The Student Room Group

Appealing a fine for excessively loud music, seems unfair

Hello.

I have been given a fine by my uni for excessive noise in the early hour of a Saturday morning. However i feel this is grossly unfair as it was not the reasons they have given seem inapplicable to me. For instance, the peoples who's kitchen it was had been warned earlier in the night, i had not, and this was stated as an 'aggravating factor' in the notification of the fine.

Basically what happen was, at 2:30am me and a friend were invited up to their kitchen, one of them put on Du Hast, another turned it up, but within literally 1 minute of this a security guard had turned up and took names.

Is this grounds to appeal a fine? its a 50 quid, but with 30 of it suspended.
Does anyone know what the process is like?
Do these fines get revoked, or is it a case of you have a student handbook, you agreed to the terms thus you are responsible, end of?

Thanks for any replies.
Seems unfair, since you were simply fined without a warning. Which uni was this?
Reply 2
Original post by ItsSuperdan15
Hello.

I have been given a fine by my uni for excessive noise in the early hour of a Saturday morning. However i feel this is grossly unfair as it was not the reasons they have given seem inapplicable to me. For instance, the peoples who's kitchen it was had been warned earlier in the night, i had not, and this was stated as an 'aggravating factor' in the notification of the fine.

Basically what happen was, at 2:30am me and a friend were invited up to their kitchen, one of them put on Du Hast, another turned it up, but within literally 1 minute of this a security guard had turned up and took names.

Is this grounds to appeal a fine? its a 50 quid, but with 30 of it suspended.
Does anyone know what the process is like?
Do these fines get revoked, or is it a case of you have a student handbook, you agreed to the terms thus you are responsible, end of?

Thanks for any replies.

Good song choice.
Reply 3
Original post by 01010000 01001010
Seems unfair, since you were simply fined without a warning. Which uni was this?

Twas Reading Uni
Original post by ItsSuperdan15
Twas Reading Uni

What halls are you in?? Last year people only got fined if it was a repeat offence. Like a period of a few weeks.
Are fines were much heftier though, as well as the infamous 'hall community service'.
Organise a meeting with your hall representive. They are usually understanding.
Reply 5
Original post by youareafever
What halls are you in?? Last year people only got fined if it was a repeat offence. Like a period of a few weeks.
Are fines were much heftier though, as well as the infamous 'hall community service'.
Organise a meeting with your hall representive. They are usually understanding.

Bulmershe. Yeah i think this seems to be the 'warning' fine because the next is another unsuspended fine, plus the rest this fine. so 80 quid in all. I'd prefer not to risk that really! Not really to sure who the reps are tbh ha, but will go find somebody.
Reply 6
Oh come on, a security guard turned up within one minute?!!!! Moral of the story, don't irritate your flatmates (or anyone else's) at 2:30 in the morning, no matter how drunk.
Reply 7
Original post by notanumber
Oh come on, a security guard turned up within one minute?!!!! Moral of the story, don't irritate your flatmates (or anyone else's) at 2:30 in the morning, no matter how drunk.

No shizz, he was at the door by at least the 3rd or 4th 'Du Hast mich'. I guess it does sound unrealistic but that is generally the truth. Also your assumption are the same theirs, and looks like they will cost me a fine. I had two pints at 11ish. That is not drunk at all, slightly merry, but still aware of my surroundings. Im not an arse who would to appeal if i felt it was just, im the sort of lazy person would prefer to pay a fine than bother with the hassle of it, but its more the ease at which i got the fine, no warning and no questions.

Also i am aware that people may have been disturbed. It was said in the reasons for the fine that it was presumed, thus no actual complaints. No warning, No complaints, No connection with music, No time to actually leave...Pretty sure thats not grounds for a fine. However the couple of people who had been warned and turned on the music...probably do deserve it.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending