all essay subjects. Whenever she did anything irritating for the next two years, someone would mumble, "she shouldn't even go here". But that's another story :smile:
Reply 21
A $$$$tars. Nah joke, its dependant on the grammar school
Original post by lcw
Hi, I am currently a student at Ilford County High and joined last year for sixth form as an external. You should aim to achieve A*s in the particular GCSE subjects that you intent to pursue to A level. Once you have submitted your application, you will be invited to a one-to-one interview where you really have to sell yourself. Highlight your own personal skills, extra curricular activities and how you can contribute to life in the sixth form. Hope this helps. :smile:

I went there too! :wink:

Left in 2009 so I've probably never met you, but hey!
:wavey:
Original post by Medicine Man
I can counter your argument with anecdotal examples of people who've been tutored and have got in. I went to a grammar school.

I was not saying that tutoring makes no difference but even with it the less clever will not get it. This therefore shows that grammar schools contain those with higher abilities, regardless of tutoring.
Reply 24
Original post by lilzoldier
Hi, I am currently in year 11 and at the moment I am considering applying into a grammar school called Ilford County Grammar School, but I am confused as to what grades I will actually need to get in order to stand a good chance at getting in there.

Although it states on their website that the minimum Gcse Results that they take are 8 A*-C's I know those grades arent going to guarantee me a place there because it's massively over-subscribes and lots of people with better grades than that would be applying there.

I would like to hear information from people who might have went to a grammar school sixth form, or think that they might know what grades would probably be required to get in there.

i go to a grammar school sixth form, and they will give you a place if you do well at your interview and also your grades should be atleast 5 As, but ill be honest i hate my sixth form, i hate the whole grammar school thing,

still alot of the people at my 6th form enjoy it so it depends on what you yourself think of it:dontknow:, good luck OP
...or the ones who have been tutored all their lives for the 11+ exams. :wink:

or can just pass them without tutoring!
Reply 26
Original post by Jacktri
grammar schools still exist?

yes unfortunately :frown:
Reply 27
My local Grammar school requires straight A's with a few A*'s and B's chucked in for measure although it is the best in the country, so gaining a place at your grammar could be easier or harder I can only make assumptions :smile:
Hi, I am currently in year 11 and at the moment I am considering applying into a grammar school called Ilford County Grammar School, but I am confused as to what grades I will actually need to get in order to stand a good chance at getting in there.

Although it states on their website that the minimum Gcse Results that they take are 8 A*-C's I know those grades arent going to guarantee me a place there because it's massively over-subscribes and lots of people with better grades than that would be applying there.

I would like to hear information from people who might have went to a grammar school sixth form, or think that they might know what grades would probably be required to get in there.

Five A-grade GCSE's, including science, mathematics and English. In addition, you generally need A grades in the subjects you would like to study, e.g. to study history at A-level, you would need an A-grade in history; for mathematics, you would need an A-grade in mathematics.

Note though, that grammar schools are given their name on the basis of teaching Latin or Greek, not necessarily academic excellence.
Original post by dnumberwang
or can just pass them without tutoring!

I concur. It's really something when people have tuition to pass entry examinations with no intent of commitment or even interest in their studies.
Mine required all above C grades in GCSEs, a B in english, maths and science, and a B for any subject you wish to take at A level.

I'd have a look at the admissions policy on the website cause they really can't expect more of you than that, its GCSE for god's sake... I know the general sixth form benchmark is 5 A*-C's but many schools around me locally take less, including my old school on occasion which was an oversubscribed grammar. I would check with the school your applying to whather they give priority to CURRENT year 11 studetns as that's certainly what happened at my old school. If your grades were passable for a current student you would probably still be allowed to say, with some adjusting of subjects (eg. if biology was oversubscribed and you got a D then they would make you take something else). Either way thats what I believe Ilford will do no matter how great your results, but please chekc with the actual sixth form themselves - what open evenings are for!

However don't feel if you don't get in that its the be all end all or that you're poor academically - many sixth forms, even the grammar ones are overrated! I moved to a college instead of staying on and yes, its not as spoonfed for good results but I'm enjoying the freedom so much more than my grammar school VIth counterparts. Again, my college didn't operate a solely grades-based admissions system, it depended on the order, earliest to latest of application.

Sorry for the long post btw, but anyway the gist of it is focus more on your grades for uni and for YOURSELF rather than getting into one particular system as they will use other factors. Hope this helps!
Oh yeahh one other thing. Apart from the whole issue of space, my old grammar school would only let you take 3 AS levels if you got less than 5 A-A*s. That was the benchmark for taking the commonplace 4, though that seemed like a dumb rule to me

Also OP, found this for Ilford county grammar sixth form: (form the prospectus on the website)
Oversubscription Criteria
It should be pointed out that, such is the number of
applications we receive, it is not always possible to invite all
those who meet the minimum entry criteria to the school
to discuss admission. Subjects such as Biology, Chemistry,
Economics, Mathematics and Physics are in great demand,
with an initial application to place ratio of around 5:1.
When this occurs, then our oversubscription criteria are
applied to candidates who have opted for those subjects.
1. Candidates are sifted according to a calculation of their
predicted average points score. In other words, those
with the highest predicted GCSE average point scores
will be invited to visit the school. In 2010 the average
points score was set at 7.1*, but it can sometimes be
higher or lower than this.
2. Anyone who falls below this average, and who wishes
to study oversubscribed subjects, will be eliminated from
consideration at this point. It for this reason that we
suggest you select a reserve subject or subjects so that
we have the maximum flexibility in considering your
application.
3. Following the discussion with a member of the Senior
Leadership Team, places will be offered on the basis of
their suitability for their chosen programme of study.
4. Should two candidates wish to follow identical
oversubscribed courses and offer identical academic
profiles, then a place will be offered to the candidate
who lives closer to the school (in accordance with
London Borough of Redbridge admissions procedures).
Important Predicted Grades
When applying the academic criteria we must act upon the
information we have been given by the student’s current
school at the time of application. Usually this is predicted
grades or mock grades.
*Grade A
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33

Well hello there. I actually go to ICHS been there since Year 7. You don't really need super awesome grades, mostly As and a few A*s should get you in. As for the what i think of the school, be ready to work. I'm used to the work load but lots of the new people are struggling. Most of them got 3A* and above (rest As and Bs) though. Ideally you want all As or there bouts.

On a side note, the common room is class. We gotz a pool table, a foosball table and a 360 :cool: So it's not all work and no play.

EDIT: We're also given a LOT of freedom compared to all the other schools in the local area. Lunch times we're given free reign to go out and i have friday half days all year round!
(edited 13 years ago)
My old school has a horribly complicated entry system.

It essentially boils down to: A in English Language and Maths, A in all subjects to be studied at A-level, and an average of 7.0 (A*=8, A=7, B=6, and they'd be very dubious about accepting applicants with any C grades)

Should they happen to be under-subscribed one year, they will take applicants with a B in one potential A-level subject, and if they're really desperate, applicants with Bs in no more than 2 of the A-level subjects and an average of 6.5.

There are 8 grammar schools within 30 miles of me, and they all seem to have pretty similar entry requirements, from what I can tell.

Original post by zxh800
As for the what i think of the school, be ready to work. I'm used to the work load but lots of the new people are struggling.

Wanted to second this - the drop-out rate for new sixth-formers at my school was CRAZY high. I don't really understand why, but a lot of the incomers said the workload was too much. I'd assume that was more of a problem with sixth-form in general than grammar schools in particular. (Although that doesn't explain why in my year, 20% of the newbies dropped out and only 0.95% of the continuing students... :confused: )
(edited 13 years ago)
...or the ones who have been tutored all their lives for the 11+ exams. :wink:

nah in sixth form its all based on gcses!! .. and youd get kicked out if you did well in 11+ and then started failing in class
Original post by my9rides
There used to be Grammar schools and Comprehensive schools, but neither of these exist anymore.
There are simply private schools, or state schools...so what do you mean by a 'grammar' school?

I went to a Grammar School in Buckinghamshire - there they take about 35% of the peer group, I believe. They also exist in Kent and the West Midlands, among other places.
Reply 37
I went from a comp to a grammar school sixth form in the Southend area. The offer was 4A's and 4B's in your best 8 subjects+ A's in the subject you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello , can you help me?
I am predicted 11 A's ad I have acheived 3A's in year 10 however I think I will achieve a B in English Lit and Lang. Do you think i will have a chance of getting in?
Thanks :smile: I want to do Biology, Chemistry, Geology and philosophy
Reply 39
Original post by Marcusroye98
Hello , can you help me?
I am predicted 11 A's ad I have acheived 3A's in year 10 however I think I will achieve a B in English Lit and Lang. Do you think i will have a chance of getting in?
Thanks :smile: I want to do Biology, Chemistry, Geology and philosophy

You'll do fine! My grammar school at least just requires Bs in the subjects they're taking, you're predicted As in those four (if you do them at GCSE, that is). I got a B in english lang and french, and my other grades were As, mostly, I know people with mostly B/C grades that get into grammar school sixth forms, so unless yours is majorly competitive I'd say you have a good shot still.

Latest