The Student Room Group

What's your view on the Niq'ab and Hij'ab?

Scroll to see replies

I do not give a rat's arse about what some Muslim women may wear or do not wear. Some people who are massive busybodies make it their business to tell other people what they can and can't wear. People need to leave other people alone. :pierre:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Mujeriego
Have you ever worn niqab? I fail to see why you should know any better when you are just as unqualified to comment constructively as the next fellow.

FWIW, I like and respect the headscarf. I have no qualms about it at all except in the case of parents who make their young daughters wear it. It's a woman's garment designed to conceal womanly curves so it has no place in a little girl's wardrobe. As for the niqab I am still undecided. I know a handful of girls who freely wear it out of their own choice. I just don't understand why you would wear one in Europe. There is no need. Niqabis to me seem to wear it out of vanity and not piety.

Indeed. Young girls do not need to wear it, parents who do that are silly. However, 14 isn't little. Obviously anything younger than that is.

But I think the main reason parents get them to wear it at a younger age is to get them used to it. What do you by 'I just don't understand why you would wear one in Europe.'?
Reply 22
It depends on the women, whether they want to wear it or not.:ninja2:

To be honest, it alienates Muslim girls from mixing with other cultures. A headscarf in fine but a Niqab is over the top.

My sister doesn't wear it and we don't think its necessary.
Original post by medbh4805
I do not give a rat's arse about what some Muslim women may wear or do not wear. Some people who are massive busybodies make it their business to tell other people what they can and can't wear. People need to leave other people alone. :pierre:

This. You know, democracy, and all that.
Reply 24
Original post by lonely14
It depends on the women, whether they want to wear it or not.:ninja2:

To be honest, it alienates Muslim girls from mixing with other cultures. A headscarf in fine but a Niqab is over the top.

My sister doesn't wear it and we don't think its necessary.

I can understand why. Your signature shows your understanding clearly. By the way were the Prophet SAW's daughters and wives alienated:

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: The riders used to pass by us when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in ihraam. When they came near us we would lower our jilbaabs from our heads over our faces, and when they had passed by we would uncover our faces. Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1562.
?
(edited 13 years ago)
Have you ever worn niqab? I fail to see why you should know any better when you are just as unqualified to comment constructively as the next fellow.

FWIW, I like and respect the headscarf. I have no qualms about it at all except in the case of parents who make their young daughters wear it. It's a woman's garment designed to conceal womanly curves so it has no place in a little girl's wardrobe. As for the niqab I am still undecided. I know a handful of girls who freely wear it out of their own choice. I just don't understand why you would wear one in Europe. There is no need. Niqabis to me seem to wear it out of vanity and not piety.

No. I haven't. Because I know that I'd hate for people not to be able to see my face properly while interacting with them. Why would I want to put a barrier between myself and the world? It's like making yourself invisible, robbing yourself of your individuality.

Thanks, but I'm quite happy as I am.

I'd also like to make clear I have nothing against headscarves, but from what I've been told, there's nothing in the Qur'an about covering your entire face.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by #Funky
Indeed. Young girls do not need to wear it, parents who do that are silly. However, 14 isn't little. Obviously anything younger than that is.

But I think the main reason parents get them to wear it at a younger age is to get them used to it. What do you by 'I just don't understand why you would wear one in Europe.'?

I wish I was talking about 14 year olds but no, I am talking about girls as young as 3 or 4. That annoys me because it is essentially a competition between parents. A 'my-chador-is-bigger-than-yours' type contest which often ends up with young girls stuffing it in their bags in secret. Encouraging it is healthy but enforcing it is reckless. My baby nieces wear it occassionally but they wear sparkly pink ones to copy their mum as all young girls do so I don't have a problem with it. I have a problem with kids wearing widow cloaks.

As for my niqab issue I meant that I don't see the point. It is not compulsory and it is divisive. In fact I see it as a cry for attention. Would you wear a violently orange suit at a funeral and then claim to be shy?
Reply 27
Original post by Eloise987
No. I haven't. Because I know that I'd hate for people not to be able to see my face properly while interacting with them. Why would I want to put a barrier between myself and the world? It's like making yourself invisible, robbing yourself of your individuality.

I'd also like to make clear I have nothing against headscarves, but from what I've been told, there's nothing in the Qur'an about covering your entire face.

Islam isn't only based on the Holy Qur'an. Furthemore, when you speak over the phone how do you cope with that? You're interacting but you can't see them?

Weird.

I wish I was talking about 14 year olds but no, I am talking about girls as young as 3 or 4. That annoys me because it is essentially a competition between parents. A 'my-chador-is-bigger-than-yours' type contest which often ends up with young girls stuffing it in their bags in secret. Encouraging it is healthy but enforcing it is reckless. My baby nieces wear it occassionally but they wear sparkly pink ones to copy their mum as all young girls do so I don't have a problem with it. I have a problem with kids wearing widow cloaks.

As for my niqab issue I meant that I don't see the point. It is not compulsory and it is divisive. In fact I see it as a cry for attention. Would you wear a violently orange suit at a funeral and then claim to be shy?

Indeed, aged 3 or 4 annoys me too that is just wrong and stupid. A 3 year old girl doesn't even remember what she did the day before and anyone who sets eyes on her should be dealt with.

I've never come across the chador contest! I'll look out for it though! What is a widow cloak? I'm sure woman of Islam like to follow the Mothers of Islam. Check this quote:

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: The riders used to pass by us when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in ihraam. When they came near us we would lower our jilbaabs from our heads over our faces, and when they had passed by we would uncover our faces. Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1562.
Why the apostrophes though? There's nothing in the Arabic to suggest it should be written with a ' after the q and the j. Hijab is nice, fine. Niqab is a little bit unfortunate in the this country in my opinion, as its not fard and is a choice - so there's no reason to section yourself off from society. I believe that women have the right to dress as they please however I don't see any value in hiding women away from the world like ghosts. I don't believe that is what Islam is seeking for.
I think the niqab is horrendous and I resent seeing it worn in my country.
Reply 30
Original post by #Funky
I can understand why. Your signature shows your understanding clearly.

?

What do you mean? :confused:

I'm a Muslim by the way and I do celebrate Christmas and there is nothing wrong with it.

By the way were the Prophet SAW's daughters and wives alienated?

Prophets wives and daughters didn't live in Modern Europe, did they?

but in Britain we live in Multicultural society and in my opinion Niqab does alienate Muslim women from interacting with people of other races.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by #Funky
Islam isn't only based on the Holy Qur'an. Furthemore, when you speak over the phone how do you cope with that? You're interacting but you can't see them?

Weird.

Indeed, aged 3 or 4 annoys me too that is just wrong and stupid. A 3 year old girl doesn't even remember what she did the day before and anyone who sets eyes on her should be dealt with.

I've never come across the chador contest! I'll look out for it though! What is a widow cloak? I'm sure woman of Islam like to follow the Mothers of Islam. Check this quote:

There's a reason we don't live our lives over the phone.
Reply 32
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
Why the apostrophes though? There's nothing in the Arabic to suggest it should be written with a ' after the q and the j. Hijab is nice, fine. Niqab is a little bit unfortunate in the this country in my opinion, as its not fard and is a choice - so there's no reason to section yourself off from society. I believe that women have the right to dress as they please however I don't see any value in hiding women away from the world like ghosts. I don't believe that is what Islam is seeking for.

It' just for pronounciation. Is that a big issue for you?

Original post by lonely14
What do you mean? :confused:

I'm a Muslim by the way and I do celebrate Christmas and there is nothing wrong with it.

Prophets wives and daughters didn't live in Modern Europe, did they?

but in Britain we live in Multicultural society and in my opinion Niqab does alienate Muslim women from interacting with people of other races.

I know you seem confused. I don't celebrate Christmas. You don't even have sence of stating PBUH after referring to the Prophet.

I'm pretty sure that in Arabia back then, Arabs weren't the only inhabitants of those lands.
Reply 33
There's a reason we don't live our lives over the phone.

Distorting your argument is pointless. You fail.
Reply 34
Ninja's lol i have a few friends who wear it and i couldn't really care less.

What really troubled me is i saw a muslim couple at the GP with their new baby, the wife was covered up head to toe, just showing her eyes. My question is how do you know thats your wife o_o.

I await your neg rep
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by #Funky

No it's not a big issue, I just don't see how it would help with the pronunciation at all since they are flowing words - niqaab, hijaab. Qur'an yes because it is said in two parts, Qur (stop) an. Just wondering where you got it from.
Reply 36
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
No it's not a big issue, I just don't see how it would help with the pronunciation at all since they are flowing words - niqaab, hijaab. Qur'an yes because it is said in two parts, Qur (stop) an. Just wondering where you got it from.

I remember reading it somewhere. I'm new to Islam, I'm still learning. But my foundations are pretty strong.

If it is incorrect then it is.

So why are you dictating to others to wear it before talking when you are guilty of the same? A little consistency would be nice. I don't even like niqab and I still cringe when people try that "individuality" guff. Not every woman is empowered by being half naked and thrusting her sexuality in the face of every passerby. Judging by the shedloads of cosmetics and fake tan I'm not convinced that most girls want to show their faces properly anyway.

Some girls like it, some don't. Fin.
Original post by #Funky
Distorting your argument is pointless. You fail.

I don't see how. I know it's PC to act all cool with it, but I can't help being uncomfortable about the matter. It may be their choice on the face of it, but there is a certain level of indoctrination involved. Very few women who weren't brought up that way choose to wear it. Yes, the same can be said for all clothing and habits, as everything is cultural, however it is quite extreme and apparently has quite a large (potentially negative) fallout on the wearer's life.
Reply 39
Original post by #Funky

I know you seem confused. I don't celebrate Christmas. You don't even have sence of stating PBUH after referring to the Prophet.

I'm pretty sure that in Arabia back then, Arabs weren't the only inhabitants of those lands.

But my point still stands. You can't bring Arabia into Western Europe. :colonhash:

And by the way, sure Arabs weren't the only inhabitants living there but they were certainly in majority whereas in Britain we're the minority.

If you don't like living here, why don't you run back to Arabia than? :curious:

Quick Reply

Latest