The Student Room Group

Am I alone in feeling resentment towards EU students?

Let me explain, I have nothing against the overseas students (eg Chinese, Japanese Americans etc) as they pay more money for their degrees and they pay up front. (allthough I get annoyed when they get first choice for accomdation and take over the computer suites lol).
What annoys me are students from the EEA. Basically, once they graduate they go back to Europe and often do not pay back any of their loans. Pretty unfair when us English/Welsh students will be hounded for the rest of our lives! (don't get me started about Scottish students!). Especially when they recieve the same financial assistance of the UK students and the prefferential treatment of the Overseas ones. What annoys me more is the ones who obviously come from rich families and spend money like water, yet they are too stingy to pay their way! Perhaps UK universities should make them pay up front like they do to Japanese kids! Another suggestion would be to not let them graduate with the degree until a repayment plan is set up_after all they do it to English/Welsh students easy enough!

Scroll to see replies

Without all the influx of rich euroboys and girls, English schools would not be as prestigious or as well funded. So it's unfair, but you benefit from it in the end.
Original post by DrunkenMaster
Let me explain, I have nothing against the overseas students (eg Chinese, Japanese Americans etc) as they pay more money for their degrees and they pay up front. (allthough I get annoyed when they get first choice for accomdation and take over the computer suites lol).
What annoys me are students from the EEA. Basically, once they graduate they go back to Europe and often do not pay back any of their loans. Pretty unfair when us English/Welsh students will be hounded for the rest of our lives! (don't get me started about Scottish students!). Especially when they recieve the same financial assistance of the UK students and the prefferential treatment of the Overseas ones. What annoys me more is the ones who obviously come from rich families and spend money like water, yet they are too stingy to pay their way! Perhaps UK universities should make them pay up front like they do to Japanese kids! Another suggestion would be to not let them graduate with the degree until a repayment plan is set up_after all they do it to English/Welsh students easy enough!

I'm an EU student and I don't receive ANY financial support from the UK government, I am not even eligible for a loan. I realise that I am incredibly lucky that my parents are able to support me in doing this, and I will be forever grateful to them. What I fail to see though is how any of this is a reflection on me as a person. Don't be so bitter.
Actually:

1. EU/EEA students who come to the UK to do their whole degree pay domestic/EU fees up front every year, as any English student does, but student loans are not available to EU students who have not resided for more than three years in the UK immediately prior to applying for university, and thus I fail to see how they can fail to pay the government back if the government doesn't pay them anything in the first place.

2. ERASMUS programme students who come to the UK to study for a semester or a year within a degree are generally paid for by a combination of EU grants, government loans from their home country and personal contributions from the student and their family.

EU students almost universally pay their way. Perhaps you should have done a little more research before ranting about this?
(edited 13 years ago)
EU students are not entitled to financial support from the UK government as far as I know.

Also, I've heard that there is actually is a monetary compensation from said student's country to the UK government, but I'm not sure how true it is.

Finally, by being in the UK, as an EU student, I'm dropping over 20K a year directly into the British economy straight from overseas. I dont see why you should have a problem with that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Actually:

1. EU/EEA students who come to the UK to do their whole degree pay domestic/EU fees up front every year, as any English student does, but student loans are not available to EU students who have not resided for more than three years in the UK immediately prior to applying for university, and thus I fail to see how they can fail to pay the government back if the government doesn't pay them anything in the first place.

2. ERASMUS programme students who come to the UK to study for a semester or a year within a degree are generally paid for by a combination of EU grants, government loans from their home country and personal contributions from the student and their family.

EU students almost universally pay their way. Perhaps you should have done a little more research before ranting about this?

I found stories like this in the Sun, Times etc etc. Maybe you respondents do pay your way, but there are thousands who don't.They reckon it costs the UK taxpayer millions every year. At the end of the day if I wanted to do my degree in Germany, Spain or Luxembourg I would have to fork out myself.
I found stories like this in the Sun, Times etc etc. Maybe you respondents do pay your way, but there are thousands who don't.They reckon it costs the UK taxpayer millions every year. At the end of the day if I wanted to do my degree in Germany, Spain or Luxembourg I would have to fork out myself.

Actually a lot of countries in continental Europe offer free or nearly free university education, also for international students. Do your research.
Reply 7

Just to clarify a few things, there are a lot of us that decide to stay and work in the UK, not every single EU student who studies in the UK rushes back to their country.

And we do pay our loans. Fully.
Reply 8
British students don't study abroad as much as other European students do. Many mainland European universities have courses taught in English too.

In Spain you can get it free!! I don't care if you are xenophobe or not but shut your ignorant mouth up!
Have a good day :smile:
I'm hoping to be studying in the UK, and I'm not eligible for government assistance. EU students are in the domestic fee 'grade', and can't take UK government assistance.

If UK students want to study in continental Europe, they also pay home fees, which are a lot less than in the UK. The universities also offer bilingual degrees.
Original post by SoulfulBoy
In Spain you can get it free!! I don't care if you are xenophobe or not but shut your ignorant mouth up!
Have a good day :smile:

lol I'll pos rep you for the mood swings when I get points back
Reply 12
"don't get me started about Scottish students"? That's not really your place to say if you don't know the financial situation in Scotland, or if you don't even come from Scotland; we're going to have to pay next year anyway. Same applies to your EU counterparts. I can see your point, but without foreign entrees then even the most prestigious and richest of universities would fail due to lack of funds.
Original post by Jarlsberg
"don't get me started about Scottish students"? That's not really your place to say if you don't know the financial situation in Scotland, or if you don't even come from Scotland; we're going to have to pay next year anyway. Same applies to your EU counterparts. I can see your point, but without foreign entrees then even the most prestigious and richest of universities would fail due to lack of funds.

Indeed the whole point of this rant is those who take more than they give. On my campus I know many Luxemburgers and Germans who grasp every grant/loan they can get hold of, whilst planning to start afresh back on the Continent.
Indeed the whole point of this rant is those who take more than they give. On my campus I know many Luxemburgers and Germans who grasp every grant/loan they can get hold of, whilst planning to start afresh back on the Continent.

British are europeans too. And I know two cases of that. They will get their degree and will fly back here. So stop bitching!:angry:
:colondollar:
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
lol I'll pos rep you for the mood swings when I get points back

:wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Actually:

This, I'm an EU student and I don't get a dime in loans. I work my ass off working AND studying full time. Oh, and I've stayed here after graduating.

The Sun? Seriously? Why don't you just go to the actual sources, like the student loan company, and do some research yourself before believing BS from tabloids.
(edited 13 years ago)
What makes me wonder is how they manage to pass. A lot of the European students in my seminars can't speak English very well (I'm not attacking them for that lol my French and German are far worse!), when it comes to discussions they seem to really struggle, yet have to write essays and exams in English. :confused:
Original post by White Trash
What makes me wonder is how they manage to pass. A lot of the European students in my seminars can't speak English very well (I'm not attacking them for that lol my French and German are far worse!), when it comes to discussions they seem to really struggle, yet have to write essays and exams in English. :confused:

Wich university are you from?
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Wich university are you from?

Quite a high ranking one.

Quick Reply