The Student Room Group

Should the government use the HOMELESS to THEIR advantage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CountMancula

Evidently you haven't read my ideas properly. By homless, I am talking about the rough sleepers and beggars. The poor health will improve once they start sleeping in a normal location and eat warm meals.

Oh I read your ideas.

Did you know rough sleepers are monitored and such things called 'hostels' exist to get rough sleepers off the streets so they can sleep in a bed and claim benefits to pay for food?

Do you know why some people choose to sleep on the streets?

Do you know why people are living on the streets in the first place?
Gathering stray animals? Hmmm, I think you're onto something here...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cuckoo91
Maybe you should attend some more math classes.. You're proposing to pay them £16 per month, not per week. In actual fact you're saying you'll pay them £4 per week. Which is around £2 less that than the national minimum wage per hour for anyone over the age of 21.

Give me a break it was a typo.
Yes £16 a month (a weekly amount would damage tax payers too much). Listen, they will be getting FREE accomodation AND food plust the £4 for personal savings for when their contract ends in five years.
How can they get their own permanent address with no money? Work=rising up.

If you read my post, you'll see that I said they should have access to help. Yes, this might mean taking part in some kind of "job" of sorts where they can raise enough money for the first couple of month's rent, but I hate to break it to you- a lot of homeless people would prefer to spend money on drink/drugs than on finding permenant residency.
Reply 24
Each homeless person assigned will be branded so that everyone knows they belong to the centre. This will stop them slacking and not doing the job.

?

The reasons that people become homeless are often an awful more complicated than just job-loss (Or not working).

http://www.springerlink.com/content/h337868050421348/ (Or any number of other sources)

Your plan does not properlarly countenance the causes homelessness. I think you need to go back to the drawing board. Issues that need to be looked at include:

* Rehabilitation of criminals
* Better mental health support
* Better support for victims of domestic abuse
* More training opportinities
* etc etc (this list could be quite long)
Original post by route37
Oh I read your ideas.

Did you know rough sleepers are monitored and such things called 'hostels' exist to get rough sleepers off the streets so they can sleep in a bed and claim benefits to pay for food?

Yes.

What good is that? With this scheme, they will be under contract to ensure a place to sleep every night. It will help everyone else as they are doing JOBS which will benefit the PUBLIC area.

Yes.

Number of reasons, Sir.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Aramiss18
I dont think that is a unfair assumption seeing as the first thing one usually deducts from his pay packet is surely rent and food.

food yes , rent no
If you're working but can't afford rent in say London what do you do?
And do you think the people who stand out in the cold trying to sell the Big Issue aren't working?
Reply 27
Give me a break it was a typo.
Yes £16 a month (a weekly amount would damage tax payers too much). Listen, they will be getting FREE accomodation AND food plust the £4 for personal savings for when their contract ends in five years.

So you want to pay them £4 per week which they wont even receive until after 5 years? lol, you have a very warped sense of reality..
I'm not saying I personally have any immediate solutions to homelessness, but I can tell you now - neither do you.
Sounds like some giant Big issue.
You have no sympathy, you are simply making a mockery. The incentive is to incorporate charity with govt focus into ensuring those who are in difficult circumstances can be relieved. Not some forced labour clowns!
Reply 30
You have some nice ideas, but we shouldn't force homeless people to do anything. We should only try to help them.
Original post by Low Profile
You have no sympathy, you are simply making a mockery. The incentive is to incorporate charity with govt focus into ensuring those who are in difficult circumstances can be relieved. Not some forced labour clowns!

I do have sympathy, which is why I believe this idea will work. Forced labour clowns? Not really. They will be working, yes, but the jobs wouldn't be horrific.
Reply 32
I'm sorry did u say BRAND people? like cattle? what your proposing is basically slavery, which we abolished centuries ago with good reason.
£500 for 5 years its ridiculus and would be bad for the economy as shown by the deep souths economy in America before the civil war they'd be taking jobs off people while not circulating capital it's not only immoral its ridiculus.

"the air of England is too pure for any slave to breathe"
I do have sympathy, which is why I believe this idea will work. Forced labour clowns? Not really. They will be working, yes, but the jobs wouldn't be horrific.

Providing entertainment for the higher classes is what you inferred. Clearly you have not thought this through.
Original post by amholcroft
I'm sorry did u say BRAND people? like cattle? what your proposing is basically slavery, which we abolished centuries ago with good reason.
£500 for 5 years its ridiculus and would be bad for the economy as shown by the deep souths economy in America before the civil war they'd be taking jobs off people while not circulating capital it's not only immoral its ridiculus.

"the air of England is too pure for any slave to breathe"

By brand, I mean keep a record of who's part of the sceme. The brand would be like a bracelet or something.

This idea will bring the nation together with a WORKING ethic. There are too many poeple unfamilar with work. If your homeless, and you get offered a centre with a bed and food along with a weeks work. TAKE IT. You need a bit of bottle to make a stable country.
Original post by Low Profile
Providing entertainment for the higher classes is what you inferred. Clearly you have not thought this through.

I didn't say higher classes. I said public events.
Reply 36
By brand, I mean keep a record of who's part of the sceme. The brand would be like a bracelet or something.

This idea will bring the nation together with a WORKING ethic. There are too many poeple unfamilar with work. If your homeless, and you get offered a centre with a bed and food along with a weeks work. TAKE IT. You need a bit of bottle to make a stable country.

bit of bottle? ever seen oliver twist? we used to have those centre they were called poor houses they were degrading cruel places
Original post by amholcroft
bit of bottle? ever seen oliver twist? we used to have those centre they were called poor houses they were degrading cruel places

Oliver Twist was a fictional novel. It was also set in the 1800s = a different era.
I don't think this would work. You can try and fix homelessness but there will always be those who will refuse this as they don't take charity. The homeless man in my town was put into a council accommodation against his will and he made a fire in the living room like he would do when he slept in the park, and the whole flat set alight.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
oliver twist was based on real events and the cirumstances with homeless people are the same not much better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending