The Student Room Group

Matrices

Let AMn(Z)A \in M_n (\mathbb{Z} ) be a square matrix with integer entries.

Suppose that AA is invertible and its inverse A1A^{-1} also has integer entries.

Prove that det(A)=±1det( A)=\pm 1.

Help? :cry2:
Reply 1
A matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is invertible. (Easy proof.) Which integers have a multiplicative inverse in the integers?
Original post by Zhen Lin
A matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is invertible. (Easy proof.) Which integers have a multiplicative inverse in the integers?

Sorry, I don't understand. How would I go about doing this 'easy proof'?

Thanks. :top:
Bump
Reply 4
You don't need to prove the if, just the only if. Remember, detAB=detAdetB\det A B = \det A \det B
Original post by SimonM
You don't need to prove the if, just the only if. Remember, detAB=detAdetB\det A B = \det A \det B

How would I apply detAB=detAdetBdetAB=detAdetB to this proof/question?

Where does the matrix BB come from?

Sorry, I just can't seem to figure where to apply it.

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Well, aside from A, what other matrix do you have?
Is this correct?

We know A.A1=IA.A^{-1}=I and det(AB)=detA.detBdet(AB)=detA.detB

So, detA.detA1=detIdetA.detA^{-1}=detI

detI=1detI=1, so,

detA.detA1=1detA.detA^{-1}=1

Since the matrices in this case only have integer values, the only possible determinants are

±1\pm 1, and detA=detA1detA=detA^{-1}

Also, can you find an example of a 3x33x3 matrix AA with the above properties such that AA has all nonzero entries?

Thanks
Bump
Reply 9
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Since the matrices in this case only have integer values, the only possible determinants are

±1\pm 1, and detA=detA1detA=detA^{-1}

Yes, but your second equation isn't true in general. (It is true in this very special case because detA=±1\det A = \pm 1.)

Also, can you find an example of a 3x33x3 matrix AA with the above properties such that AA has all nonzero entries?

Yes, such matrices exist. (I found one on my second attempt by plugging in random positive integers.)

Quick Reply

Latest