The Student Room Group

NY Times writer refuses to hire superbly qualified babysitter, because he's male

source

in short
But then she veers off into dark and scary territory. She relates how she recently was looking for a regular babysitter for her preschool daughter. One candidate was a 23-year-old man who sounds like Superman. Sprinkle writes: "He was well spoken and exuded a quiet friendliness over the phone. He was studying to become a paramedic (great to have around in case of emergencies), lived his whole life in the neighborhood, had a mother who owned a local daycare, and worked as a summer camp counselor at the very preschool my daughter was now attending and got rave reviews from his supervisor there."

Read the next passage carefully. What is both infuriating and chilling is that Sprinkle doesn't have the first clue how offensive it is:

"I told him frankly that I liked him best of all and yet still wasn’t sure I could make the leap of letting a man watch my daughter: one who might have to help her wipe, clean her up in case of an accident, who would be alone with her everyday for several hours."

Sprinkle ended up hiring a woman over the best candidate, solely because the best candidate is male.

this is just sexism in its purest form
what do you think of the story?
I think she should be sued for discrimation because she admitted that her problem was he was male, do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

I think when it comes to who's going to be around her child, she's entitled to hire or not hire whoever she wants - even if it were on the bounds of discrimination. She has no obligation to be an 'equal opportunities employer', she is hiring out of her own pocket.

In addition:

Lol I couldn't resist.
(edited 13 years ago)
Who cares if it's 'sexism'. I wouldn't want a male looking after my daughter; as she said, the babysitter might have to see her naked (nappys, or if she has an accident or whatever), I wouldn't want any man to see that. Seriously, get over it.

I bet if I wanted to be a mechanic, it would be harder for me to be hired as a woman, then for a guy. People like you need to get rid of those ridiculously annoying chips off your shoulder. It's called life.
(edited 13 years ago)
No. While I'm against sexism, you should be able to discriminate babysitters. You need someone you can trust completely, and if you don't trust a man with your child then you should be able to hire a female if you wish.
Reply 4
Wow, as a male, DOA, you seriously want a man as your babysitter ?

Wow =/
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Who cares if it's 'sexism'.

I bet if I wanted to be a mechanic, it would be harder for me to be hired as a woman, then for a guy. People like you need to get rid of those ridiculously annoying chip off your shoulder. It's called life.

Okay, I wouldn't go that far, all he did was say it was sexism, which it is, regardless of whether she is right or wrong to not hire the guy. I think it's presumptuous to infer that the OP has a a 'ridiculously annoying chip on his shoulder' simply because he brought up a topic that you think should be strongly disregarded.
Reply 6
Who cares if it's 'sexism'. I wouldn't want a male looking after my daughter; as she said, the babysitter might have to see her naked (nappys, or if she has an accident or whatever), I wouldn't want any man to see that. Seriously, get over it.

I bet if I wanted to be a mechanic, it would be harder for me to be hired as a woman, then for a guy. People like you need to get rid of those ridiculously annoying chip off your shoulder. It's called life.

I'd say get over it right back to you, what do you think he's gonna do, rape her?
A woman can't be hired as an infantry soldier, and there was a facebook campaign to oust the female Match of the Day commentator when she wasn't bad at all.

Likewise I got told I'd have a hard time looking for au pair work because I'm a bloke.

The media is to blame for this problem; with Gary Glitter making headlines amongst other "sickos" according to the Sun, there is a social taboo with men and small children.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8

So if you have a son, a woman cant see him naked?. you crappy logic physically hurts
Reply 9
Original post by Dream Weaver
No. While I'm against sexism, you should be able to discriminate babysitters. You need someone you can trust completely, and if you don't trust a man with your child then you should be able to hire a female if you wish.

but the man was the best candidate, he had lots of experance and fantastic references from other employers so the only reason she didnt trust him because hes male
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Okay, I wouldn't go that far, all he did was say it was sexism, which it is, regardless of whether she is right or wrong to not hire the guy. I think it's presumptuous to infer that the OP has a a 'ridiculously annoying chip on his shoulder' simply because he brought up a topic that you think should be strongly disregarded.

More for the idea that the mother should be 'sued for discrimination'..

Original post by Arekkusu
I'd say get over it right back to you, what do you think he's gonna do, rape her?

Well, no. But excuse me for not wanting an unrelated man to see my baby daughters naked genitals.

Original post by DOA
So if you have a son, a woman cant see him naked?. you crappy logic physically hurts

No. But do women not typically have a different role in society to men? It's totally different. Your crappy punctuation hurts me more; who puts a full stop after a question mark?
Original post by DOA
but the man was the best candidate, he had lots of experance and fantastic references from other employers so the only reason she didnt trust him because hes male

Not in her eyes, clearly.
It's her child - whilst I'm not for sexism, you have to be comfortable with the people watching your children. However, it's unfortunate that the source of her discomfort appears to come from the 'all unrelated men are paedophiles' school of thought; most people wouldn't have a problem with a woman babysitter wiping their son.

My father and I ran an experiment recently; we individually went over to the park when there was a children's football game happening, and took a picture of a tree in that sort of direction, but clearly not aiming the camera at any of the kids. Guess who was confronted about it? :rolleyes:
Reply 13

I bet if I wanted to be a mechanic, it would be harder for me to be hired as a woman, then for a guy. People like you need to get rid of those ridiculously annoying chips off your shoulder. It's called life.

So it's alright when it's sexism towards guys but just not women?!

(yeah that's right neg me because you can't reply)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by cttp_ngaf
Not in her eyes, clearly.

but he was the link says so its just the fact hes male and she went for a less quilified woman
if you want a cleaner for female changing rooms, and the best cleaner is a man should you hire him?

if you want a waiter for an italian restaurant should you hire the chinese guy even though he's the best waiter?

there are cases when you can discriminate
Original post by DOA
but he was the link says so its just the fact hes male and she went for a less quilified woman

"best qualified" is a subjective assessment.
Original post by F i s
So it's alright when it's sexism towards guys but just not women?!

:curious: What makes you think I'm against 'sexism'?
Reply 18

No. But do women not typically have a different role in society to men? It's totally different. Your crappy punctuation hurts me more; who puts a full stop after a question mark?

Ok so based on your logic men and women have different roles and its ok for women to do so called "mens roles" but not the other way around
Reply 19
:curious: What makes you think I'm against 'sexism'?

The fact that you have no issue with a guy being discriminated when his qualifications are perfectly suitable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending