The Student Room Group

Should the government use the HOMELESS to THEIR advantage?

Now before you start accusing me of trolling, let me start by saying I have a lot of sympathy for the homeless (especially in this cold weather). Rather than begging for a couple of quid a day, would it not be better for the government to gather the homeless together and enforce them with jobs in return for a warm meal and bed. Jobs could vary such as: handing out leaflets, painting fences, gathering stray animals, helping the elderly, providing entertainment (e.g. dances, jokes for public events).

This will also stop our streets filling up with people begging for money.

How will the centre become established?

Well to start with the government will fund a large building within each major city. From there a random selection of homeless people will be made to go there. They will each be provided with their own basic equipment - bed, toothbrush, etc. The design will be a large hall full of beds (single rooms is not a good idea). They will each be set a specific job routine to follow - Each homeless person assigned will be branded so that everyone knows they belong to the centre. This will stop them slacking and not doing the job.

What happens if they just use the centre but don't work?

As mentioned above, the person will be branded. This means their progress is monitored. If, for whatever reason, they refuse to do a days work in exchange for comfort, then they will simply be removed from the centre in exchange for another homeless person.

So is this optional?

No. The selection process is random and its whoever is picked up from the streets. Of course, if the person doesn't wish to be there then he/she will have to go against the rules in order to be removed. But for the mean time they must follow the routine.

It will help those who are homeless

Apart from the bed and meal, how else are they rewarded?

Of course, this is just an idea, but with each 6-month of service they will be given £100 into a personal savings account. If they follow the job for 5 years then that saving will be given to them. However, if they decide to go against the system 2 years in, then that saving will be removed from their personal saving.

What are your thoughts?

Please note this is just an idea. I'd like some other ideas too.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CountMancula
Now before you start accusing me of trolling, let me start by saying I have a lot of sympathy for the homeless (especially in this cold weather). Rather than begging for a couple of quid a day, would it not be better for the government to gather the homeless together and enforce them with jobs in return for a warm meal and bed. Jobs could vary such as: handing out leaflets, painting fences, gathering stray animals, helping the elderly, providing entertainment (e.g. dances, jokes for public events).

Well to start with the government will fund a large building within each major city. From there a random selection of homeless people will be made to go there. They will each be provided with their own basic equipment - bed, toothbrush, etc. The design will be a large hall full of beds (single rooms is not a good idea). They will each be set a specific job routine to follow - Each homeless person assigned will be branded so that everyone knows they belong to the centre. This will stop them slacking and not doing the job.

As mentioned above, the person will be branded. This means their progress is monitored. If, for whatever reason, they refuse to do a days work in exchange for comfort, then they will simply be removed from the centre in exchange for another homeless person.

So is this optional?

No. The selection process is random and its whoever is picked up from the streets. Of course, if the person doesn't wish to be there then he/she will have to go against the rules in order to be removed. But for the mean time they must follow the routine.

Of course, this is just an idea, but with each 6-month of service they will be given £100 into a personal savings account. If they follow the job for 5 years then that saving will be given to them. However, if they decide to go against the system 2 years in, then that saving will be removed from their personal saving.

What are your thoughts?

A lot of homeless people are working and are paying tax and NI.
Just because they're homeless it doesn't mean they haven't got jobs.
:angry:
Also see : http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2010/10/31/uk-grocer-morrisons-creating-jobs-homeless-people/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doubledog
Also see : http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2010/10/31/uk-grocer-morrisons-creating-jobs-homeless-people/

"The worst lies are the lies we tell ourselves. We live in denial of what we do, even what we think. We do this because we're afraid. We fear we will not find love, and when we find it we fear we'll lose it. We fear that if we do not have love we will be unhappy"

Wake up mate. :s-smilie:
Reply 3

Im pretty sure you cant just put homeless people on a stage and laugh at them for entertainment? Does your plan include poking them with a big stick to make them dance? I admit it might be slightly amusing but I think it might be considered unethical
Reply 4
Original post by Doubledog

I dont think that is a unfair assumption seeing as the first thing one usually deducts from his pay packet is surely rent and food.
Reply 5
Homeless should be given more money and help.......Forget about Job seekers they should be given community jobs such as bucketmen or street swepers

its my own opinon :smile:
Reply 6

So is this optional?

What are your thoughts?

Evidently you don't know anything about homelessness. For one thing, not all homeless people are rough sleepers or beggars like you suggest. If people are branded and eventually move into independant accomodation, they'll still have that brand. Generally, rough sleepers have poorer health so they may not even be fit to work, or as you put it, 'entertain'. You should really look into homelessness before you post something so ignorant.
Reply 7
You highlight the main flaw in this. In that the homeless are now dependant on who ever controls these buildings. Therefore they can easily be exploited by people looking to make some dollar. Whereas relevant charity schemes aim to get the homeless on their own two feet so that they can go from there, your scheme is effectively imprisoning them into a particular way of life that they will not be able to escape from.
Reply 8
Well something has to be done. Homelessness is a massive cost to the government. But the main causes of it should be the focus really.
Reply 9
Original post by jonski
Im pretty sure you cant just put homeless people on a stage and laugh at them for entertainment? Does your plan include poking them with a big stick to make them dance? I admit it might be slightly amusing but I think it might be considered unethical

No, you have the wrong image. It will be to their discretion. Besides, it wouldn't be publicised like "HOMELESS DANCE OFF TONIGHT AT 21:00". It will just be like any other form of entertainment at an event.

Original post by Gerd Loki
Homeless should be given more money and help.......Forget about Job seekers they should be given community jobs such as bucketmen or street swepers

its my own opinon :smile:

That's what I was hinting towards.

Original post by route37
Evidently you don't know anything about homelessness. For one thing, not all homeless people are rough sleepers or beggars like you suggest. If people are branded and eventually move into independant accomodation, they'll still have that brand. Generally, rough sleepers have poorer health so they may not even be fit to work, or as you put it, 'entertain'. You should really look into homelessness before you post something so ignorant.

Evidently you haven't read my ideas properly. By homless, I am talking about the rough sleepers and beggars. The poor health will improve once they start sleeping in a normal location and eat warm meals.
Reply 10

What are your thoughts?

My god, you want to pay them £16 per month for full time work? Which they don't even get unless work for 5 years?
The best way to approach the situation is to rehabilitate and re-integrate the homeless people into society, not enslaving them.

No offence but I'm quite glad you don't run our country.
Original post by adam_zed
You highlight the main flaw in this. In that the homeless are now dependant on who ever controls these buildings. Therefore they can easily be exploited by people looking to make some dollar. Whereas relevant charity schemes aim to get the homeless on their own two feet so that they can go from there, your scheme is effectively imprisoning them into a particular way of life that they will not be able to escape from.

But the scheme is surely better than sleeping rough under a viaduct in Slough. It will help them both physically and mentally!
Reply 12
Yes, a sort of....

Spoiler

Original post by Cuckoo91
My god, you want to pay them £16 per month for full time work? Which they don't even get unless work for 5 years?
The best way to approach the situation is to rehabilitate and re-integrate the homeless people into society, not enslaving them.

No offence but I'm quite glad you don't run our country.

Hello? £16 a week to work, get food and a bed. Or earn less to hang around begging on the cold streets. Hmmm let me think...
Reply 14
But the scheme is surely better than sleeping rough under a viaduct in Slough. It will help them both physically and mentally!

to be honest, I think you need assistance living in Slough whether you are homeless or not!
Original post by darigan
Yes, a sort of....

Spoiler

Good one. No its accomodation. Work takes place WITHIN the city.
Original post by adam_zed
to be honest, I think you need assistance living in Slough whether you are homeless or not!

I guess it’s a nice place to live if you like 1970s architecture and industrial estates. :smile:
This just wouldn't work, for so many reasons. Yes, homeless people should have access to help where they can get shelter and help to find their own permanent, address- but you can't force people to do this if they don't want to.
Original post by Gemma :)!
This just wouldn't work, for so many reasons. Yes, homeless people should have access to help where they can get shelter and help to find their own permanent, address- but you can't force people to do this if they don't want to.

How can they get their own permanent address with no money? Work=rising up.
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending