The Student Room Group

[B]Which uni is better for Accounting and Finance, Edinburgh or Exeter?[/B]

Hello everyone! I'm currently doing a business foundation course in the University of Exeter after completion of Sixth Form in Hong Kong, and my preferred major subject at university is Accounting and Finance.

Despite the comparatively high local ranking of A&F in the University of Exeter, the global ranking of this uni is much lower than that of the University of Edinburgh in "QS World Ranking - Overall & Employer Review" and "US NEWS", and the graduate prospect of Exeter is generally lower than that of Edinburgh in local rankings like Times, Sunday Times, Guardian and Complete. Therefore, I am really worrying about the employability of graduates from Exeter in view of its low worldwide popularity.

My Questions are:
1) Which one, Exeter or Edinburgh, is more suitable for me if I may go back to Hong Kong or mainland China to pursue my career after graduation?

2) Actually I am quite interested in the "Accounting and Finance with Industrial Experience" course in Exeter as it guarantees a year's work experience in the Third year. However, the A&F course in Edinburgh does not ensure a work placement. Is undertaking work experience really important for A&F students?

3) What aspects should I focus on more while making decision? global ranking, course structure, local subject ranking or etc.?

Many Thanks!
I'd probably choose Edinburgh. Isn't that the 4 year programme? If so you be funded for a Masters effectively. It's extremely difficult to get onto a financial Masters at Edinburgh too, IMO.

I have no experience of Ex. but I know a guy who went there and and he speaks highly of it.

Unfortunately, I chose Durham :-)
Original post by pretz118
Hello everyone! I'm currently doing a business foundation course in the University of Exeter after completion of Sixth Form in Hong Kong, and my preferred major subject at university is Accounting and Finance.

Despite the comparatively high local ranking of A&F in the University of Exeter, the global ranking of this uni is much lower than that of the University of Edinburgh in "QS World Ranking - Overall & Employer Review" and "US NEWS", and the graduate prospect of Exeter is generally lower than that of Edinburgh in local rankings like Times, Sunday Times, Guardian and Complete. Therefore, I am really worrying about the employability of graduates from Exeter in view of its low worldwide popularity.

My Questions are:
1) Which one, Exeter or Edinburgh, is more suitable for me if I may go back to Hong Kong or mainland China to pursue my career after graduation?

2) Actually I am quite interested in the "Accounting and Finance with Industrial Experience" course in Exeter as it guarantees a year's work experience in the Third year. However, the A&F course in Edinburgh does not ensure a work placement. Is undertaking work experience really important for A&F students?

3) What aspects should I focus on more while making decision? global ranking, course structure, local subject ranking or etc.?

Many Thanks!

That said, the industrial experience element of the Exeter course is a massive advantage. My friends that did a programme like that all realised that they didn't want to be accountants by the end of their placements (they found it soul destroying, apparently) so they were able to plan alternatives before graduation.

Experience counts for almost as much as a degree these days so there's another good reason to choose Ex.

Check out the financial software being used at both places and compare.
Also see which modules they have that might interest you. You may prefer the one with more financial accounting than management accounting courses if you want to work in the industry.

Ask whether the courses exempt you from any CIMA and ACA professional exams too.

Exeter is a bit more expensive to live in than Edinburgh. Edinburgh nightlife is slightly better IMO.

Good luck!!!
Reply 3
I'd say Exeter, for the industry experience and the reputation, seeing as you can't actually visit them (I assume).

Mr Student
x

Most accounting related courses give exemptions these days, though there are rarely lots of them and the professional qualifications would cost the same and take the same amount of time.
Negged for trying and failing to make your title bold.
Original post by Ice_Queen
I'd say Exeter, for the industry experience and the reputation, seeing as you can't actually visit them (I assume).

Most accounting related courses give exemptions these days, though there are rarely lots of them and the professional qualifications would cost the same and take the same amount of time.

It's good to know if one course does have more exemptions than another though, surely? You have enough on your plate when studying for the professionals so having more exemptions is something of a blessing.
Reply 6
Forget about the global ranking! In one league table, Warwick isn't even in the top 200. I just know Exeter has been expanding the Business School and the A & F is pretty strong and competitive.
Can't really compare the 2 universities because I know little about Edinburgh other than the sightseeing part :biggrin:
As for employability, I think there won't be much difference because both are well regarded of by employers. More decisive factors are what you learn, your experience and performance at interviews!!
Reply 7
Original post by Mr Student
It's good to know if one course does have more exemptions than another though, surely? You have enough on your plate when studying for the professionals so having more exemptions is something of a blessing.

That's true but I wouldn't choose a university based on it.

One problem with exemptions is sometimes they don't quite prepare you for the next stage of your professional qualifications, so it can just as easily be a blessing in disguise not to have them!
Reply 8
Thanks for your invaluable comments!

Actually I prefer those degrees with work placements as well because it can "beautify" my CV and let me know what is distinctive about myself.

In fact the possibility of getting promoted to Uni of Exeter is comparatively high because I'm currently doing a foundation degree in this uni, and a conditional offer has been made(an overall grade of 65%, with at least 65% in each subject in the foundation course).

However, what I am truly worrying about is the student quality in Exeter. Although only 74-7x places of A&F degree in Exeter are offered to students in public, actually Exeter accepts the enrollment of many foundation students here each year.
As far as I've observed during the 1st term studying here, the "level" of foundation students here varies a lot in terms of maturity(not to mention language competence).

For instance, some of them even don't know what to do prior to the UCAS deadline and just expect the foundation manager to "babysit" them; some of them just rely on the advices from "1-2 friends currently studying in Exeter" only while making decision and don't know how to make comparisons of different unis by doing research in the Internet on their own; When I mentioned I've sent emails to other universities to inquire about the specific entrance requirements, surprisingly, they asked me "how to ask via email? How did you write the letter? Is it just 1-2 sentences only?"!!! Oh my god, it's barely imaginable to see a would-be uni fresher asking "how to write an email to make inquiry"!!!

It is claimed that the interaction of schoolmates and learning environment are equally important. I just want to know more students who are both competent and purposeful, rather than those who are idling their time and money here!

Even though I don't find myself any better than them in maturity and English level, at least I know what I'm doing now.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Hence, do you guys think that there may be a huge disparity in the general student quality between Edinburgh and Exeter?
Look at Lancaster too if you can-they have a year in work.
Original post by pretz118
Hence, do you guys think that there may be a huge disparity in the general student quality between Edinburgh and Exeter?

Not really. I'm guessing the majority of students at both unis will come from straight from A Level. Foundation year students who need babysitting will have to shape up or else they'll be kicked out if they fail Y1 and fail their resists in summer.

I wouldn't worry too much about aspects of this nature, think about getting a job after you've succeeded at either of these high-ranking establishments!
Reply 12
Re Mr Student:

Thanks for your advice! By the way, the English requirement of A&F in Edinburgh is an overall IELTS score of 6.5, with at least 5.5 in each component, according to their reply email.
Actually I took IELTS Exam for the first time in Sep 2010 in HK. However, I didn't submit the result to UCAS because I found the result very unsatisfactory and "not presentable"(6.5 overall, with two 7s in Reading and Writing as well as two 5.5s in Listening and Speaking).
I've applied for retaking IELTS in Jan 2011 in the UK and I am confident that I will be able to obtain better results this time(at least in Speaking).

My doubts are:

1) Actually my IELTS result meets the requirement of Edinburgh but they haven't known it because I didn't submit the result. Hence, should I wait for the new IELTS result released in Jan 2011 and then send the better one to Edinburgh, or send my first IELTS result to them first as soon as possible or send both respectively?

2) When I consulted Edinburgh, their reply is "For IELTS we require an overall score of 6.5 with at least 5.5 in each component. Please submit your IELTS results as soon as possible. Submit whichever result you feel is most beneficial to your application." In your opinion, what does "submitting whichever result you feel is most beneficial to my application" imply?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Sorry for being long-winded. I'm really apprehensive about my near future because it greatly determines where to work and what types of people I will encounter after graduation. Hence, I have to be very circumspect about every single decision I make. So, I'm really afraid that my 1st IELTS result may displease the uni. ><
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Mr Student
Not really. I'm guessing the majority of students at both unis will come from straight from A Level. Foundation year students who need babysitting will have to shape up or else they'll be kicked out if they fail Y1 and fail their resists in summer.

I wouldn't worry too much about aspects of this nature, think about getting a job after you've succeeded at either of these high-ranking establishments!

No, most students in Edinburgh will have come straight from highers. They will therefore be a year behind their Exeter counterparts in first year, hence the extra year of the degree; although this is meant to be balanced out by the fact that in theory they should have started after S5, which is one year before their Exeter counterparts.
I would go to Edinburgh over Exeter for any course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending