The Student Room Group

Non-smokers: would you date someone who smokes?

Scroll to see replies

ummm i would say no, but i have to admit i do seem to end up with smokers when im out. even though i dont smoke. :s-smilie: x
Reply 101
Original post by F i s
so there's greater probability in having a wife smoker than getting married to a smoker????

> doesn't know common slang
> mfw
if i was single, no...i really cannot stand the smell, but im slowly getting used to the smell since one of my best mate smokes...actually no **** it, it smells like ****
Reply 103
I did and had to stop kissing him as it was discusting. Didn't last long...
Bit of a silly question. It depends entirely on the person.
Reply 105
Original post by Rai
> mfw

suck

Reply 106
Original post by Rai
> mfw

suck

Original post by F i s
Yes, but only if they were not an addict.

This. I mean, I'm a smoker, but I don't like the term smoker because it implies I'm addicted and I'm not, and if I were then I'd seek help to cut down/quit. I'm already trying to cut down just because I like smoking a bit but not loooads and thinking about it, I may as well not most of the time, so I generally use smoking as a method to feel more drunk, making me spend less money on drinks. I realised I was using it as a method to relax before bed recently and stopped, thinking about doing some kind of breathing exercise/meditation instead as it's just better in general. :smile:
I mean, I would date a smoker as I technically am dating a smoker but he doesn't smoke regularly at all. And I've got with smokers. And I probably would fall for them and not think about it. I wouldn't like being with an addict though, and I would let them know I would rather they weren't and I'd support them in quitting but I would try not to be anal about it, and if I were in love with them I probably wouldn't stop myself from just being with them. I dislike how UNsocialable addicts get, and the way the substance takes over... it's not them actually smoking I mind.
Reply 108
No No No No No No

Urgh
Reply 109
Why is it so openly acceptable to admit you wouldn't date someone because they smoked, but if you said you wouldn't date someone because they were a Muslim you would get hated on? Both are personal life preferences, yet they are each treated differently?
If its abruptly based on health implications, why won't people feel the same about alcohol...?
I find smoking quite attractive in some girls for some reason. I personally never/mega rarely smoke.
But a girl with a cigarette is pretty empowering to me. She's a tough gal, I like it.
*witty remark only gamers will know*
Boomers don't usually date smokers. They're usually into witches.
Why would anyone want to be in a relationship with someone who has an incredibly increased rate of dieing young(er)? Not to mention most physical activities become harder for someone once they have been smoking for a period of time, due to the "tar" buildup on the lungs. Also, if the person is a constant smoker, the second hand smoke will start to affect your own health as well, and probably moreso because second hand smokers don't get a filter.

I sympathize with people of the past who smoked because it was a fad and they didn't no there was any health risks assosciated with it, but today there is no excuse for not knowing the health risks assosciated with smoking for the smoker and all others around them.

Question though, if anyone can answer it for me. Is smoking still a big thing in the UK? Not many people really smoke in America (or at least where I am from) anymore save for the old people who got addicted before they knew of the health risks. (And I am not refering to weed. Just cigarettes)
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
I wouldn't date a smoker and I'm hardly militant. My personal preference is simply that kissing a smoker makes my mouth taste like I've just eaten an ashtray.

Then does my statement apply to you?
No. No it doesn't.

If you think that I view all non-smokers as "the enemy" then you're severely mistaken.
Original post by comissargramsci
*witty remark only gamers will know*
Boomers don't usually date smokers. They're usually into witches.

:awesome:

I doubt they're into Spitters in any case :sexface:
Reply 116
Original post by Drunk Punx
*sits and waits for the hordes of militant anti-smokers to come along*

They post on the smoking threads and it irritates the hell out of me... so here I am. Swings and roundabouts :h:

I'll join you here.

My mate smokes, and his girlfriend doesn't. But she doesn't seem to mind people smoking that much, provided we don't do it inside.
Original post by edd360
Why is it so openly acceptable to admit you wouldn't date someone because they smoked, but if you said you wouldn't date someone because they were a Muslim you would get hated on? Both are personal life preferences, yet they are each treated differently?

WTF has a Muslim got to do with your health :rolleyes:

Next time think before you type.
Original post by edd360

would you get hated on, though? I'm not so sure.
I think your example is perfectly reasonable, I certainly wouldn't date a Muslim (or anyone religious for that matter, and I doubt they'd want to date me either).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuh2w2sFRMI
this used to be on tv all the time for about a year. The same guy made about 10 different commericials. They were sad at first but then they got irritating cause the robotic songs would get stuck in your head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending