The Student Room Group

What is your IQ?.......(Official scores only)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovedubstep
'People who boast about their IQ are losers.' - Stephen Hawking.

Why would you take an official IQ test? Apart from wanting to act clever (when it is debatable how good an IQ test actually is at measuring intelligence) there's is no other reason.

You can find areas in which you are lacking confidence by taking an IQ test. My little brother discovered that he had a problem when it came to questions which demand the ability to use short-term memory.

Whereas he scored near-genius/genius in every other part, he was below average (98) when it came to that particular section and so we discovered that he does seriously have a problem :frown: He's now training to improve this and so maybe it will in fact help him.

Just thought I'd explain a situation in which I thought this test is useful!
Reply 81
Original post by tripleeagle
You can find areas in which you are lacking confidence by taking an IQ test. My little brother discovered that he had a problem when it came to questions which demand the ability to use short-term memory.

Whereas he scored near-genius/genius in every other part, he was below average (98) when it came to that particular section and so we discovered that he does seriously have a problem :frown: He's now training to improve this and so maybe it will in fact help him.

Just thought I'd explain a situation in which I thought this test is useful!

I thought you couldn't improve your IQ :confused:. You can improve your short-term memory (Nintendo DS) I personally think IQ tests are a good indication of general intelligence. They measure how open minded you are which is imo how intelligent you are.

But saying this everytime I've done an IQ test or something similar with mates we always seem to get different types of questions each right. It's really weird how different people think.
Original post by SuperGuy
I'd like to put forward 2 questions to those who have taken an IQ test in controlled exam conditions, overseen by any governing body which mensa would accept as genuine enough for entry (in this case, disregarding the score of course).

i.e the real deal, no online tests, home tests etc (I'm sure someone will still make a joke concerning this regulation, I'm waiting.....)

Questions:

a) What is your IQ? (out of interest :smile: )

b) Do you accept IQ scores (in general) as good measurements of general intelligence?

Thanks.

When I was younger I had a professional IQ test done. I still don't know why, I was about 10 at the time, it was my parents idea, I have no idea why. It might have been because they weren't sure if I was retarded of just had a stupidly short attention span :P

At age 10 it was found to be low 150s, 153 or 154 I think.
Original post by Lamps08
I thought you couldn't improve your IQ :confused:. You can improve your short-term memory (Nintendo DS)

Sorry if I wasn't clear - "improve his short-term memory" is what I meant :smile: My family and I don't really care what his IQ is (althought it's nice to know that your little brother is smarter than you :P) but we'd like him to improve his short-term memory because he obviously seems to have a serious problem in that respect.

I think IQ scores are probably more accurate at measuring levels of intelligence than GCSEs.
Original post by mackemforever
When I was younger I had a professional IQ test done. I still don't know why, I was about 10 at the time, it was my parents idea, I have no idea why. It might have been because they weren't sure if I was retarded of just had a stupidly short attention span :P

At age 10 it was found to be low 150s, 153 or 154 I think.

haha I had the IQ test done to me when I was about 10 as well and got near-genius/genius I think (or top 2% of UK?). I think it was after I had trouble sleeping: when in bed, in the dark, I always thought about what the point of life is. Is this for troubled kids or something?
Original post by Bourgeois
I find that the people who are most likely to have their IQ tested (officially) are either geniuses or retarded. Most people simply won't bother. They may do it out of curiosity of course but I don't see any other reason.

Well, you just contradicted yourself; are you saying only geniuses and 'retards' can be curious? :s-smilie:
Reply 86
Sorry if I wasn't clear - "improve his short-term memory" is what I meant :smile: My family and I don't really care what his IQ is (althought it's nice to know that your little brother is smarter than you :P) but we'd like him to improve his short-term memory because he obviously seems to have a serious problem in that respect.

I think IQ scores are probably more accurate at measuring levels of intelligence than GCSEs.

But seeing as you can improve your short term-memory then surely you can improve your IQ score.
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
Well, you just contradicted yourself; are you saying only geniuses and 'retards' can be curious? :s-smilie:

No. The "retards" along with the geniuses usually test their IQ because they're told to do so.

For everybody else, I don't see any other reason why they would do a formal IQ test other than curiosity.
I don't do IQ tests as my neurologist said that I'm 'un-IQ-able' due to my epilepsy which has seriously affected non-verbal reasoning centre of my brain. Supposedly I'm in the highest 5% for my age at verbal reasoning but in the lowest 30% for non-verbal which apparently makes for an inaccurate IQ. Also apparently my short term memory is ****ed up too.
So no they aren't a great at judging intelligence.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't want to know my IQ score. It's not a good indicator of the mental richness of an individual. I remember there was this alternative test proposed a while back, a single question: "What can you do with a brick?" with a limited time to answer. In a study some so called geniuses could at most name the basic functions of a brick. A lot of raw power but no sign of personal depth. Apparently Bush has high above average IQ, yet he lacked the common sense to make good decisions.
Intelligence alone not a good indicator of success and happiness in life.
Original post by Lamps08
But seeing as you can improve your short term-memory then surely you can improve your IQ score.

You can improve your IQ score, I'd think. Memory is a muscle which will improve with exercise. If memory is taken into account in an IQ test, then with an improvement of memory, inevitably will come an improvement of the IQ score. Or that's my logic anyway :biggrin:

Let me make it clear, however, that we don't care about improving my brother's score. We care about improving his short-term memory. And if this improvement leads to a higher IQ, then so be it! : )
IQ scores are totally meaningless without the paper (is this the right word?) quoted as well, because even on the two current mensa ones, an equal result on the culture fair is much better (or less statistically probable) than the english based one...

i got 152 and 149 on the catell III culture fair A and catell III b respectively.

never understood why they grade them like this, cause on the culture fair its 132 for top 2% IQ, but the otther is 145 for top 2% IQ..

and its a measure of a certain type of intelligence, obviously not general intelligence or whatever.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 92
Most people who emphasize their 'high' IQ are in fact quite stupid.
Reply 93

Since when does 2 points below average constitute a 'serious problem'? :confused:
Reply 94

That's in binary though
Idk about my official score, but I'm pretty sure my online one must've been good because after I completed the test, it told me I had won the Nigerian lottery.
Original post by Einheri
The same reason why you see guys driving Jeeps and Land Rovers without ever driving on so much as a dirt track - small penises. :biggrin:

I love driving my truck up a dirt track... :sexface:
Reply 97
143 though I believe there is much more to intelligence than what IQ tests can pick up on.

It's like how the highest achievers in education are often complete idiots.
Why have so many people taken IQ tests at school?

EDIt: I also find it funny how people find it neccessary to mention what percentile they came when the vast majority of the population have never taken an IQ test.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by spazman21
Lol... I remember when you claimed you're IQ was 155

Meh, didn't want to sound big headed (it is 155 btw).

Nice memory :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending