The Student Room Group

fourier transforms question??

I am a bit stuck on this question... some help would be appreciated.

I think I can do a) and b)... but when I get to c I am stuck. Ill post what I have done...

Original post by importunate

Not studied fourier transfroms, so don't know why you're doing it the way you are.

But, applying the formula from part (a), using IBP, gives the desired result, after using the hint, and multiplying top and bottom by appropriate amounts to get into the form they desire.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Not studied fourier transfroms, so don't know why you're doing it the way you are.

But, applying the formula from part (a), using IBP, gives the desired result, after using the hint, and multiplying top and bottom by appropriate amounts to get into the form they desire.

Sorry I get what you are saying... great. Ill just have to see if it works now... have tried doing it over plus and minus infinity and it was horrible.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
still cant do it. some ideas would be appreciated . thanks
still cant do it. some ideas would be appreciated . thanks

Well f(x) = a-x for 0<= x <= a

So you want 22π0a(ax)cos(kx)dx\displaystyle\frac{2}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\int_0^a (a-x)cos(kx)dx

Upper limit is a, since f(x) = 0 for x>= a
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
dont you have to include the -x+a section?
dont you have to include the -x+a section?

Sorry, don't understand that statement.

If you're refering to the part of the graph from -a to 0, then it seems to me that the whole point of part (a) was to show that you don't need to consider it for an even function, as is the case here.
Reply 7
Thanks... but when I integrate this I get:

-(coa(ak)-1)*root2/(k^2*rootpi....

this isnt the answer I am looking for...
Thanks... but when I integrate this I get:

-(coa(ak)-1)*root2/(k^2*rootpi....

this isnt the answer I am looking for...

That's because you haven't applied the hint and multiplied top and bottom by appropriate amounts yet to get it into the form requested. Looks OK so far....
Reply 9
i can get the result but i end up with an erroneous 4 on bottom. ill post my workings.
Reply 10

2a22π(1cos(ak))a2k2\displaystyle\frac{2a^2}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{(1-cos(ak))}{a^2k^2}

=4a22πsin2(ak2)a2k2\displaystyle=\frac{4a^2}{ \sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{\sin^2(\frac{ak}{2})}{a^2k^2}

=a22πsin2(ak2)a2k2/4\displaystyle=\frac{a^2}{ \sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{\sin^2(\frac{ak}{2})}{a^2k^2/4}

=a22πsin2(ak2)(ak2)2\displaystyle=\frac{a^2}{ \sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{\sin^2(\frac{ak}{2})}{(\frac{ak}{2})^2}

QED.

Quick Reply

Latest