The Student Room Group

Girls who wear glasses/specs

ok well i've recently been prescribed some new glasses. I like to think i'm at least average in the looks department but i think i'll look really ugly in glasses. Some people pull it off so well. guys and girls do you think glasses can make someone look worse?

PLEASE KEEP ANON

Scroll to see replies

Course they can, they can also make people look better. It's all down to the type of glasses and peoples' preference.
Of course they don't. Or certanly in my opinion. Why should they? As long as you don't have a pair of glasses as thick as jam-jar lids you should look fine.
Reply 3
I hate glasses on me but they're fine on anyone else :smile: To be honest I don't really notice them on other people unless I've known them a long time and they've suddenly just started wearing them.
Original post by Anonymous
ok well i've recently been prescribed some new glasses. I like to think i'm at least average in the looks department but i think i'll look really ugly in glasses. Some people pull it off so well. guys and girls do you think glasses can make someone look worse?

PLEASE KEEP ANON

"Gentlemen makes pases at girls wearing glasses" :wink:
Get the right glasses and you won't look worse. Are you male or female OP?

Just don't go for metal frames. They make ANYONE look geeky imo.
Yes, wrong looking glasses can make you look worse. Make sure your frames suit you and get some contacts for times you don't want to wear glasses because of what they look like. Sorted.
Reply 7
It doesn't make much of a difference really. Take advice from the shop assistant regarding what suits you for your first pair (they have a lot more experience than you!).

I only got mine when I was 20 and I thought I looked odd to start with, but then I began to see that I actually look halfway intelligent with them on :p: Goes well with the sexy secretary thing as well :wink:
I've seen cases where glasses make people look fine, if not better than without glasses.
It's about choosing the right glasses. Certain materials and shapes suit different faces; I don't do so well in chunky plastic frames with narrow lenses, but other people have said I look nice in thin metal frames with decent sized lenses.

Go to an opticians and ask for a qualified dispenser's opinion.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Ilora-Danon

i'm female, i'm getting plastic framed ones but they all look wrong on me :frown: i've got an oval shaped face my face is quite long too, what do you recommend?
Original post by Ilora-Danon

Wha frames do you have?

I have two metal pairs, and I don't think I look geeky at all. They look smart, and my bright blue ones (with fern leaves down the sides, no less) are just awesome :biggrin:

My red ones.
My blue ones.
if i'm being honest, glasses generally make people look nerdy and more ugly. a minority of people can pull glasses off well. thats my own opinion, i'm sure other people will think differently.
Reply 13
If glasses isn't your thing.
Another option is contacts! Remember glasses don't define who you are, you do!

Think Smart, not Cool.
I used to hate wearing my glasses, but after getting a few good pairs you can really start to enjoy them. It can be fun changing your look as well, just by changing the pair of glasses you wear.

PLEASE KEEP ANON

I've been wearing glasses since I was 6 and I'm now 18 :L Get the right pair - try on a bunch until you find ones that flatter your face and bring out your eyes. You can make glasses your worst enemy or your best friend. If you are female, thick dark frames = less dark eye makeup needed. You do not want to look like you've been punched in both eyes (from previous experience! :tongue:). If you go for rimless ones, they can open up your face and you can pretty much wear any kind of makeup!

Personally, I opt for monthly contacts. I don't wear them everyday, I save them for after school or if I'm going somewhere/playing sport and I want to be glasses free. I plan to get Laser eye surgery as soon as I'm eligible, and if you really don't like your glasses, maybe that's something you can save up for and look forward to in the future :smile:

Glasses haven't made me 'ugly' or 'unnattractive'. It's how you wear them :smile: I've had no problems in getting and sustaining a relationship because of my specs :L
Reply 16
Original post by Absinth
I hate glasses too, but I have to wear them until my eye infection gets better. I've found rimless ones are quite good and are more subtle...

E.g.

Spoiler

you look great with them :smile:, i tried rimless even the specsavers advisor said i looked alot older with them on :frown:
Reply 17
It varies from person to person but I think they always look good if they -

a. suit your face shape and personality.
b. make a statement.

although saying that i hate mine with a passion at present but i'm hoping to get a new pair. I;m currently having a gander at glasses direct to see what new ones are out there.

What I'd give to have an oval face so i could get square ones :emo:
Reply 18

PLEASE KEEP ANON

They can make people look better or worse. I think I look okay in mine depending on how I do my hair.

You could always do what I do, only wear them if you're in class/watching a film/TV and things like that. I don't wear them if I'm not doing anything that requires me to see long distances lol. :tongue:
Specs appeal. :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending