The Student Room Group

How good is UCL Chemical Engineering

I got an offer from UCL, but it was lower that I thought it was going to be, which makes me question how good the course is.

I've applied to both UCL and Imperial, UCL seems to have a social life, but Imperial seems to be better academically, however I want to know how much better Imperial is.

Does anyone have any idea?
Reply 1
Original post by Engineer31
I got an offer from UCL, but it was lower that I thought it was going to be, which makes me question how good the course is.

I've applied to both UCL and Imperial, UCL seems to have a social life, but Imperial seems to be better academically, however I want to know how much better Imperial is.

Does anyone have any idea?

I think it's quite good, what was your offer? and how long did you have to wait:P? I applied on monday:P
Reply 2
Original post by eddhann
I think it's quite good, what was your offer? and how long did you have to wait:P? I applied on monday:P

AAB and I applied on October the 14th.
Reply 3
Original post by Engineer31
AAB and I applied on October the 14th.

cool, were you interviewed?
Imperial > UCL
Reply 5
its quite good actually. UCL happens to have one of the best chemical engineering programmes in the country.

On a side note, Imperial is better but UCL is no less.
Reply 6
Original post by KingofSpades
Imperial > UCL

yeah, but theres like one girl in the whole of imperial
Original post by eddhann
yeah, but theres like one girl in the whole of imperial

ah yes, girls, the catalysts for a degree in chemical engineering.
Reply 8
Original post by KingofSpades
ah yes, girls, the catalysts for a degree in chemical engineering.

very punny:tongue:

But I want a university with a good ratio! :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by eddhann
cool, were you interviewed?

No, however my friend was for Civil ...
It's still like a third girls :P
But UCL is going to be my insurance I think with Imperial as my firm :biggrin:
I always had the impresion that UCL was average for Chemical Engineering. When I first considered Uni back in 2002, you could get in with CCC at A Level. Obviously, A levels have been dumbed down so much that today's equivalent is probably AAB/ABB.
Original post by TheFoxBlip
I always had the impresion that UCL was average for Chemical Engineering. When I first considered Uni back in 2002, you could get in with CCC at A Level. Obviously, A levels have been dumbed down so much that today's equivalent is probably AAB/ABB.

I think that there's also the factor of more applicants for chemical engineering, as well as for universities as a whole, and engineering is becoming less undersubscribed. Universities that are currently very high up in the league tables will receive a lot of applicants because of this, which in turn allows them to be even more selective.
Reply 13
how good is the chem eng facilities at UCL, they showed us just one crappy laboratory when we were there?

Quick Reply

Latest