The Student Room Group

Twenty-one Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year

Scroll to see replies

I love seeing white people (i am white too) try and sympathise with non-whites and try and compare experiences. Utter fail.
Reply 181
Ah the race card :rolleyes:
Original post by PearlyWhites
Well I'm glad to know that Imperial is so ethnically diverse. But that's just a mere drop in the ocean, considering the discrimination faced on a WIDER, NATIONAL SCALE.

I did acknolwedge myself that I was using unreliable anecdotal evidence, hence why I asked you NOT to comment on that (which you ignored) and instead to provide a source for this evidence you supposedly have that ethnic name = lower chance of being interviewed. Find me a reliable source which demonstrates reliably a significant statistical difference in this respect, and I'll gladly concede this point.

Clearly you are not grasping the points which I have raised.

That's exactly how I feel at this moment in time.

Firstly, I'm sure that I mentioned that racism is NOT EXPLICIT. Rather, it is subtle and more destructive than mere name calling. The fact that certain races do disproportionately worse than others is a good signifier that something is going wrong.

Shall I redirect you to the part of my posts where i called racism "subtle" and "subdued"? You clearly read the whole of my post, why are you missing glaring details of what I said?

How closed minded do you have to be, to sit there and compare racism with being judged because you are considered to be "unattractive". This completely undermines the Civil Rights movements and everything that Malcolm X, Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks fought for. You have the audacity to undermine racism and compare it to something as subjective as appearance. It is for this reason why I made my original post.

You know what... if you're not going to be reasonable and actually offer evidence for your rather bold claims, I refuse to debate with you. Frankly your attitude in this post is truly disgusting. This kind of behaviour is quite commonplace on this website, but you are particularly bad.

You cannot just sit there and rant and yell pretty horrific abuse and expect that to convince people. If you're willing to have a genuine discussion, I will considering replying to whatever you have to say.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by innerhollow
I did acknolwedge myself that I was using unreliable anecdotal evidence, hence why I asked you NOT to comment on that (which you ignored) and instead to provide a source for this evidence you supposedly have that ethnic name = lower chance of being interviewed.

Good to see you up to your usual tricks getting into arguments with peeps on TSR. :wink:

How was the interview then? I'm guessing it went really well!
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Good to see you up to your usual tricks getting into arguments with peeps on TSR. :wink:

I am a nice person... people on this website (and everywhere) just frustate me sometimes :frown:

:wink:

How was the interview then? I'm guessing it went really well!

Oh did you not get my text? I wasn't able to get down to Cambridge because of the snow. I've been pooled now, so will be interviewed in January. Another month of anticipation and preparation :/

By the way, my fullest congratulations on your UCAS again, it looks like it's going amazing so far.
(edited 13 years ago)
I am a nice person... people on this website (and everywhere) just frustate me sometimes :frown:

:wink:

You are indeed a very nice person!

Oh did you not get my text? I wasn't able to get down to Cambridge because of the snow. I've been pooled now, so will be interviewed in January. Another month of anticipation and preparation :/

:zomg:

I didn't get that text... My stupid phone. :angry:
Couldn't they reschedule it?? That's kinda unfair, but then again you could still end up with an offer. Fingers crossed! :crossedf:
i'm currently at trinity college cambridge and i see quite a few black students around. high time such nonsense rumours about oxbrigde stopped
They don't want big black jungle boys being let loose onto the pretty damsel white middle class females. It's just the same scenario as back in slave days, when the slave masters didn't want the pretty white middle class girls mixing with the big black slaves.
I did acknolwedge myself that I was using unreliable anecdotal evidence, hence why I asked you NOT to comment on that (which you ignored) and instead to provide a source for this evidence you supposedly have that ethnic name = lower chance of being interviewed. Find me a reliable source which demonstrates reliably a significant statistical difference in this respect, and I'll gladly concede this point.

That's exactly how I feel at this moment in time.

Shall I redirect you to the part of my posts where i called racism "subtle" and "subdued"? You clearly read the whole of my post, why are you missing glaring details of what I said?

You know what... if you're not going to be reasonable and actually offer evidence for your rather bold claims, I refuse to debate with you. Frankly your attitude in this post is truly disgusting. This post makes it clear to me that you just wanted to rant wildly about your perceptions of racism rather than listen to what anyone else to say on the matter. This kind of behaviour is quite commonplace on this website, but you are particularly bad.

You cannot just sit there and rant and yell pretty horrific abuse and expect that to convince people. If you're willing to have a genuine discussion, I will considering replying to whatever you have to say.

"Perceptions of racism"? So yet again, you're living up to my original post. Not wanting to accept that racism exists. It's all in our heads isn't it. Because its not LOUD and PROUD. This is exactly what I am talking about.

"Horrific abuse"? Really? Because I dare to challenge your mode of thought? Suddenly I'm an aggressive, irrational, vile individual... apparently the worst on TSR. Your comparisson of being judged because you're unattractive and racism, was insulting. Yet you haven't justified your point, you've just been very emotional.

Is this how you deal with things in the real world? *shakes head*.

For your benefit, I will revert to simple terms:

-Racism is subtle but prevailent.
-Perhaps it was a case or racism in the Oxford applications
-Howver many black people who have the grades do not apply

I don't know what your levels of intellect are, but we're clearly not on par. You made a point, I challenged it and then you resorted to your one player slanging match. Apparently I'm sat here ranting and yelling. I can you assure you sir that that's far from the truth.

Perhaps if you're unable to articulate your points, its better not to air them at all.

Go away and think about it. And if you're really lucky, I may reply tomorrow. But please reduce that blood pressure- I know its rising right now.

Pearly Whites
Reply 189
Original post by Roflhahalol
Do you really have to refer to us as "the blacks".... seriously?

I apologise for their ignorance. Unsure what else to say. Just hope they'll learn...
Reply 190
Tbh I'm black and do kinda think some lesser candidates are playing the race card, lots of white people didn't get in, don't here them reporting about it
Original post by Rowan06g
Tbh I'm black and do kinda think some lesser candidates are playing the race card, lots of white people didn't get in, don't here them reporting about it

your opinion is clearly irrelevant.. i bet they call you 'uncle tom'. do you not care about your fellow brothers and sisters in their time of struggle?? they are being systematically oppressed in the world of academia.
shame on you!
Not sure what the problem is here.

Oxbridge want the best candidates, regardless of skin colour.

Still, it's amusing looking at all the high-rated comments on the Guardian website claiming that it simply must be racism.
I am black and Oxford said it's the reason I didn't get in /troll
Absolutely no need to go on about race. If you had rotting skin and you were good enough, I'm sure you would be admitted! (maybe quarantined first, though)
I don't buy it. There are a number of ways that explain it and are not racist but the guardian has chosen to ignore nearly all of them.

P.S To those who are saying the universities can't see your race, i'm fairly sure they could make informed guesses for some people who have less anglicised names such as Tolu.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 196
I know three people who got 6A*s at A level who didn't get into UCL. I know about 20 with 4-5 A*s at A level who didn't get in. I know of hundreds who had at least 3 A/A*s who didn't get in. All of these people had loads of A* GCSEs too. Point being: it's no surprise that that person didn't get into Oxford. It's happening at all the top universities. There was an article about a private school girl who didn't get in with 5As last year, and people attributed it to 'her private schooling'. People need to just realise that it is getting tougher, so they have to up the requirements at the universities.
Apparantly Cambridge is introducing a new joint honours degree in rape and credit-card fraud to combat this problem.
i didnt realize UCAS asked for skin color
Original post by TheSownRose
It's not Oxford's fault that the black applicants* weren't good enough, was it?

It's ****ing shocking.

If that is the case, have you not even stopped to think and question: "Why were Black Students not good enough"?

Would it be something to do with how all too many people of an ethnic minority are at a disadvantage, usually based on either ethnic or economic grounds? - Please, don't answer that question, as I'm pretty worried you might issue a stupid response.

Perhaps the issue in this case is not that Oxford are racist. But if that is not the case, it clearly shows how there is something fundamentally wrong with society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending