The Student Room Group

A2 GovPol or A2 Geog for Econ at Uni?

Just wondering whether I should drop Government & Politics or Geography for A2 if I want to read Economics or Economics & Management at a top University? Which do they prefer?

Please assume that I am equally able in both subjects and that I enjoy both subject in the same amounts.

A few details about me:

Hopefully applying to: Oxford for Econ&Management, Bristol for Econ&Management (but may look into straight Economics at an other highly-ranked Uni).

My AS-Levels are: Maths, Economics, Geography, Gov&Pol, French, and Critical thinking.

My A2-Levels are: Maths, Economics, French, and either Geography or Gov&Pol

Please note that I already speak French fluently and so some Universities don't consider French as a proper subject for people in my situation. Therefore, I'm actually doing 4 AS-Levels (+ French + Critical Thinking) and 3 A2-Levels (+ French).

Thanks in advance for your answers and feel free to ask questions about my situation!
Reply 1
Original post by tripleeagle
Just wondering whether I should drop Government & Politics or Geography for A2 if I want to read Economics or Economics & Management at a top University? Which do they prefer?

Please assume that I am equally able in both subjects and that I enjoy both subject in the same amounts.

A few details about me:

Hopefully applying to: Oxford for Econ&Management, Bristol for Econ&Management (but may look into straight Economics at an other highly-ranked Uni).

My AS-Levels are: Maths, Economics, Geography, Gov&Pol, French, and Critical thinking.

My A2-Levels are: Maths, Economics, French, and either Geography or Gov&Pol

Please note that I already speak French fluently and so some Universities don't consider French as a proper subject for people in my situation. Therefore, I'm actually doing 4 AS-Levels (+ French + Critical Thinking) and 3 A2-Levels (+ French).

Thanks in advance for your answers and feel free to ask questions about my situation!

Either.
Whichever you like least.
In terms of strength there is little difference in them both, if it really came down to it I would say Geography > Government and Politics.
Reply 2
Original post by SPMS
In terms of strength there is little difference in them both, if it really came down to it I would say Geography > Government and Politics.

From reasing 'blacklisted subjects' lists I've got the idea that Geography is a proper subject (probably not as hard as History but in the same category). On the other hand, GovPol seems to be a bit of a doss: not bad but not in the top categories either.

I just thought maybe it's different for Economics? Geography is strongly related to Economics, I find.

So would you say they are both equally valuable within my choice of subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by tripleeagle
From reasing 'blacklisted subjects' lists I've got the idea that Geography is a proper subject (probably not as hard as History but in the same category). On the other hand, GovPol seems to be a bit of a doss: not bad but not in the top categories either.

I just thought maybe it's different for Economics? Geography is strongly related to Economics, I find.

So would you say they are both equally valuable within my choice of subjects?

If you really didn't mind which one you were dropping, then drop GovPol.
However if you find one more enjoyable than the other then I would go with this.
Geography would make your application slightly stronger.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending