The Student Room Group

Is it eBay or EBAY or Ebay?

Hey all, just a quick question, im just doing that hardvard referencing thingy mabob and im really not sure what to put as my first word for ther above company. Help please!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
'eBay' is the name of the company.
(edited 13 years ago)
eBay I think
Original post by Ewan
Ebay

Depends on context I guess, the company refer to themselves as eBay but if you wrote it in a sentence you would write Ebay.

Would you then also write Iphone and Ipod?
Reply 4
eBay. Eveyone knows that.
Reply 5
Original post by mikeyd85
Would you then also write Iphone and Ipod?

Only at the start of a sentence.
Reply 6
eBay.
Reply 7
Original post by Ewan
Depends on context I guess, the company refer to themselves as eBay but if you wrote it in a sentence you would write Ebay.

What makes you say that? Everything I've ever seen written about them uses 'eBay'.
Reply 8
Original post by Ewan

nah it's always iPod
Reply 9
Original post by nuodai
What makes you say that? Everything I've ever seen written about them uses 'eBay'.

I thought because it's a proper noun but it seems you are correct.
Only on TSR would you have a debate about the correct capitalisation of 'iPod'.
Reply 11
eBay. Trust me.
Original post by Ewan

But it's a product name and therefore not subject to grammatical convention...
Reply 13
Thankyou guys, its just a bit of a different case when starting a reference with a low case letter. It just seems wierd. thanks all!
It's a small e due to connections with e-commerece with is usually written with a un-capitalised e.
Reply 15
Just check out the eBay site... http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-ebayipuse.html

"eBay is always spelled "eBay." It's never spelled "Ebay," "e-Bay," "ebay," or any other way."

Same for iPhone, iPad... these are brand names and don't follow rules of capitalization, even at the start of a sentence.
But yes it always look weird to start your sentence with a lower e, so you can try to change your whole sentence from "eBay is..." to "The company/the website eBay is..."
Original post by StephenP91
It's a small e due to connections with e-commerece with is usually written with a un-capitalised e.

While you're obviously right that's rather misleading as e-commerce would be E-commerce at the start of a sentence since it's a 'normal' word and not a brand name.
eBay.
I know everyone's already said that.. but I opened the thread, so might as well reply to it :biggrin:
Original post by T.I.
Hey all, just a quick question, im just doing that hardvard referencing thingy mabob and im really not sure what to put as my first word for ther above company. Help please!

Yeaaaah, cause its ****ing hard to type 'ebay' into google and find out your self.
Bandwidth hog
Reply 19
eBay idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending