The Student Room Group

How representative is TSR of the student generation?

I don't really know much more than south east London, but ever since I became a TSRer, it's opened me up to a lot of different views. I'm kind of scared now that when I go off to uni in another part of the country I'm going to be hit by a wave of intellectuals who have extremely opiniated views on race and religion.

Anyway the question is, how do the views of people on TSR compare to the people in your world? Is TSR a good representation of British students or does it just attract a certain type?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't say it attracts weridos. :ninja:
but it's certainly not representative of British students.
Reply 2
A terrible representation.

Most are anti-social middle class twerps
Reply 3
Original post by jennaz77
I don't really know much more than south east London, but ever since I became a TSRer, it's opened me up to a lot of different views. I'm kind of scared now that when I go off to uni in another part of the country I'm going to be hit by a wave of intellectuals who have extremely opiniated views on race and religion.

Anyway the question is, how do the views of people on TSR compare to the people in your world? Is TSR a good representation of British students or does it just attract weirdos?

All I've been hit by since coming to uni is a wave of ditzy girls and fake rudeboys from the Home Counties. And this is like the 12th-place uni, I believe.

Anyway the question is, how do the views of people on TSR compare to the people in your world? Is TSR a good representation of British students or does it just attract a certain type?

I wouldn't say it attracted weirdos necessarily, but I would say that it is quite representative of the people that I've come across at my uni. Also, so people are different in real life to the way they come across online... Some people have a habit of saying things they would never say in person!
Reply 5
well I think the main reason people probably find this forum (myself included) is because they were googling for academic reasons and located this site :smile: so yeah, they probably are quite academic people, seeking extra advice for their futures.

but I know what you mean; I can hold a good conversation, but only about music/films/college/work/travel etc as don't really have much of a developed opinion on politics yet, or religion or race etc. I see some of the threads on here and I am like 'what?' :tongue:
It attracts a certain type.
ie. those with no social life. Actually that's not true, just generally smarter people. You would have to be searching for academic stuff for this site to come up really.

I don't think I've ever met a student like the ones that are on here.
Reply 7
fairly accurate in its own way. most members are mindless idiots who go to protest marches, think they're incredicool because they got A*s in drama, think they're entitled to a place in a university because studying sociology at degree level is a meaningful use of their time and the government's money, talk about crap tv that actually rules 30% of their brain workload, talk about getting drunk and posting pictures of themselves whored up on facebook, complain that they partners act like whores on facebook, become depressed, seek attention and validation on the internet to prevent their suicidal thoughts from actually bringing them close to the edge, give their best pals some pos rep for posting a smilie that adequately conveys how much they fancy a cookie in a minute even when their typical diet consists of burned cheese on toast, drink a little more, lol about doing drugs they'll never see in their entire lifetime, discuss how they hate sheepskin boots, discuss how everything is the fault of whoever the media focuses on in spite of the fact that people like nick clegg are part of an organisation, pretend they have a say in political matters, have lengthy philosophical debates about killing animals and whether skin colour makes you inferior that actually achieve nothing since they are not in a position to change anything, talk about the latest twitter craze, post their blog and how good their blog is and how they need followers for their blog and how blog, wish they were more interesting, wish they werent single after dumping the whore for being a whore, initiate an ldr with the most sympathetic poster in one of their validation threads, realise what a drag it is, become depressed, anon-ask how to break it off, break it off, drink some more, become more depressed

and then accidentally their entire degree and life.

so yes, pretty much precisely what the student population is like.
Not particulary representative tbh.
Reply 9
If tsr was truly representative, then there is a lot of sexy people out there.
Original post by jolteon
fairly accurate in its own way. most members are mindless idiots who go to protest marches, think they're incredicool because they got A*s in drama, think they're entitled to a place in a university because studying sociology at degree level is a meaningful use of their time and the government's money, talk about crap tv that actually rules 30% of their brain workload, talk about getting drunk and posting pictures of themselves whored up on facebook, complain that they partners act like whores on facebook, become depressed, seek attention and validation on the internet to prevent their suicidal thoughts from actually bringing them close to the edge, give their best pals some pos rep for posting a smilie that adequately conveys how much they fancy a cookie in a minute even when their typical diet consists of burned cheese on toast, drink a little more, lol about doing drugs they'll never see in their entire lifetime, discuss how they hate sheepskin boots, discuss how everything is the fault of whoever the media focuses on in spite of the fact that people like nick clegg are part of an organisation, pretend they have a say in political matters, have lengthy philosophical debates about killing animals and whether skin colour makes you inferior that actually achieve nothing since they are not in a position to change anything, talk about the latest twitter craze, post their blog and how good their blog is and how they need followers for their blog and how blog, wish they were more interesting, wish they werent single after dumping the whore for being a whore, initiate an ldr with the most sympathetic poster in one of their validation threads, realise what a drag it is, become depressed, anon-ask how to break it off, break it off, drink some more, become more depressed

actually, they post comments that imply they are somehow superior to everyone else...
Reply 11
and i would sayt tghat this is because students are always on the internet now, TSR is simply a bigger, less explored facebook for them, a place where there actually are over 400 people to talk to [not the 400 friends you'll never speak to] and "connect with" - its a place where attention-starved can broadcast their lives to an audience that is established and teeming with life. it is also a place where the social rejects can congregate, a place where your fugly face is meaningless behind the mask of scarlett johannsson or david tennant, a place where you can be attractive just by expressing opinions that are a little different to the norm.
Reply 12
and yes, it is also a place where the narcissist underachiever can notch his grades up and look cooler, and compete with other underachievers to prove his alpha status, in spite of its hiding beneath layers of neurosis and laziness. a place for insecure narcissists to dance about - keeping a certain distance so that their faults can never be seen - in front of the introverts, who themselves come here to avoid direct contact.

Too many middle class whites.
Original post by jolteon
and i would sayt tghat this is because students are always on the internet now, TSR is simply a bigger, less explored facebook for them, a place where there actually are over 400 people to talk to [not the 400 friends you'll never speak to] and "connect with" - its a place where attention-starved can broadcast their lives to an audience that is established and teeming with life. it is also a place where the social rejects can congregate, a place where your fugly face is meaningless behind the mask of scarlett johannsson or david tennant, a place where you can be attractive just by expressing opinions that are a little different to the norm.

Says the angst ridden TSR member with a cartoon avatar. Is that Pokémon?
Reply 15
Original post by jolteon

Original post by jolteon

It seems like TSR has made a really deep impression on you. :teehee:
Reply 16
Original post by Mujeriego
Says the angst ridden TSR member with a cartoon avatar. Is that Pokémon?

angst ridden? try harder bro.
Original post by Gwalchgwyn

Most are anti-social

Original post by chemical_bex
those with no social life.

I swear everyone on TSR thinks that everyone else on TSR doesn't have a social life because they are on TSR, yet they know full well they themselves have good social lives despite being on TSR. Weird...

(Sorry chemical_bex, so said it wasn't true but my point remains the same because it crops up on every thread like this. Also I've assumed you have social lives...)
I don't think it's very representative at all.
The majority are high achievers who usually succeed in obtaining a string of As and A*s, and the vast majority go to quite high ranking prestigious universities.

In terms of the people I know in real life, while a few achieve As but the majority get Bs,Cs and Ds. In terms of where people are applying to university most of them are hoping to stay in Sheffield and/or apply to the polytechnics (nothing wong with them) which are usually sneered upon here.

Overall I see tsr as quite neeky and elitist BUT it is also a place of invaluable support and advice. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
too many muslims not enough jews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending