The Student Room Group

Screwed up my interview. What do I do now?

Just had my Skype interview for St. Johns college PPE.

I was really nervous and got all tongue twisted. I could not express myself clearly. I could have done better.:frown:

What should I do now, do I wait for rejection or ask if I could have another go, do you think it's worth it?

Best of luck to all.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

wait for the decision
Reply 2
You might of done fine! Wait and see the outcome. Good luck.
Good luck!
Don't expect too much :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by jiayi930829

I was really nervous and got all tongue twisted. I could not express myself clearly. I could have done better.:frown:

What should I do now, do I wait for rejection or ask if I could have another go, do you think it's worth it?

Best of luck to all.

You won't be able to have another go, I'm afraid. So the only thing you can do now is wait for the decision and hope for the best. It may not have gone as badly as you thought it did, though, as you're not necessarily the best person to judge your own interview performance. Quite a few people who do get in thought they had messed up their interviews completely..:wink:

Best of luck to all.

Hey :smile: I just had my interview too and I know what you mean. I gave some really random and stupid answers because I was too nervous to think. Ah well, the whole application process was fun while it lasted :\
Reply 6
omg they do interviews on skype now :O
There's not really much you can do about it now, so just sit back with a nice cup of tea and some biscuits and try not to worry about things you can't do anything about.

This is in addition to everything hobnob's said. I rather suspect my "worst" interview had a part in getting me in :ninja:

Try and relax :smile:
wait.... ^ ^ heard oxford releases decisions really soon. lol might fly over next week for interview.
Reply 9
Original post by Johnshopkinser
wait.... ^ ^ heard oxford releases decisions really soon. lol might fly over next week for interview.

Yes. Soon as in before Christmas. How is this relevant to this thread, though?:confused:
Original post by hobnob
Yes. Soon as in before Christmas. How is this relevant to this thread, though?:confused:

nah just wanna say that she doesn't have to feel bad for long
Reply 11
Original post by Johnshopkinser
nah just wanna say that she doesn't have to feel bad for long

Oh, right.:smile: Sorry, that wasn't entirely clear to me.
Reply 12
Thanks, everyone, I really am grateful for your support.

I was sorta hoping that other colleges might give me another chance, seeing that it is common to be interviewed at multiple colleges, but is it the same for overseas Skype interview as well? Or, more likely, that I have ruined it so bad that they are having no second thoughts on me?

(I don't know how to quote using the device I am using, sorry for that)

I really hope that they will take the fact that English is not my first language into account, but of course, to do a PPE course well, you need to be able to express yourself freely, I guess. Oh, I hate myself.

The worst part is that I think I know what they were trying to get me to say, and I just couldn't find the right words to express myself. It's really frustrating and I panicked. There were lots of things I could have said but was too nervous to realise, and I feel a million times worse after each replay of the interview inside my head.

But I agree with you, Interpretation, that the whole process was fun while it lasted. I guess it also helped me to be aware of my tendency of stuttering and shutting down my brain when I most needed it not to happen.

I should try to forget it now, and wait for their decision. And I am really grateful that they won't keep me waiting for too long, as a little part of me is still hoping for something miraculous involuntarily. Thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it.=)

Best of luck to all other applicants!

I was sorta hoping that other colleges might give me another chance, seeing that it is common to be interviewed at multiple colleges, but is it the same for overseas Skype interview as well?

I really really hope so, but probably not :/

The worst part is that I think I know what they were trying to get me to say, and I just couldn't find the right words to express myself. It's really frustrating and I panicked. There were lots of things I could have said but was too nervous to realise, and I feel a million times worse after each replay of the interview inside my head.

But I agree with you, Interpretation, that the whole process was fun while it lasted. I guess it also helped me to be aware of my tendency of stuttering and shutting down my brain when I most needed it not to happen.

I'm pretty sure my interviewers thought I couldn't speak english because I was panicking so much. At one point, I couldn't pronounce "vulnerability" and said "vulnerableblebleity" instead (I repeated it twice and ended up saying the same thing).

And one thing, I just realized that I don't know the names of my interviewers. How pathetic is that?
Reply 14
Wait for the decision. You never know how you've done in interviews I think really, people tend to focus on the bad things and completely forget awesome things they did :biggrin: (Speaking from personal experience ^^ ... that's what I do anyway, and from talking to other people, lots of people do the same) :smile:
Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Interpretation
I really really hope so, but probably not :/

I'm pretty sure my interviewers thought I couldn't speak english because I was panicking so much. At one point, I couldn't pronounce "vulnerability" and said "vulnerableblebleity" instead (I repeated it twice and ended up saying the same thing).

And one thing, I just realized that I don't know the names of my interviewers. How pathetic is that?

(I can quote now!)

Same here, I was shaking so much that I couldn't even write properly when the economics tutor asked me a probability question. So I did it in my head and now come to think of it I am not even sure if I got it right!

I am pretty sure they doubted their sanity on wanting to interview me. It lasted barely thirty minutes and I think they were pretty bored of my half-witted answers. I feel bad about being a waste of time. :frown:

I did a little research on the PPE tutors at St.Johns and I was aware of who was interview me, and it made it worse because I feel so very small and ignorant being interviewd by those brilliant people.
In the words of Homer Simpson, the lesson is 'never try'. :tongue:
Reply 17
blackmail?
Original post by Mr. Orange
wait for the decision

Exactly. Wait for the decision. I know to you it seems bad that you got nervous, but they'll understand that. Infact the fact that you got nervous shows you really want to go there, if you were to casual about it then they'd just think you didn't care.
Reply 19

Best of luck to all.

Don't ask for another go. wait. Get some Hot Chocolate and some sweets. Nurse yourself back to life. Get ready for the next interview and don't think about the result of the Oxford PPE interview until Christmas eve.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending