The Student Room Group

Non-smokers: would you date someone who smokes?

Scroll to see replies

Not a chance in hell.
Reply 61
Original post by emmielociraptor
Not a chance in hell.

A strong reaction, I like it :tongue:

Have you ever liked someone who smoked?
Reply 62
Well it would put me off.
Reply 63
I smoke, but would easily give it up if my OH really couldnt stand it. Keeping the habit going when you're with someone who hates it is almost like saying "I prefer cigarettes to you".
Yeah. It's not something I feel strongly enough about to put me off a person.

Although if their whole house stank of smoke to the extent that you left stinking of it even if they weren't smoking when you were there, I'd have reservations about spending much time there!
Would but smoking is quite gross.
Reply 66
Smoking, as well as heavy drinking, holds a high negative value in my mind when deciding the good points and bad points about a potential girlfriend.
Reply 67
No, I wouldn't.
Original post by Anonymous
A strong reaction, I like it :tongue:

Have you ever liked someone who smoked?

My ex was a "social smoker" (only at parties with his mates because he was a coward and buckled to peer pressure to seem cool and fit in) and when I found this out a couple of weeks into our relationship I made it very clear that if he wanted to stay with me then even this fake-smoker thing wasn't going to be okay. So as far as I know he didn't smoke while we were together.

Fortunately my current boyfriend also has a zero-tolerance attitude to partners smoking so all's fine and dandy in that arena.
Major turn off.
To all the people saying no, surely if you really liked someone it wouldn't bother you? My bf smokes and I can never taste it or smell it, I suppose I have just got used to it really as one would with anything. Smoking in the house is quite gross so I wouldn't put up with that, however if someone goes outside to have a cigarette, what is the problem with that?
Yeah but not around me. Soooo... probably wouldn't work out anyway.
Original post by OrangeSocks
To all the people saying no, surely if you really liked someone it wouldn't bother you? My bf smokes and I can never taste it or smell it, I suppose I have just got used to it really as one would with anything. Smoking in the house is quite gross so I wouldn't put up with that, however if someone goes outside to have a cigarette, what is the problem with that?

Refer yourself to your first question.
Original post by Drunk Punx
*sits and waits for the hordes of militant anti-smokers to come along*

They post on the smoking threads and it irritates the hell out of me... so here I am. Swings and roundabouts :h:

I wouldn't date a smoker and I'm hardly militant. My personal preference is simply that kissing a smoker makes my mouth taste like I've just eaten an ashtray.
Original post by Anonymous
Discuss. :smile:

nope :biggrin:
Original post by sparkjolt
I love how the people that say yes give decent, well thought out reasons why, while most of the people saying no have no reason whatsoever. What's so off putting?
The smell, like every other smell in existence ever, is not an issue, as if you're around them for over 15 minutes, you ignore it. The taste when kissing, I can't comment on, but I'm sure you'd get used to that as well, and the health risks for smoking are so over-blown it's insane. A couple of fags a day isn't going to give you terminal lung cancer. 5 packets a day will. Sure, it lowers your life expectancy a little, and it's a higher risk of cancer, but so does living in a city. You wouldn't not date some because they don't live in the country, would you?
There's a million and one ways that increase your risk of cancer - eating too much, drinking too much, just generally anything in excess can cause you cancer. Light smokers don't have to worry about all that 99% of the time. Sure, they may get cancer, but so do plenty of perfectly healthy people too.
I say all this as a non-smoker. I smoked for a year, and only quit because I cba to smoke any more.

Would go date a morbidly obese women? If not that all this was for nothing.
Personally no, I have lived more my aunt and her family for a little while and both the parents smoke and the au-pair smoked and I couldn't deal with it, was very glad when I got out of there. But the same is true for a snorer couldn't handle that either.
Reply 77
I love how the people that say yes give decent, well thought out reasons why, while most of the people saying no have no reason whatsoever. What's so off putting?
The smell, like every other smell in existence ever, is not an issue, as if you're around them for over 15 minutes, you ignore it.

Personally I spent weeks with my smoking aunt and I couldn't get over the smell, but I guess that's individual. However, the smell isn't my main issue.

A couple of fags a day isn't going to give you terminal lung cancer. 5 packets a day will.

A couple of fags a day could very well give you lung cancer. The relationship between physical symptoms and amount of cigarettes is very much non-linear. For example: just one cigarette a day puts your risk of heart disease just inbetween that of a smoker and a non-smoker, not 1/10th or so towards that of a smoker like one might think.

Sure, it lowers your life expectancy a little, and it's a higher risk of cancer, but so does living in a city.

Living in a city your whole life isn't nearly as harmful unless you stick your nose in the exhaust pipe. The Center for Disease Control in the US estimated that the average male smoker loses 13.2 years of his life and the average female smoker loses 14.5 years.

Smoking accounts for a minimum of 30% of all cancer deaths, especially in the lungs, voice box, throat, oral cavity, esophagus and bladder but also pancreas, cervix, kidney, stomach, leukemia etc. And that's just half of the deaths related to smoking. If that doesn't kill you there's always heart disease, aneurysms, stroke and chronic bronchitis among others. And if you're lucky enough to make it to 85 in spite of all this your chance of developing lung cancer and dying a painful death is 22% (males, 11% for females). The corresponding number for non-smokers is about 1%.

There's a million and one ways that increase your risk of cancer - eating too much, drinking too much, just generally anything in excess can cause you cancer. Light smokers don't have to worry about all that 99% of the time. Sure, they may get cancer, but so do plenty of perfectly healthy people too.

I should mention that I don't approve of eating too much or drinking too much either. People should be more careful with their bodies. The problem isn't just that bad habits kill you earlier, it's the way you die. Anyone who has ever been really really sick knows that it disrupts their entire life. You can't enjoy anything properly like you used to if you're in pain or can't breathe. And many of the illnesses I've listed will render you weak and handicapped for years before you die.

So, no, I could never be together with someone with that little respect for life. Sure, there's a chance that this person won't die from smoking but just the fact that he knows that he could and still does it is enough for me to say no.

Right now I feel like it's none of my business if people smoke, do drugs, cut themselves or just never brush their teeth (unless it's a bf or family member). But it will be, once I start paying taxes.
Reply 78
would 'date' but probably not wifey and definitely not marry
I wouldn't.
Although, my boyfriend did smoke occasionally (I didn't know beforehand).
He found out that I really hate it, so he quit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending