The Student Room Group

Steroids are causing excessive hair growth - help!

I have to use a steroid-based cream for eczema on my face - it's just below the bottom left corner of my mouth (I am careful to not ingest it, and at the amount I use I highly doubt it'd do too much harm if I did.)

Cream's great, as long as I use it consistently ... but the problem is, it's causing excess hair growth in just this one area of my face. Rest of it is pretty clear from hair, certainly visible hair, just this small patch that isn't.

It can't be waxed or shaved, because that would rip the eczema sores open and you do not want to do that, can't bleach it because that would get into and possibly infect the eczema sores, and plucking it is just too painful and again risks opening or infecting the sores.

So, is there anything I can do? I can't stop using this cream, it's the only thing that works; is there something I could take to counteract the hair growth caused by it?

Scroll to see replies

Pluck them?

Edit: my bad, didnt see that bit.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Double Agent
Pluck them?

What did I say in the last line of the third paragraph? I'm under strict instruction to not mess around with these eczema sores, so pretty much everything I can do aesthetically is out.
Reply 3
Aw I thought this was a thread on steroid abuse!

Disappointed:frown:
I'm not aware of any hair removal pills. There are creams, but these have to be applied to your face...................which you can't do. I think you just have to ride out the storm I'm afraid
Grow a beard
Reply 6
Original post by Law123mus
Aw I thought this was a thread on steroid abuse!

Disappointed:frown:

Nope, just hairy-faced (in one small patch) women instead - sorry to disappoint.

Original post by Dude Where's My Username
I'm not aware of any hair removal pills. There are creams, but these have to be applied to your face...................which you can't do. I think you just have to ride out the storm I'm afraid

I suspected that might be the case. :frown: Oh well, just have to get used to it - this stuff really does work to keep it under control, so it's a small price to pay.
Yeah, put the cream all over your chin, get some designer stubble on the go to counteract it :cool:
Reply 8
Solution:
Reply 9
Stop the cream treatment and go for a laser treatment instead.
Reply 10
Original post by cybergrad
Stop the cream treatment and go for a laser treatment instead.

Yeah... I don't think it bothers me that much.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah... I don't think it bothers me that much.

Just put a tiny tiny plaster over it. If anyone asks just say its a really bad case of eczema and its so sore I have to cover it up. No one will care....
Reply 12
Original post by TinFish
Just put a tiny tiny plaster over it. If anyone asks just say its a really bad case of eczema and its so sore I have to cover it up. No one will care....

There's no way I can put a plaster on it that mean adhesive won't be stuck to part of the eczema, though, and those pads that you then use what looks like masking tape over irritate my skin. :frown:
If you can be really careful, you could probably trim the hairs right down so they're barely noticeable, without touching the irritated skin...
Reply 14
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
If you can be really careful, you could probably trim the hairs right down so they're barely noticeable, without touching the irritated skin...

I did consider that, but person with very shaky hands and possible dyspraxia attempting to carefully trim hairs that are only a few millimetres long anyway without touching the sores is probably not going to work... :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Well, it's hardly my fault.
Reply 16
I'm so happy I came across this post. I've had the same issue of hair growth on my eczema. I have it on the back of my leg, so it isn't too too bad. I do shave over it in the shower though, as the skin has unfortunately gotten tougher. Wahh. Maybe you could shave it very gently? Just make sure to not touch your skin with the razor's blades.

Good luck, dear. Hairy gals unite!
Try rubbing it all over your lower face, the full face beard will distract from the hair patch and the whole eczema situation.
oh, como se llama la crema para averiguar si no pide receta en la farmacia, solo quieres vello facial no en el cuero cabelludo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending