The Student Room Group

For those who have job

What happens if your work time finishes and you haven't finished the task you were doing?
Reply 1
If it can be done that day I'll do it before I leave. I have to read a lot of scripts for my job so I tend to take them home with me to read. As a rule I don't like starting a day with work that should have been done the day before.
If it's closing time, we have to do it, otherwise we can't leave. If it's a day shift, then whoever is taking over your shift takes over the job.
The title of this thread reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYaqAoxxhyU&feature=related
Reply 4
I would try and finish it within the next hour and if it doesn't get done, then I'll just leave it for the next day. I've only ever been in this situation once when I had to stay for an extra hour.

Because the workplace is open 24/7 I could literally stay till whenever the hell I want lol, but that would just be silly!
I'm a teacher, I never get stuff finished.. there's always more and more I can do, you have to learn to deal with it.
Original post by Miss Behaving
If it's closing time, we have to do it, otherwise we can't leave. If it's a day shift, then whoever is taking over your shift takes over the job.

Yeah- thats pretty much the same where i work. If you are in the middle of an order (or doing something else thats important) then we have to finish it before we go. Its the same if its closing time. Otherwise whoever is taking over will do it.
I work in a hospital as a Ward Clerk - I basically sort out all of the admin stuff on my ward such as arranging outpatients appointments; filing patient notes; referring patients to new consultants, etc. I've only had to stay late once, and I then took the hour of overtime out of my next quieter shift. My ward manager is quite laid back so she was fine for me to do that. It depends on your job though I guess, I'd speak to your boss.
stay 'til the day's tasks have been done.
Reply 9
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
stay 'til the day's tasks have been done.

:eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::mad::frown::eek::confused:
Reply 10
I saw this lady on the till, it was closing time and all the customers were coming on her till you should have seen her face!
Reply 11
I make a highly complex, multi-variable, and time efficient value judgement. I think about the security of my job, how much I care, the ramifications for my colleagues if it is late, how much they're paying me, whether I'll get shouted at, whether someone else can do it, what leverage my boss has over me, if I had dinner plans. Then I think **** it, shut down, pack up, coat on, door out.
Reply 12
If it must be done by the end of the day - stay late and get it done.

If it is fairly important and possible to finish or nearly finish that day - stay late and get to a logical conclusion.

If I might lose track of it in my mind if I put it off - stay late and get to a point where I can leave it and pick it up tomorrow.

If I really just want to get something done and out of the way that day - stay late and finish it.

If I've been lazy that day and don't want to give the boss the impression that I'm a slacker - stay a bit late.

If it can wait til tomorrow - go home.

Although in all cases I keep a log of my hours and take the time of in lieu later. So really I'm just saving up hours which I can use when things are less busy.
Leave it 'til the morning unless it's important or I'm nearly done with it.
I have an office job, and in practice I don't have set working hours, I tend to work until I've done what I need to do for the day. Not all jobs have set hours.
Reply 15
I don't have a set amount of work to do , just do as much as we can.
Then whoever is working after me can carry on.
Reply 16
Original post by My Life
I saw this lady on the till, it was closing time and all the customers were coming on her till you should have seen her face!

Google a similar one and post it! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Google a similar one and post it! :biggrin:

What does that mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending