The Student Room Group

Fear for Pakistan's death row Christian woman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11923701

The local imam says: he cried with joy when Aasiya was sentenced..."if the law punishes someone for blasphemy and that person is pardoned or released then we will take the law in our own hands"

Scroll to see replies

I believe some sanctions are in order.
Reply 2
jesus christ what's wrong with some people? did they not get the memo it is now the 21st century?
Barbarians.
Reply 4
Idiots.
Isn't it about time they stepped into the 21st century?

People like this are the reason perfectly normal, good-minded members of that religion are often victims of racial hatred.
Sickening.

On a lighter note: when they do the voice overs for people that cant speak english, they should have someone with a thick austrailian or irish accent for entertainment purposes.
Reply 6
pakistan is a fallen, broken and sick nation that has been at the mercy of the mosque and the millitary. neither of thsoe entities have constructed the country, in fact both are responsible for its corruption, downfall and poverty.

chirstians must be respected. as do all faiths.

peace out
Reply 7
And this is why Pakistan should have its nukes taken from it
I must say I thought Pakistan was above this kind of thing.
Reply 9
This sort of thing happens on an almost daily basis in the Islamic world. This is, i'm afraid, what the Quaran prescribes. Sometimes it feels like the West is playing Chess with the Muslim world, but we can't move our pieces on their side of the board whilst we have allowed all their pieces to become Queens who can move freely and do whatever they want.
(edited 13 years ago)
This is why it is ESSENTIAL that Europe cut all links with Islamic nations until they clear up their medieval laws.
Reply 11
Original post by Elipsis
This sort of thing happens on an almost daily basis in the Islamic world. This is, i'm afraid, what the Quaran prescribes. Sometimes it feels like the West is playing Chess with the Muslim world, but we can't move our pieces on their side of the board whilst we have allowed all their pieces to become Queens who can move freely and do whatever they want.

Definitely a worthy candidate for Pseuds Corner. Also worth to note that, in the past and present, the "Muslim world" hosts some of the most religiously tolerant societies as well as some of the least tolerant. So that little generalisation of yours can be put to sleep.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by adam_zed
Definitely a worthy candidate for Pseuds Corner. Also worth to note that, in the past and present, the "Muslim world" hosts some of the most religiously tolerant societies as well as some of the least tolerant. So that little generalisation of yours can be put to sleep.

Which Islamic countries that are tolerant are you thinking of? I bet for every one you can name I can name 3 Islamic states where the bible is banned, and 3 secular states that allow Muslims to freely practice...
Reply 13
Original post by Elipsis
Which Islamic countries that are tolerant are you thinking of? I bet for every one you can name I can name 3 Islamic states where the bible is banned, and 3 secular states that allow Muslims to freely practice...

The Pseuds comment was aimed at your delightful little metaphor.

I believe I did acknowledge the existence of Islamic countries that werent very tolerant so with that "threat" you are acting upon a point that I did not bring up. I merely said, counter to your sweeping statement that religious tolerance exists in the Islamic world. Now in order to do so, we need to establish your desired level of tolerance. Is tolerance in this context to be held to mean those who are free to practice their faith without prosecution or what? Because if this is the case, then even Pakistan has religious tolerance.

Now comparing an Islamic state to a secular state is a bit daft. Of course a secular state, bound by neither canon nor sharia law, is going to be more tolerant. Though just for the sake of argument, I will throw in the fact that many communist countries, which are secular, will punish those who practice religion. I understand that this is not as relevant now as it perhaps was prior to 1990 but nonetheless it is still a valid point. A more valid comparison would have been between that of a Christian Country, which would have equally been restrictive through its own legal system. Now I assume that you understand that calling Britain a Christian country in the same way as Iran is a Muslim country is wrong, as Christianity does not influence our legal system, rather that it is the predominant religion practised. In the same way, countries like Morocco, Albania and I believe Turkey are not Muslim countries.

Please, without this being interpreted as some form of bating, enlighten me as to the Islamic countries that have banned the bible. As far as I am aware, few countries have done such a thing although perhaps you can show me that I a wrong.
This is why I laugh when people tell me religions are a positive force.
Reply 15
Well, I find it hard that our country is allied with such a nation in the war against the Taliban and Al Qaeda. What is the difference between the Taliban, Al Qaeda and the Pakistani Government?

Out of interest, why do you have your head in Islam's ass all of the time, considering you're a non-Muslim?
Some people really need to get a grip on reality! this is so sad..i cant believe we still live in a world where people do this rubbish.."we're going to take matters into our own hands" or whatever that guy said. They need to have a look @ themselves and see what they're doing! As far as i know, no religion says 'go kill people..its fine honest' Ugh such fools!!
Reply 18
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Out of interest, why do you have your head in Islam's ass all of the time, considering you're a non-Muslim?

Why does the fact that I am not something mean that I cannot defend it when I feel like it is getting a raw deal from people who are quick and eager to deliver their own damning judgement on something they, like me, know little about? :s-smilie:

Yes, in my opinion there are things wrong with Islam, just like there are things wrong with every religion or indeed concept in existence. But it just is sad to see that one article highlighting the strict blasphemic laws of a theocratic country suddenly causes people to denounce the whole of Islam as barbaric. Or maybe you are of the opinion that hounding the people of a religion or acting as if their belief system is way inferior to your own will magically cure any (what we perceive to be:wink: negative elements of that religion?

Edit: btw for what it is worth, it wasnt me that negged you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Though just for the sake of argument, I will throw in the fact that many communist countries, which are secular, will punish those who practice religion.

They aren't secular then, they're atheistic/non-religious states.

Original post by Aj12
And this is why Pakistan should have its nukes taken from it

This isn't a justification for the removal of Pakistan nukes. Pakistan isn't unstable in regards to its nukes. Their nukes are there only friends in that region. It doesn't have America the same way South Korea has American and can live without nukes, there's still tension between the two countries.

Original post by Elipsis
This is, i'm afraid, what the Quaran prescribes

This is wrong. In Islam, if the state refuses to punish a person for the crime that they committed in accordance to the Islamic law, citizens can't go and take the law into their own hands. This is position is even held by some of the more zealous/extreme Muslims. Please stop stating something is prescribed in the Qu'ran when it isn't, unless you have a Quranic verse which can state otherwise?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending