The Student Room Group

Reasons for a Rejection on the spot?

As an early applicant (medicine) I have received word of a few offers from ucas, I have an interview for Glasgow but also a flat out rejection from Manchester. Now I'm not making a malice statement against Manchester university or demanding to be put in the top 300 from approximately 2000 candidates. I am only wondering if anyone knows how manchester judge their prospective students? My grades were all A's, my GCSE's were sound and my UKCAT was over 700. Coming from Northern Ireland do Manchester offer limited spaces for Non-Englishmen? Do I count as international? do they select their interviews on a random basis? any help would be appreciated thanks
Reply 1
Original post by That Bearded Man
As an early applicant (medicine) I have received word of a few offers from ucas, I have an interview for Glasgow but also a flat out rejection from Manchester. Now I'm not making a malice statement against Manchester university or demanding to be put in the top 300 from approximately 2000 candidates. I am only wondering if anyone knows how manchester judge their prospective students? My grades were all A's, my GCSE's were sound and my UKCAT was over 700. Coming from Northern Ireland do Manchester offer limited spaces for Non-Englishmen? Do I count as international? do they select their interviews on a random basis? any help would be appreciated thanks

Manchester have a four-stage process:

Stage 1 - academic screen (not including UKCAT). If you pass this then you proceed to stage 2.

Stage 2 - PS and reference scoring. The PS and ref are scored against a set of criteria. If you score above a certain score you go to stage 3.

Stage 3 - all applicants through to this stage are then ranked by their UKCAT score. The top however-many are then selected for interview.

Stage 4 - interview.

I'm guessing your PS and ref scored below the cut-off and you didn't make it past stage 2.

Being from Northen Ireland you are counted as a British student. There's no quota for English students.
Reply 2
Original post by That Bearded Man

Personal statement wasn't what they were looking for.
Reply 3
I had an interview and offer from Manc last year, and my academic profile was worse than yours, and I had a UKCAT of 662.5. As theatrical said, NI students are welcome in any UK uni, and it is most likely that your PS and ref didn't pass.
I'm not sure about your ECs, but Manchester was one of the first (if not the first.. can't quite remember) unis to implement a full PBL curriculum, so teamwork would be a very high priority for them. If your PS didn't show this clearly enough - teamwork, communication, respect for colleagues etc - this might be a reason for them to reject you.
Thanks guys - my Personal Statement maybe was the weak link there

Cheers and good luck
Reply 5

massive unkempt beard.
Reply 6
Original post by Vazzyb
massive unkempt beard.

"WHAT"

Spoiler

Reply 7
lol ive used up all my reps!

Quick Reply