The Student Room Group

Anyone an English student at Lady Margaret Hall?

I'm an American student and I will most likely be studying English at LMH next year. I am trying to choose possible tutorials for next year and I'm hoping someone who is at LMH or going to be at LMH could suggest some to me. I'm probably going to take a Shakespeare tutorial my first term as a primary and I'm hoping Milton for secondary. I'd like to take a primary in Romantic Literature, but I don't know if any of the tutors at LMH will do that.
Suggestions? Advice?
Thanks.
Reply 1
What is a primary and a secondary.
Reply 2
Every term each LMH student takes a primary tutorial and a secondary tutorial. I think one just involves twice as many papers (one paper each week as opposed to one paper every other week) as the other, or at least that's my understanding of it.
Reply 3
how are you so sure? is it deffered entry?
Reply 4
It's not 100%, but chances are very good. My university has a very good record with them for study abroad.
I have to propose which tutorials I plan to take there on the application - it's part of the app process. That's why I'm asking what other students who have been there or who are there recommend.
Reply 5
All this primary and secondary business sounds a bit strange - will you be going there as a JYA by any chance?:confused:
Reply 6
Original post by hobnob
All this primary and secondary business sounds a bit strange - will you be going there as a JYA by any chance?:confused:

Yes, I will be a visiting student.
Reply 7
Original post by hmsongbird2
Yes, I will be a visiting student.

Ah, OK. In that case I'm not sure if anyone will be able to give you definite advice, because normal undergraduates don't get to do all this picking and choosing.:smile:
As far as I know, though, you don't have to choose topics which could be covered by the tutors at LMH. Yes, it'll be easiest for the college to arrange, but if you're keen to do the Romantics, and there really weren't a suitable tutor at LMH, they'd try to find you a tutor elsewhere. So I don't think you've got too much to worry about.
Incidentally, it looks as though they do have someone who'd be able to teach the Romantics: link

By the way, are you sure you'll want to do Shakespeare and Milton in the same term? Unlike special rules apply for you, they're both papers requiring an awful lot of reading, and getting all of that done at the same time may be a bit tricky...
Reply 8
Original post by hobnob
Ah, OK. In that case I'm not sure if anyone will be able to give you definite advice, because normal undergraduates don't get to do all this picking and choosing.:smile:
As far as I know, though, you don't have to choose topics which could be covered by the tutors at LMH. Yes, it'll be easiest for the college to arrange, but if you're keen to do the Romantics, and there really weren't a suitable tutor at LMH, they'd try to find you a tutor elsewhere. So I don't think you've got too much to worry about.
Incidentally, it looks as though they do have someone who'd be able to teach the Romantics: link

By the way, are you sure you'll want to do Shakespeare and Milton in the same term? Unlike special rules apply for you, they're both papers requiring an awful lot of reading, and getting all of that done at the same time may be a bit tricky...

Thank you so much. For some reason, they actually do have me pick paper topics, though they ask for a second choice for each proposed class, as well. I think you're right about massive amounts of reading, though I'm not entirely sure how else to work this (I feel like I'll be doing a lot of reading either way). I feel like I'm going to be doing a lot of reading no matter what. I changed Shakespeare to a third term proposal and am requesting Augustan literature as a secondary tutorial instead (rather than Milton). Maybe that will help a little, since a lot of Augustan literature is poetry. I'm going to try to do classical literature (epics and/or drama) and the Romantics first term.

Do the lecturers teach tutorials? I wasn't sure if it was just the tutors who just taught tutorials or if lecturers did too.

Any chance you go to Oxford? Just wondering.
Reply 9
Original post by hmsongbird2
Thank you so much. For some reason, they actually do have me pick paper topics, though they ask for a second choice for each proposed class, as well.

That's probably because they'll be trying to fit you in with their regular undergraduates, so they won't have to get someone to teach just you, because that's harder to arrange. But if all else fails, they always have the fall-back option of getting a DPhil student from another college who is working on a relevant area to give you single tutorials. I've had faculty emails to that effect before.
I think you're right about massive amounts of reading, though I'm not entirely sure how else to work this (I feel like I'll be doing a lot of reading either way). I feel like I'm going to be doing a lot of reading no matter what. I changed Shakespeare to a third term proposal and am requesting Augustan literature as a secondary tutorial instead (rather than Milton). Maybe that will help a little, since a lot of Augustan literature is poetry. I'm going to try to do classical literature (epics and/or drama) and the Romantics first term.

Oh, you will. But that's part of the fun.:smile:
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to discourage you from doing both, it's just that with those two papers in particular, there's quite a lot of primary texts to get through, never mind the secondary stuff, so it could get a bit intense...
Do the lecturers teach tutorials? I wasn't sure if it was just the tutors who just taught tutorials or if lecturers did too.

Pretty much everyone who lectures at the faculty will be teaching as well, yes. There isn't actually a clear-cut distinction between 'lecturers' and 'tutors' - it's not an official job title, or anything.
Any chance you go to Oxford? Just wondering.

Why would I be posting in your thread if I didn't?:erm:

Quick Reply

Latest