The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I just felt I ought ask something oerwise I'd seem uninterested
Reply 41
Original post by Vazzyb
What dd you get in your BMAT?

Slightly higher than the OP in the first two sections and lower in the third section. It was pretty good I guess. And I just took my BMAT score off my sig sorry :tongue: I'm getting a little paranoid about people judging me based on my BMAT.

Just saw your edit. Um, yeah I got above 6's. But as for sub-5's not getting interviews it depends on the college. Like my college offered interviews before they received BMAT results. I've met quite a few people who have had interviews with sub-5's even when their colleges waited until they got the BMAT results to offer interviews.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Scrubby
Slightly higher than the OP in the first two sections and lower in the third section. It was pretty good I guess. And I just took my BMAT score off my sig sorry :tongue: I'm getting a little paranoid about people judging me based on my BMAT.

Its only the first two sections that really count! :smile:

Yeah BMAT is an absolutely horrendous thing. As OP points out, its a 1-hour exam which should not be given so much importance compared an entire academic history.
Reply 43
Original post by DJkG.1
Which college was this?

Haha, I got the same one!

Sorry to hear about your experience though. It is wrong if that is what she said - but ultimately, the train fare is your expense and you make it for the chance of being made an offer. Whether you are told at the interview that it is unlikely, or just sent a rejection letter in early January, makes no eschatological difference to be fair.

Pure Cambridge :rolleyes:
Reply 44
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Eschatological... how on Earth can you use that word in this context?! :lolwut:

'In the end' - eschatology is a study of ends.

Original post by Vazzyb
lol...

Eschatology (from the Greek ???????/??????/???????, eschatos/eschat?/eschaton meaning "last" and -logy meaning "the study of", first used in English around 1550.

Exactly.

[1]) is a part of theology, philosophy, and futurology concerned with what are believed to be the final events in history, or the ultimate destiny of humanity, commonly referred to as the end of the world

Very restrictive and narrow definition. Edit: I see this is an exemplification of the word's illustrative use on Wikipedia, not a definition.

Original post by Niwdog
I'm not gonna mock, but you can't use eschatological in that sense. The world is not ending and the OP is not dying, and the thread has nothing to do with their life after death...

And neither is the word's use restricted to or limited by notions of life and death, and the world coming to an end.

Ohh. It makes me laugh when people on TSR use ridiculous words they obvious don't understand, in order to try and look smart. :rofl:

Original post by Vazzyb
yeah i thought you might know...

I was just also pointing out how inappropriate the word was - made me laugh when i saw it on wikipedia

I don't intend to mock either, but seriously? Wikipedia does not count as a legitimately broad and extended basis from which to hold yourself out as somebody who knows every means and context in which a word can be used. Do you not know why it is so criticised?

Original post by diamonddust
Yeah, I did a bit of a double take at 'eschatological' because I do RS but I didn't point it out because you got there first! For a second I thought maybe it had an alternate non-philosophical meaning but nope...
Oh I love TSR! :biggrin: :laugh:

Lol wtf!?!? :wtf:

Guys I cba to prove this to you - and I'm not trying to look smart (see D&D threads - people use this word all the time in relation to international relations, politics and the likes).

It very much does have an extended use outside of philosophy. Maybe look the word up outside your A-level RS textbooks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by DJkG.1

Exactly.

Very restrictive and narrow definition. Edit: I see this is an exemplification of the word's illustrative use on Wikipedia, not a definition.

Guys I cba to prove this to you - and I'm not trying to look smart (see D&D threads - people use this word all the time).

It very much does have an extended use outside of philosophy. Maybe look the word up outside your RS A-level textbooks? I'm being serious!

I've never seen it outside of a theological/philosophical context.
Reply 46
Original post by DJkG.1

Exactly.

And neither is the word's use restricted to or limited by notions of life and death, and the world coming to an end.

Guys I cba to prove this to you - and I'm not trying to look smart (see D&D threads - people use this word all the time).

It very much does have an extended use outside of philosophy. Maybe look the word up outside your RS A-level textbooks? I'm being serious!

The guy is right. My dad uses the word in the same context :colondollar:
Original post by Organ

Whether he's right or not - this is not a valid (or certainly not good) example.
Reply 48
Original post by Cast.Iron
Spoken like a true Law student :tongue:.

Lol. :wink: Best of luck with your interview at Emma. It's a fantastic college - though they do really push you to work hard!
Reply 49
Which college was this at, out of interest?
Original post by Iopiop93

then she just said something along the lines of ‘I think with your BMAT scores and the competition we have this year I don’t think it will be easy to make you an offer but you never know’ in a really patronising way. So basically that means that theyre aren’t making me an offer. I told the uni applications person in my college and he said that’s outrageous.*

Sorry, but I fail to see where this is outrageous. You might have been mis-reading part of what she was saying. When she said 'the probability of getting in is very small', that is true for everyone, and I would imagine this is said to a lot of people - there are far more applicants than places, so it makes sense to prepare people for a likely rejection.

Having said that, the way she went about communicating this to you appears to have been tactless, so it might be worth emailing the college. ALTHOUGH, you might have done a lot better than you think, so don't worry! Your BMAT score is clearly a big part of the application, however the interview is also a guiding factor, so don't give up hope!

In short, if an applicant with low BMAT scores performs excellently in other areas, I would imagine he/she might get a place.

I don’t understand what the point is in calling someone up to interview, making them dress up in a suit and just go through the whole thing and not really care what happens in the interview and just go on some crappy 1hr exam. So pissed off. Can I complain against them or at least get my train fare back or something?

Nobody 'made' you go. Surely you imagined the competition would be tough, especially with a mediocre BMAT? To be honest, if you are entering the medical world, you will need to go to a lot of difficult interviews, many with TINY chances of actually getting a job offer. You will have to go through rigorous and expensive examinations and tests which you will likely fail and have to start from scratch.

In short, I'm sorry for your experience, but if it outraged you, then I can only imagine how you will cope with a career in medicine.
Reply 51
Original post by FattyInNeed
Whether he's right or not - this is not a valid (or certainly not good) example.

Bite me.
Reply 52
I've never seen it outside of a theological/philosophical context.

Do you read academic literature outside of a theological/philosophical context? :erm: Or do you just jump at the opportunity to mock somebody for the use of a word you have never encountered so as to accuse him of trying to act smart on an unfounded basis?

You are no longer my favourite TSRian Bubbles. :frown:

Original post by Organ

Thank you! Finally somebody who doesn't just read the word in (probably the exact same) RS textbook! :rolleyes:
Reply 53
If nothing else, think of it as good experience. It may have been that other aspects of your application other then the scores really impressed them and that is why you had an interview. Lets just hope that they continued to be impressed.
Reply 54

See it's nt the fact that I'm getting rejected that pisses me off, that just saddens me. It's the fact that they knew I had no chance before they interviewed me and just wasted my time to reach some quota or something
Reply 55
Original post by DJkG.1
Whether you are told at the interview that it is unlikely, or just sent a rejection letter in early January, makes no eschatological difference to be fair.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha.

Bit of an embarrassment, really. Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

also get over it op and move on.
Reply 56
Hi, ive just had a medicine interview at Cambridge. Basically I knew my BMAT scores (5ish scores and 4D) were a little bit low beforehand from talking to other people there but I was basically told my the interviewer that I didn’t have a chance of getting in.* So what was the ****ing point in calling me up in the first place, its just a waste of everyones time tbh*

My first interview was about science and medicine and I felt it went ok, I got asked questions which I sort of knew the answers to nd even tho I didn’t express myself that well, it didn’t go disastrously. The second interview was 1-on-1 with the director of studies. She introduced herself n sed that this was the ‘pastorel’ interview. At the start she spent like 5 minutes reading my application and then she asked me questions bout my personal statement and what I would bring to college life and an ethics question about some violinist. Then at the end she sed do u have any questions, so I just asked wen will we find out even tho I knew it was early jan…then she just said something along the lines of ‘I think with your BMAT scores and the competition we have this year I don’t think it will be easy to make you an offer but you never know’ in a really patronising way. So basically that means that theyre aren’t making me an offer. I told the uni applications person in my college and he said that’s outrageous.*

I don’t understand what the point is in calling someone up to interview, making them dress up in a suit and just go through the whole thing and not really care what happens in the interview and just go on some crappy 1hr exam. So pissed off. Can I complain against them or at least get my train fare back or something?

After speaking to my super-secret oxbridge medicine sources, all one of them, the consensus (!) is that you can complain about the conduct of the interview after the decision letter arrives in January, which is a wise thing to do anyway because as the DoS said "you never know" you might get an offer. You have to complain to the college and if it turns out that several people were told the same thing that day and they also complained, the DoS might get in trouble...Good luck!
Reply 57
Thats appalling that someone spoke to you like that. Tbh, you don't want to be around and be taught by individuals who clearly have such an awful streak like that anyway.
Original post by DJkG.1
Whether you are told at the interview that it is unlikely, or just sent a rejection letter in early January, makes no eschatological difference to be fair.

Actually it might make a difference to his response to the 'eschatology' of the situation, as you bizarrely put it. If I was told I had a decent chance of an offer, I might feel more bitter after a rejection. Conversely, if I was reminded how unlikely it is to be offered a place I would be more peaceful to receive a rejection.

In another way, what the interviewer says about ones specific chances probably DOES indicate the likely eventual decision.
Original post by DJkG.1
Lol. :wink: Best of luck with your interview at Emma. It's a fantastic college - though they do really push you to work hard!

Oh thanks :smile:. I guess the swimming pool makes up for the work though!

Which college are you at?

Latest

Trending

Trending