The Student Room Group

Brighton or Hertfordshire?

hi, just want to know what these uni's are like, i'm having trouble deciding which one is best..
Reply 1
if anyone goes to one of the above please tell me what you think..and anyone who has applied what made you choose it? id really appreciate any feedback.
Reply 2
I've applied to both, went to an interview at Hertfordshire last week and Brighton today. I think it depends on what sort of place you like and I would definately say go and visit them before you decide. But in my opinion, I prefered Hertfordshire. x
Reply 3
Original post by Ninny

Original post by Ninny
I've applied to both, went to an interview at Hertfordshire last week and Brighton today. I think it depends on what sort of place you like and I would definately say go and visit them before you decide. But in my opinion, I prefered Hertfordshire. x

thanks! what did you think of Brighton? and why did you prefer Herts?
Reply 4
Original post by hupper12345
thanks! what did you think of Brighton? and why did you prefer Herts?

I thought Brighton was nice, very modern but there are only a few subjects there and it's not really a campus university as there are only a few buildings. I thought the accomodation there and hertfordshire is roughly the same, though there is less of it on the pharmacy brighton campus. The facilites at Hertfordshire and Brighton were similar but Hertfordshire had much more and I just liked the whole atmosphere at Hertfordshire, the campus and everything is very central. Also you need a car or have to travel by a bus (not shuttle bus) at Brighton because it's quite far out of the town, whereas in Hertfordshire there's a direct bus to the town and stuff.

What other unis are you applying to? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by hupper12345
hi, just want to know what these uni's are like, i'm having trouble deciding which one is best..

Well, I study at Brighton and I think that Brighton is honestly a lot better than Herts. It has had the pharmacy course for more than 20 years so the course is well organised, the university has a new building and the lecturers try to make the course very interesting.

Original post by Ninny
I thought Brighton was nice, very modern but there are only a few subjects there and it's not really a campus university as there are only a few buildings. I thought the accomodation there and hertfordshire is roughly the same, though there is less of it on the pharmacy brighton campus. The facilites at Hertfordshire and Brighton were similar but Hertfordshire had much more and I just liked the whole atmosphere at Hertfordshire, the campus and everything is very central. Also you need a car or have to travel by a bus (not shuttle bus) at Brighton because it's quite far out of the town, whereas in Hertfordshire there's a direct bus to the town and stuff.

What other unis are you applying to? :smile:

Its nice to hear your feedback on Brighton, is there anything that you disliked about the open day? As I can give your comments to the organisers without saying your name. And anything we can improve on or you liked?

The good thing about Brighton is the train station a minute walk away from the university. As if you wanted you could go and live in halls at Falmer campus (which are a lot nicer) and get a train everyday it would only be a 3 minute journey!

Also in regards to the getting to town it is a 7 minute train journey to Brighton by train...so if you don't like travelling by bus, train is the way to go! And its a 25 minute journey into town by bus, which isn't too bad...I do wish we had our campus in town, but the Arts courses beat us there!
Reply 6
Original post by petzneo
Well, I study at Brighton and I think that Brighton is honestly a lot better than Herts. It has had the pharmacy course for more than 20 years so the course is well organised, the university has a new building and the lecturers try to make the course very interesting.

Its nice to hear your feedback on Brighton, is there anything that you disliked about the open day? As I can give your comments to the organisers without saying your name. And anything we can improve on or you liked?

The good thing about Brighton is the train station a minute walk away from the university. As if you wanted you could go and live in halls at Falmer campus (which are a lot nicer) and get a train everyday it would only be a 3 minute journey!

Also in regards to the getting to town it is a 7 minute train journey to Brighton by train...so if you don't like travelling by bus, train is the way to go! And its a 25 minute journey into town by bus, which isn't too bad...I do wish we had our campus in town, but the Arts courses beat us there!

I did like Brighton, and it is a very nice place and my comments are not really about the course and the place itself or things that can really be changed that much :smile: I did really like the new building, but I just personally prefer a university where there are a lot of different subjects together, easier access to the town and things like that. I didn't manage to see the other halls, only those right by the building so it would be good to see them. I think the open day was really well thought out and nice but just out of personal preference that I prefered Hertfordshire. :smile:

Thanks for the information about Brighton though, it was very useful and I guess that actually being a student there gives a good insight into what the university is really like. :smile:
Reply 7
Two years later... yeah I went to interviews to both Brighton and Hertfordshire this year and am having a tough job deciding which one D:
Reply 8
Hertfordshire :smile:
Reply 9
I'm at Brighton. It is an OK university with very good resources and an online site where you can get most of the lectures that are delivered via powerpoint (just about every single lecture since I began the degree 3 yrs ago).

The campus isn't really a campus, and I would criticise it for not having suitable facilities. There are limited places to eat and drink, all are VERY VERY noisey and congested, and a sprinkling of very basic student shops. It is also bursting with students. Each year it gets more and more crowded. Be warned, you will fight tooth and nail for computers and books.

However, I can't fault the University for their range of learning resources, and it is very well established amongst the pharmacy community to give you solid links in yr 3 and 4 for pre-reg (though of course you are in very high competition in the area). The course leader is smashing and very student-focused. Lecture structure is tough. 3 hour blocks, often upto 6 hours a day. Labs that are 4 hour blocks, often 8 hours a day. Copious amounts of coursework. Always conflicting deadlines, always work over the holidays, exams in January and May/June, plus umpteen mini-exams and OSCE assessments/dispensing exams peppered throughout the year.

Living in Brighton. VERY expensive. Not value for money IMHO.
Transport links are excellent by train, bus or the mini-van (campus-to-campus)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending